Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

What motivates your purchases/collecting/acquisitions/disposition?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by JTR, May 17, 2012.

1. JTR

Feb 16, 2004
    Just curious what "motivates" everybody to buy and sell the guns and gear that they do? Collecting? Zombie invasion preparation? Capricious interests?

Have been going through a different pieces realizing I've got stuff that hasn't been shot in some time and just sits there and there are things I want to have and be shooting that I don’t have.

For instance, there is an old Ruger No. 1 in 458 Win Mag sitting in the very back of the safe that has not been touched in several years as well as a bunch-o-different AR parts for several different builds that I seem to have lost interest in. Love ARs and all, just not feeling the love.
  2. My motivations change daily.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Seafood. Except for me it's Seeguns.
  4. Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    Capricious interests for me.

My most recent Christmas gift was a flintlock! Very cool to shoot.

Be very careful before selling any guns, though. Pretty much everyone I know regrets it later when they sell guns.
  5. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    I have a few that are for carry. Some rifles for hunting.

The rest are just for recreation. I mostly buy things that take my fancy at the time. There is a some stuff in the safe that was potentially for carry, but didn't work out for whatever reason. I don't have any kind of rental range near here, so if a buddy doesn't own something, you have to buy to try. :crying:

Also, I know some people are going to go bonkers over this, but I have two teenage sons and sometimes yep I buy things that they have seen in their vid game they ask about. :rofl: For example, we bought a Makarov. It was in some game or another and they thought it was cool. I got one. It is cool. :dunno:
  6. JTR

Feb 16, 2004
    So true Tvov, have bought and sold and sold and bought over the years. There are a few that I really miss, but many I don't. Most mossed (comes to mind first) is an iai (or AMT) 30 Carbine Automag III (think goofy kinda 1911 looking pistol in 30 Carbine) about the most fun handgun I've ever had. Many others though I don't really miss; hard to tell as it just takes time.

I kinda started with "caliber consolidation" as I was (unintentionally) running out of 40 S&W guns. Down to just one and figured I'd just move away from them all (now I can't bring myself to get rid of that last one - go figure).

Seems that I have so many "irons in the fire" projects aren't getting completed and I'm losing interest. Have other "more important" projects that should be taking precedence. My conundrum: have some guns that never get shot and several projects that just sit; the above mentioned No. 1 then two projects in particular a PSL kit and receiver to be built up as an SBR and a kinda retro AR project, a clone of an Air Force GUU-5/P (M4 barrel with old A1 parts). All not that "useful" in my book, will take a good amount of cash to complete and things I'm questioning the "wisdom" of these days. Now, our local annual MG shoot is coming up this weekend (visit Saddle Butte Machine Gun Shoot on Facebook) and I'll get to shoot a friends SBRed PSL again, so it might be "game-on" for that little beast again. Who knows.
  7. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    For me it's an obsession with no end in sight.
    I've never seen a gun that I didn't want, or had to have.

I tell myself every gun I buy is the last one, but there's always one more that I must have to make my collection complete.
  8. ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    I'm mostly a competition shooter so many of my guns fill that role. I also collect certain guns so I'm always looking for those. I also just love to shoot so I have fun toys too.

I guess I have many reasons.
  9. I like to shoot and own diferent guns and enjoy the variety. After I've had my fun it's off to the next one. Some I keep and most get traded away. If there was a rental range nearby I'd be a rich individual.tom.:embarassed:
  10. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL

This is probably the most important single rule.

I have bought a few guns over the years for no other reason than I thought they were unique, to me. Like a 9mm Security Six revolver. Others because they are somewhat of a standard, like a (pre)Model 27 with the three and half inch barrel. Some others just because I wanted them.
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  11. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Right now, I'm focusing on the classics and will be throughout 2012.
  12. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

Jan 21, 2011
    Central Florida
    Boredom motivates me. I get bored with what I have and want something else.
  13. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I'm the rare person who doesn't regret selling any of the guns I've sold over the years. I'm not smart enough to be a collector, and can't predict the future.

So even though the Uzi Model A I sold is worth more today than when I sold it, so too is the gun I bought using the funds from the sale. And it's a better weapon than the Uzi.

Are there guns I wish I had back? Sure. But I don't regret selling any of them.
  14. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    I have sold a Keltec P11, a Ruger P95, HK USP .45, Para P14-45, Sig 226 W German, and a Beretta 92FS. I don't miss any of them for two reasons. I didn't need to part with them, I wanted to. And I didn't like each one of them for specific reason. The 226 and the 92 are fantastic guns. I sold one of each because those specific guns weren't keepers to me.
  15. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

May 27, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I like guns, handguns mostly. Not being a smartass, that's the best answer I have: no unifying theme, I just like shooting and collecting firearms.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
  16. ChicagoZman

Jun 29, 2010
    Guns for instruction.

I still need a quality single action revolver and a good rimfire pistol.
  17. Dan Glock

Dan Glock

Nov 24, 2011
    Just keeping up with Hickok45! :cool:
  18. agrech

Mar 27, 2012
    It's so the survivers have parts to upgrade with... "My new shotty sucks. Oh look ghost sights!!" it's our inner need to help our fellow man, even in death. =)
  19. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I generally restrict it now to "classic firearms" To get my attention a gun, generally but not exclusively, has to have classic features, like a trigger for instance.:cool:

seriously I have about overfilled the "need" cabinet and now it is a matter of filling the "neat" cabinet. There are a couple left on my "bucket list" and there are the occasional "deals to good to pass up on something I don't really need" purchases (Like my last S&W 29) but it is really what catches my fancy at this point.
  20. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    I wish I knew. I'll get something, spend money on it fixing it up just like I want it and be perfectly happy with it then see something else I want(mostly on a whim) and trade off what I've got to get something else. :upeyes: