close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What Made You Jump Aboard The Glock Bandwagon?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by chewybaca67, Feb 19, 2013.

1. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

Dec 16, 2012
    SC
    For me, the built-in safeties, reliability, and the high-cap mags were the deciding factor.

2. Like a previous poster, I thought I was the world's worst handgun shooter. My S&W SD9 is a really nice gun, but like the Sigma, it has a terrible trigger. I could stand 10 feet away from something, take careful aim at it, shoot, and have no idea where my shot went. Certainly not at my target.

Last week when I took my new G23 out for the first time, I could not believe how much easier it was to shoot. I almost had to try to miss.

3. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

Apr 26, 2006
    New Mexico
    Mags also! Mags were/are reliable and, back then in 2004, very cheap! I'm rich by any margine at all, but the fact that Glock mags are reliable and were cheap, definitely sold me on it.

4. I remember the first Glock I shot. It was around 1990. A 17.

I was at a semi-public range that belonged to a gun shop. Shooting a bolt centerfire from a bench. The guy next to me offered if I wanted to try his Glock 9mm. It was the first one I had ever seen. Sure, I said. Love at first sight :) It worked nice.

A few years later I bought a 26 for carry. I don't think that gun has ever hiccuped. Years after that, I also bought a 17 :)

Two of the best guns I have. The Beretta 92 is also up there in reliabilty and likability.

5. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

Aug 3, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    If you get the chance, try a 24 or 35... the longer slide 40s are dang accurate and so fun to shoot!

I have been thinking of getting a 357 sig barrel for the 6" 24! A 124gr XTP coming out at about 1500 fps sure might be fun for pig hunting or deer!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

Aug 3, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Funny you say that... I have an FDE G17 in my night stand, my wife has a Beretta 92 M9... she likes shooting it and shoots it better than she does a Glock... so thats the one she wanted in her drawer.

7. I was carrying a 1911 at work. In 1999 policy came out that 1911s weren't allowed anymore, no grandfather clause. Tried several types at a rental range, settled on the glock 21 and 30. Bought them both. $300 LE price for the 21 with night sights and $350 for the 30 with night sights. I now have 6 glocks.

8. gaKeith

gaKeith

Dec 31, 2012
    Back in the mid? 90's I bought my first glock. It was a 23. I bought it because i kinda felt sorry for it,,just kidding. Alot of people called it the most ugly gun they have ever seen and worst yet, it was made of plastic! yada yada yada ..I thought it was the one of best looking pistols in the market. It reminds me of a pit bull...only pit bull owners think their dog is cute, or mean looking...etc. I happen to like Pits and think they are cute...anyways I hope some folks got a laugh..heheh..I still remember the ser# ALM960US bought at a gun shop in Kailua, Hawaii

9. garjc90

garjc90

Jan 12, 2012
    The day I turned 21 I was at the LGS looking into buying my first handgun.... That day a glock 22 gen 4 came home with me.... I think more than 5000 rounds have been fired through it. I have had only two FTF one was due to a defective primer I think..(due to the fact that after I pulled the trigger...flinched and nothing happened. The primer had a mark... So I put it back in the mag and pulled the trigger again... And BAM! It fired... And the second one was a round that had no primer nor powder in it whatsoever... Not sure what happened to that one. I kept it... Filled the primer spot with hot glue and painted the round safety orange. That's what I use to practice drills sometimes... But other than that it has not failed me... But to answer one of your questions. I got mine in 2011 so then a 27 gen 3 followed me home one day... Then recently got me a 19 gen 4. Couldn't be happier with any of me'. Sorry for the extremely long reply... Lol :D

10. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    In the spring of 1986 I saw an ad for Glock 17's in the Shotgun News, and I ordered one. It was the best impulse buy I ever made. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. clarkz71

clarkz71

Aug 24, 2012
    South Florida
    Butch,

I think you need to give up that box so I can use it for my G19.:whistling:

I got into Glocks in the early 90's. 2 G23's, a G20 & a G21.
    I just loved the simple efficient design compare to my 1911's
    and Sigs/M9 etc.

Now I have another new G23 gen3 and an 89 G19. Once you learn
    the trigger it's one of the best firearms you can own.

12. Smooth_squeeze

Smooth_squeeze

Jan 17, 2012
    Nice try, sir! (I've been through this before, and I have friends both in the officer corps and elsewhere. Some of them are active duty, others retired)

BTW, his father (retired Army Colonel) is also a doctor.

Your comments regarding the sniper corps leads me to believe his comments (I agreed with them at first blush) about the way the media consider those in the military, to be spot on.

And yes, he is a good friend, and he is "doing okay" as you write.

BTW, what seems to be your attempt to "talk down" to me, in somewhat elegant form, is what I'd consider, in other forums, to be "patronizing".......... I hope I'm wrong.

Best,

Smooth_squeeze

13. I had no experience with handguns when I took a handgun introductory class. As a part of the class, we got to shoot several different types of guns. I noticed that I shot the Glock (a 17) best, I didn't have to remember which way the safety lever worked, and the trigger pull was the same for each shot. Then I researched Glocks a bit and found out about their extreme reliability, and settled on the 23 for the combination of power and "compact" size.

14. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

Aug 3, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Smooth_squeeze, by no means was that my intent and I apologize to you if I made you feel that way. Sometimes intentions can be misunderstood over the internet. I am sorry that you feel I was "talking down" to you. My intent was not to sound patronizing either. I wish there was a smiley to extend a handshake!

15. 4095fanatic

4095fanatic

Oct 12, 2006
    Needed something concealable and that would go bang every time I pulled the trigger... GLOCK was the only handgun that seemed to fit the bill, and the blue label program put me over the edge (fire dept).

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. table

table

Jan 6, 2009
    San Francisco
  17. GJHIII

GJHIII

Oct 20, 2012
    Kept hearing how dependable and easy to maintain they were. Then I ran into some old friends that I used to shoot with alot. They gave me grief about still shooting my antiques and informed me that they had sold all of theirs and had full line-ups of Glock's. So I gave the G23 Gen 4 a try and haven't looked back. Not bad for a plastic gun. (HeHe)

18. Taphius

Taphius

Sep 26, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Hickok45 and blue label discounts. Not many choices out there can match reliability/accessories for the price when new

19. TTex

TTex Cannon Fodder

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisiana
    A couple-o-three years ago I thought all automatics were bound to jam or quit on you at some point. Enter the G17, not sure the round count as of now, but I'm pretty sure it is north of 2000, has fired EVERY round I've put into it with no problems! It's simplistic design, ease of maintenance, aftermarket parts availablity, reliablilty, accuracy, durability, and high capacity are hard to beat! Since then I've purchased 3 more, and they have really gotten me into shooting!

20. 21 Glock salute

21 Glock salute

Jan 2, 2013
    IL
    For me it was at a friends house. He had a G21 laying on the table. He and I were both revolver/1911/3rd gen S&W shooters to a fault. I asked him "What the hell is that?" he said "a .45" and I picked it up and fell in love. The rest, as they say, is history.