close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What occupation would you

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TSAX, Mar 10, 2012.

1. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

not want to ever get into, I understand while someone is down on their luck they take some pretty awful jobs to pay the bills. But what job would you not want to do.

This thread was inspired by watching dirty jobs and seeing the guy put his hand into an animal and look through some brown stuff in a bowl.

:50cal:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

I was once a skin diver for Roto-Rooter.

Also had a job a an apprentice baiter in a bait shop. Afterr the journeyman retired iwent from apprentice baiter to master baiter.

3. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

:laughabove:

I'll never run a cash register or bring people food unless I own the place.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  4. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Chicken sexer

Middle-of-the-highway dot placer

Full-time resident of Wichita Falls, Texas

5. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Convenience store clerk....night shift......I have done it many moons ago....even then...it was not good.

6. MadeInAmerica

MadeInAmerica

I was stationed in Wichita Falls and it sucked.

7. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Beer taster. If you know of anyone in this god awful profession, tell them I'll 'take one for the team' and replace them. :whistling:

8. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I am sure there are many jobs most people would not want to do but for something realistic...Telemarketer.

In College I tried it...twice. It was a special hell. I needed the money and there are places that pretty much hire you if you show up. I showed up. I have quit very few things in my life, I quit telemarketing, twice. I lasted a week at one and less than a day at another.

Stuck in a room with a computer and an auto dialer in front of you and the auto dialer dials every time there is a hang up. The place is cram packed with people and 100 conversation going on. I felt very trapped...so trapped it was one of the very few times in my life I felt what I am sure was a panic attack coming on.

For what it is worth, I was actually pretty good at it. Talking to people I can do, it was the environment that was destroying me.

9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

TSA, telemarketer, prison guard, waiter, anything that involves sewer or garbage.

10. michael e

michael e

11. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

For the win:whistling:

12. Creatism

Creatism

This guy stole my answer.

Typed from my iPhone.

13. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Proctology. A crappy profession.

14. Naelbis

Naelbis

Defense Attorney...I don't care how good the money is, I couldn't stand feeling like total slime and lieing all the time.

15. RDW

RDW BTDT

Anything that requires Heights. I wont even climb a Ladder, but Flying doesn't bother me.

16. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I started and quit this, too.

It was my second job, and was described as a "phone support" position. I got there and was given a script during the interview, and it looked like it was for an inbound sales position. I got into training, and the truth came out.

While it was fairly miserable by itself, I was just out of school and so was fairly used to misery. What made it unbearable was the lack of ethics involved and the environment it created. They don't speak English? Just try to get them to say "yes"! Don't just be insistent, harass! That kind of thing was just the beginning. I wasn't ethically comfortable with unprompted outbound calls to homes in the middle of the night to begin with...

My presentation and ability to treat potential customers like human beings put me at the top of the charts of the new team of recruits. It didn't seem to compare to the numbers of the old veterans, but try as I might I couldn't figure out why. The truth eventually came out: They were picking out people to sit at unmonitored lines so they could go off of the client-approved script. They could say what they wanted, how they wanted, and that's how they made sales.

They weren't grooming salespeople. They were picking out their favorites and the morally bankrupt to take producing positions while the rest of the staff turned over constantly, simply keeping seats full of people who could be heard using the client's script.

A little over a week into working on the floor, the abuse being done to the customers and the environment I was in got to me. I had an emotional breakdown, the only I've had since I was a child. I went home and told my father I was quitting. He let me have it, telling me that under no circumstances was I to quit a job without having found another one first. I think that in his eyes he just thought I was looking for an excuse.

My floor supervisor eventually insisted to me that I start selling the way they wanted me to sell instead of the way that was earning me more sales than anyone else on the floor who was required to read form the script. My sales dropped, and I was moved with other non-producers (and disliked employees) to another room and another project, where staff went to be forced out. No one could sell with that script, and we were berated and threatened with dismissal as our numbers were compared to established employees who were making sales from another room by saying whatever they liked.

I quit the moment I had another job lined up. The company went under. Good riddance.

17. southernshooter

southernshooter

I was always glad I worked for a place that was only open 8:00 to 5:00, Monday through Friday. No night, weekend or shift work ever.

18. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

Police officer.

ANYONE who can do that job and stay out of prison or the funny farm is nothing short of super human.

I'm dead serious. No matter what I couldn't do that job. I'd sooner be an Alaskan crab fisherman with a row boat.

19. silentpoet

silentpoet

Working at a nursing home as an aide. Feces and urine and not enough time to clean it all.

20. clancy

clancy

I have done lots of things, but the absolute worst job I have ever had was a pest control technician. You just cannot imagine how some people live. I have been in places that were so bad we had to wear respirators because of the stench. And these were homes that had families, and children in them.