Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

What shotgun for quail and clays?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Range Rat, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Range Rat

Range Rat

Mar 5, 2009
    GA & SC
    Hey all,
    I went quail hunting for the first time last week. Man, that was fun and I could do it again. My buddy lent me his Ruger Red Label 20 gauge and I killed my share of birds. It seemed to point unnaturally for me (seemed too low, couldn't get my head down enough to sight down the barrel) and I would like to consider other options. No need for a showpiece/fancy gun but I don't want junk either. Don't mind paying for quality. I'd like a high quality, moderately priced "field" gun that I can push through high grass, brambles and brush with and not worry about beating it up. Any advice you can give me will be very appreciated.
  2. Anything that fits you. I've killed them ( quail ) with autoloader, pumps and OU. Get a gun that fits you and 1st decide on what type of shotgun you want and what's legal for your neck of the woods for quail.

3. Personally I think the perfect quail gun and the perfect clays gun are on opposite ends of the shotgun spectrum.

A perfect quail gun is a light weight 20 ga that can be carried in the fields all day long. You what a shorter, light, fast swinging barrel to get on the unpredictable target fast. Recoil is not a huge factor unless you miss a lot you probably won't fire a box of shells in a day. We are allowed 6 quail per day.

The perfect clays gun is a 12 ga with a longer heavier barrel for a smooth swing on a predictable target. The clays gun should be low recoil for extended shooting sessions. one round of trap or skeet is 25 shots, a round of Sporting Clays is usually 50 shots. Shooting several rounds in a day is normal. I usually fire 75-100 shots on a visit to the trap or skeet range.

But it really depends, what are you going to do more? I shoot more clay targets than bird hunt, so my choice would be closer to a dedicated clays gun that I would take bird hunting occasionally.

If I had to pick one gun to do both I would probably choose a semi auto 12 ga like a Remington 1187.

However if I were in the position to hunt more and shoot clays less I would probably pick a nice over under 20 ga.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  4. gunrunner0

Apr 30, 2009
    You might look at a Browning Citori, or if you have a big budget you cant beet a Blaser. Both are light and wee built shotguns. If your looking on the cheaper side, a simple Remington 870 with a 26" barrel for quail and a 28" or even 30" for clays. Just my opinion though.
  5. A auto loader would be much quicker on follow ups. Something to think about.