Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

What optic for your defensive AR

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Two Guns, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

Nov 4, 2004
    What do all you guys like for an optic for your defensive AR15 ? This is not for a sniper rifle but for a defensive type AR. I will be getting an optic to go on top of my carry handle as my AR is an A2 with fixed carry handle.Thanks in advance.
  2. Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005

3. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    Aimpoint Micro.
  4. denn1911

Oct 14, 2010
    New England
    I prefer a Red Dot sight for my defensive AR. The RD is fast to pick up and allows for distances from CQB to at least 200 yards. I have an Aimpoint Micro on top of mine presently, and it has been great. Good luck.
  5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Aimpoint H-1 (Micro).

The A2 handle will not give you many options, the most effective one (still a compromise) is a "gooseneck". Aimpoint makes one specifically for this purpose as do a few others, which mounts a red dot forward of the carry handle over the handguard and allows cowitness.
  6. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    This, but I would say a fixed carry handle is one time to look at an optic with a bigger window, like the Aimpoint Comp M2/M3 series and PRO optics. The bigger tube makes them a little easier to use with fixed sights, IMO, but they are also heavier. A gooseneck mount is hands down the way to go, though, as an optic mounted ABOVE the carry handle is often very uncomfortable.
  7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    I agree on that one, though in the end switching to a flattop receiver makes more sense.

"I" use a Micro, I wasn't recommending one specifically for that role.

In fact a 1.5 or 2X ACOG may also be an option, though they're not perfect.
  8. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    I'd like a T-1 but don't own one. I have an Aimpoint Pro, EOTech 512, Trijicon Accupoint 1.5x4, and Leupold Mark 4 for my long range AR. For defensive I would choose an Aimpoint Pro or if your budget can handle it that Micro would be top choices.
  9. For a defensive AR I'd suggest eotech. But an Aimpoint would be a close second.

I like the 65 moa reticle and the large glass window. You can keep both eyes open and not miss things in your peripheral. The large circle makes target aquisition very easy, and the center 1 moa dot helps with more precise shots. No mount is needed and BUIS sights can be flipped up and viewed clearly through the window.

Battery life is nowhere near the aimpoint, but they are tough as nails, hold a zero, allow a very fast sight picture. Aimpoints are just as tough, so either one and you can't go wrong.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  10. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    Aimpoint Comp M4S on my Colt 6940.

Leuopold Mark 4 LR/T 4x14x50 Illuminated Mill Dot on my Bushmaster Predator.

Colt 6920 with Trijicon standard open night sights. It had a ACOG that I sold and went back to irons. I like them better out to 300 meters.

Bushmaster XM-15 with standard open sights.

(In another 15 years, I'll probably think differently on the open sights!) :rofl:
  11. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    Aimpoint Micro.

ETA: I've owned an EOTech 511, Aimpoint M2, Trijicon RX01, TA50-4 ACOG, the LED and Dual illuminated RMR and I prefer the Aimpoint Micro over them all.
  12. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Feb 18, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    Most anything made by AIMPOINT. My first and only aimpoint is an M2. However my next will be a Micro. I would be hard pressed to use anything else.
  13. RMTactical

RMTactical CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I have an Aimpoint Micro, but ACOG is also an excellent choice.
  14. rhino673

Feb 7, 2010
    I like EOtech alot. Very quick on target and built like a tank. It does tend to eat batteries pretty quick though so I keep spare double AA's handy.
    It gives you plenty of warning that the batteries are dying by a flashing rectical when it's turned on.
  15. Vortex SPARC has had some excellent reviews, including some torture-testing.
  16. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Eotech. Very easy, very fast. And you don't have the "tube" effect like with Aimpoints.
  17. for a fixed carry handle, i would only go with a gooseneck type mount and an aimpoint or stick with irons. i had an m16a2 with the aimpoint/gooseneck on my first tour in iraq.
  18. ScrapMetal

Oct 27, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Aimpoint Micro 4 MOA....although I just ordered a 2 MOA...either or, take your pick.
  19. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    You can get a 1.5x ACOG that has a built in carry handle mount. For a HD gun its a great option because its powered by fiber optics and tritium and therefor always "on".

20. mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Im running a Primary Arms micro red dot. It works and its affordable for us poor folks.