close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What "offends" you the most?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by BuckyP, Mar 28, 2011.

1. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Seems many here prefer the traditional 5" 1911, though it seems the "enhanced" version are preferred (beaver tails, better sights, etc). Beyond that, there are aversions that we have. So which is yours?

1. High Capacity 1911s.

2. Non .45 1911s

3. Gamey addons (massive mag wells, dot sights, compensators, etc)

4. Anything but a 5"

5. Anything under 4"

6. Firing Pin Safeties.

7. External Extractors

8. Other

My #1 is the grip activated firing pin safety. I'm getting ready to rip that out of my S&W, which means it will no longer be legal for IDPA, but still OK for USPSA and Steel Challenge. I also don't see me getting anything smaller than a commander size slide, unless it is an EMP which has smaller proportions all around.

On the other hand, I like the high caps and have STI, SV, and Caspian. The mag prices are outrageous though. :steamed:

So what are your "dislikes"?

2. 1, 3 and 7 are on my list.

Others are:
    - square trigger guard. If done correctly, I can live with it.
    - adjustable rear sight.

3. BlayGlock

BlayGlock

Feb 18, 2010
    Texas
    Mainly #6. #8 would be those that want to argue over semantics saying a non .45 1911 is not a "real" 1911 because thier grandpappy didn't use to storm (insert beach or jungle here).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  4. craig19

craig19

Aug 13, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I'm not a fan of compensators. I hate square trigger guards on 1911s. Those are my biggest two.

5. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    I dont hate any of those things mentioned besides firing pin safeties and external extractor. but if it was properly done, I could care less. Gamey add-ons are fine as long as its a gaming pistol

6. Nickpisp

Nickpisp

Oct 12, 2010
    Oklahoma

These.

7. Don't you mean DW 1911's? ::whistling:

8. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    I guess 3 and 7. The fact that I would buy an STI Perfect 10 takes out most of whats left.

9. To each his own, but 1, 3 and 5 are on my list. I wouldn't say I hate them, but I most certainly have no use for them.

10. TKR Reptiles

TKR Reptiles Thread Killer

Oct 19, 2010
    Norman, OK
    OH YEAH! Those too!!! :rofl:

The SA was mainly for Quack and his Kool Aid cup... :animlol:

11. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Feb 10, 2008
    :agree:

I've had more problems with SUCS then ANY pistol I've ever owned. Guess I should have bought a Hi-Point 1911...I would have expected issues from them.

I'll add #11 now, 1911's that are not ready to go out of the box or have durability issues...see #9.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    What annoys me the most is not on your list so I will add #10 not enough ranges have 1911's to rent so that we can test fire. I have seen ranges with as little as 6 and as much as 15. With so many 1911 options it would be nice to get a feel for them especially for those that can't afford to buy and test several $1000 guns before they find the right one for them.

:50cal:

13. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

I can pretty much live with that list.. I guess the things that do bother me are purely cosmetic.. namely the FCS and EE.. neither of which looks "right" on a 1911 imo...

14. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Ah, the FCS. I should have included that one. I know many do not prefer them.

15. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    I like a very traditional looking 1911- other than putting higher profile sights on it, I like the looks of a USGI 1911A1- short trigger arched housing things I hate on 1911's:
    front cocking serrations
    long triggers, especially with holes in them
    full length guide rods
    I don't get hammer bite so get rid of all those commander hammers and beavertails too.
    basically I'm happy with what a colt 1991 looked like when they came out- except swap out the long trigger anf flat mainspring housing and I'd be happy.
    another HUGE thing I hate is 1911's marketed by companies that do not freely reveal the gun is not made in America- like "the oldest name in american firearms" or the American classic

16. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    regarding my last point many companies hide the fact a product is not made here to the point I've seen guys amazed to find out a 1911 they bought was made in the phillipines or brazil-"I had not idea" they say.

17. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    I might be able to live with most of the list depending on mission and the individual gun.

But strictly for looks....I can't STAND the big square trigger guards. Arrggg, IMO and eyes they are hideous. (No insult to folks that have them.)

18. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Oh, and huge billboards and the entire safety manual on the slide. For a working gun it wouldn't matter I guess, but for a strictly pleasure/collector gun I wouldn't consider it.