Glock Talk banner

what say you..my 9.mm reloads

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  kc lefty 
#1 ·
Hello all I am more used to handloading stuff that starts with a four, so... tell me what you think of my 9m.m. start loads 19 glock.
Of course I will chrono these and check for accuracy,function ,velocity, pressure, etc..

124. gr. montana gold encapsulated round nose,5.6 gr. unique, cci small pistol primer, mixed cases , o.c.l. 1.140"

115 rem, j.h.p. ,also using 5.6gr.unique,cci small pistol primer, mixed cases, o.c.l. 1.100"

I am determined to make a good load with unique because it has worked so well for me in .44spl. and .45a.c.p. thanks for your input and or load data, happy glocking... I will kick back and watch replies before I hit the bench and start stuffing cases!!

#2 ·
It appears to me that you are starting out with max or near max loads. Unless of course you have already worked up to these.
Where in MN are you from?

#3 ·
It appears to me that you are starting out with max or near max loads. Unless of course you have already worked up to these.
Where in MN are you from?
Not really. The 115gr load is fine, mayber a bit short though. The 124gr load is warm. I have gone farther myself. Speer lists 5.6gr-6.3gr @ 1.125" for the 115grJHP and 5.2gr-5.8gr w/ a 124grJHP @ 1.120". IF they are working fine in your gun, you should be good.

#4 ·
.............115 rem, j.h.p. ,also using 5.6gr.unique,cci small pistol primer, mixed cases, o.c.l. 1.100......!!
A little on the warm side I think.

I'm loading 9mm 115gr FMJ with 5.3 grains of Unique, WSP and an overall length of 1.15".

That load averages 1140fps at 75 deg F. out of a Beretta 92. That is almost exactly the same as WWB cronographed out of the same gun.

#5 ·
Just for comparison to your data used. In my G19 with 124 grain Win FMJ, RP 124 FMJ, Speer 124 FMJ , and RP Golden Saber HP with Unique powder and CCI SP primers at 5.1 grains velocity runs approximately 1050 fps. That's with oal's from 1.150-1.160" for the FMJ Roundnose and 1.120" for the 124 Golden Saber HP. Others have posted that in their pistols 5.5 grains of Unique with 124 grain bullets that velocity ran from 1128-1170 fps. Your charge is definitely on the warm side for the 124 grain load. Please post any chrono data when you test your loads.

#7 ·
Good info coming, thanks guys!!

I kind of thought the 124gr. load was warm too... But I found some info showing that as a starting load!?! maybe old info??
Any who keep it coming.. and I can see I will be dropping that 124.gr. powder charge a little bit, and probably open up the 115gr.o.c.l. .010" or so!

#9 ·
The only true way to know is by velocity. Chrono the loads and adjust accordingly. Load data is a GUIDE designed to get you close. It's impossible to replicate lab results in the field. Decide on a how fast you want them, study the data and build some loads. Then, shoot them from YOUR gun and check the velocity! YMMV

Tom

#10 ·
The only true way to know is by velocity. Chrono the loads and adjust accordingly. Load data is a GUIDE designed to get you close. It's impossible to replicate lab results in the field. Decide on a how fast you want them, study the data and build some loads. Then, shoot them from YOUR gun and check the velocity! YMMV

Tom
Well vel alone is also just a guide. Vel varies from pistol to pistol, bbl length to bbl length, so trying to "guess" pressures by vel will get you into pressure trouble very quickly (ie, trying to get "book" vel in a G26:wow:). If the loads in farnorth's pistol are not showing pressure issues, then they are "safe" in his pistol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.