close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What semi auto 22 pistol

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by dartor, Aug 23, 2014.

1. glockman66

glockman66

Mar 23, 2004
    I once taught a youngster how to shoot a Ruger MKII pistol by going the Barney Fife route. First there was a lot of familiarizing him with the empty pistol and dry firing, When I felt that he understood how the pistol worked, I loaded one round into the magazine and let him pull the bolt, chamber the round and then fire. When I was confident that he could handle the weapon properly, I then went to two rounds(with the second round being self loaded). Again I waited until I was confident that he could operate the weapon safely and then went to a full magazine. While a Ruger MKII would be a good choice, I would possibly also think that something like a Ruger Single Six would be a good choice to teach youngsters. That is unless buying two weapons would really strain the wallet, then I would just stick with the MKII.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. For teaching the basics, I would go with a Ruger MkII or Browning Buckmark. Both are very accurate and easy to shoot. However, later on as a prequel to moving on to a centerfire handgun, something like one of the S&W revolvers in .22 if he wants to gravitate to the wheel gun world or a S&W M&P22 if he wants to gravitate towards the automatics wouldn't be a bad option as both mimic their centerfire counterparts far more closely than the Ruger MkII or Buckmark would.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014

3. glockman66

glockman66

Mar 23, 2004
    The endless list of aftermarket accessories for the Ruger MKIIs/MKIIIs and Ruger 22/45s make it a better choice, IMHO. I dropped a Volquartsen sear into a MKII pistol and gave it about an 18oz. trigger pull. That trigger was better than the trigger on a S&W 41 that I tried out. Same goes for the aftermarket accessories for the Ruger 10/22 rifle. The drop in sear for the Ruger pistols and the drop in hammer for the Ruger 10/22 rifles make a world of difference in their preformance and don't cost an arm/leg to buy.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  4. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor

Aug 1, 2012
    La Mesa, NM
    I just took possession of a Ruger 22/45...the basic model, 4" bbl with slab-sides, semi-fixed sights and 2 mags for 275 to the door...I use these little gems all the time when I instruct "new" or very young shooters...if you need a link, the guy that sold mine to me has another one in stock...PM me and I will send you his way

5. dcc12

dcc12

Nov 30, 2010
    For new I really like the Ruger MKII & III, and the Browning.
    But I would not take for my Colt woodsman's

6. ksmedman

ksmedman

Nov 24, 2011
    In the middle
    I've been very happy with my Ruger MkII. I've had a lot of luck with novice and new young shooters on it also.
    I put a Volquartsen trigger and sear group in it, and it's just sweet. Easy to shoot well, and no flinches for new shooters.

7. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Personally I'd start him on a revolver. Work him up to DA. After that, then move to a semi-auto.

But that's just my opinion. . . .

8. AZson

AZson

Oct 5, 2005
    Tucson
  9. glockman66

glockman66

Mar 23, 2004

I would say that the egg is on the face of customer and the face of the dealer and that they were more to blame for what happened than Ruger. If anyones lives in a state like lib dem CO, I would find out and know the laws BEFORE I SHIPPED ANY WEAPON AND OR MAGAZINES ANYWHERE! Especially since the MagPul debacle in CO where two CO politicians were recalled and one CO politician resigned because of their lib agenda voting. I would not hold Ruger to blame. And why did he send three magazines back, I would have sent the small capacity magazine that originally came with the weapon. I have always been told not to send a weapon back for repair to any repair station with any parts(especially aftermarket type parts) that you don't want lose or can't afford to lose. BTW, I was just wondering, do you actually own a Ruger, a Sig 1911-22, a Berretta ARX16, a Buckmark or any similar type of .22LR pistol?

10. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  11. ghostriderxt

ghostriderxt

Mar 3, 2013
    S&W M&P 22 built by Walter, I bought one and was pleasantly impressed, it functions perfectly with any ammo from federal bulk to CCI stingers and accurate also. nice and light for young shooters.

12. steve1911

steve1911

Jul 12, 2004
    oregon
    Ruger single six or Colt frontier scout for single action handguns, auto's Ruger mk series or Browning Buckmark's.

Al so S&W 617's would be a good choice.

1911club#410

13. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Some nice choices there...

14. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I hope you don't really think Walther builds that thing...

:faint:

15. Ruger Single Six:

Every shot counts. Conserves ammo. Revolvers don't spray and pray.
    Shoots shorts, CB caps, long rifles, any velocity, cheap crap, stingers, anything. Consider a .22 magnum conversion cylinder also.

Either it's cocked, or it isn't: safest action possible.
    Nice big target sights for marksmanship.

I'll never outgrow mine, even after later adding a 22/45 and an SR22.

16. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    Ozarks
    Buckmark or MK ll are great semi auto choices.

As a kid I liked the Double Nine and Ruger convertible revolvers. A S&W Masterpiece or 617 would be even nicer if money wasn't a factor.

Any of those are quality and should last a few generations.

17. Have have taken my two sons (eight and eleven) shooting with 22 rifles, revolvers and semi-autos and hands down they shoot the best and seem to enjoy my Smith & Wesson M&P22 the most. Twelve rounds. Full size grip. Decent sights (could be better).

Another great option IMO would be either Ruger 22 Long models (Mark III or SR22).

With regards to a 22 revolver with kids, the weight seems to a problem for smaller kids. I would still recommend teaching/training them about the revolver. I have a single action Heritage Rough Rider that works well.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  18. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    The really nice one is the pre war S&W 22 Outdoorsman...

I'd take that over the post war K22 Masterpiece.

19. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

For a semi auto I'd go with a Buckmark, but the Ruger is a good choice too.

Ruger has a newer model single action revolver called the Single Ten, looks mighty nice and I think would be a great choice. I wouldn't mind having one myself if they ever decide to make .22LR ammo again.

20. bear62

bear62

Feb 5, 2005
    Rocky Mountains
    I can only speak for the Browning Buckmark....... I like it a lot.