Glock Talk banner

What lubricant do you use and why?

24K views 128 replies 91 participants last post by  Gramps45 
#1 ·
By way of educating myself, I would be very grateful to get some information from shooters and gunsmiths about their preference in firearms lubricants.

What brand lubricant do you use?
I would also appreciate it if you would explain why you prefer that particular brand.

I thank you in advance for your replies, it will be very helpful to me.

#5 · (Edited)
Thank you Evosil98 & Rick O'Shay, I appreciate your answer.
Thank you Smoker, I will make a point of researching this subject on past threads which will, no doubt, be helpful and educational.

I do, however, hope that I get more posts on this thread though as I am sure that there are new people who have joined this fine forum since this was last discussed & I would be interested in hearing from them too.

Also, I am particularly interested in hearing from people who may have used a particular product in the past and have since changed their preference in favor of something newer and/or better. I would like to know what motivated you to make the change.

Did you see an ad and thought, hmmmm...I'd like to try that out? Or did you happen to use the new product because it was what was immediately available and you realized it was better than what you had been using?
Do you prefer to use products because that is what is currently being used by the military?
Are you always trying/testing the newest thing on the market?

Basically, I want "fresh" input to my question as this is the kind of information I am MOST interested in.

#6 · (Edited)
You'll find all you need by doing a search. Some questions seem to inspire a new thread every week (you're the second this week) and GT people don't mean to be rude, but get tired of answering the same question over and over. Search any subject, even non gun related. There's incredible wisdom in the GT gang. Not to mention humor, sarcasm, and differing opinions.

Personally, I'm just here for the abuse.

FWIW: Hoppes seemed just ok, Remoil and Miltec total fails, using CLP now and very happy with it, got a sample of Weapon Shield, and like that best of all.

#8 ·
I think the reason for my question was not expressed well enough, so I will try to explain it better.

I am not as much interested in knowing what brands people are using as I am interested in WHY they are using it. The brand name gives me a point of reference only. I am asking from a marketer's point of view - I am researching the MOTIVATION behind the choices being made.

I did start looking up some other threads and gathering information, so that is somewhat helpful. You are right to point out that there is a wealth of information already here, and I am definitely going to glean as much of it as I can. Mostly people just say what they use, which would be fine if I was shopping for a new lubricant myself, but that's not the reason for my question.

I am specifically looking for statements like, "I like [brand X] because it is nontoxic." That tells me that the buyer is clearly concerned with safety and/or health concerns and toxicity was a factor in their decision. I'd like to know what percentage of buyers consider safety a primary reason to buy or switch to a particular brand.

Statements like, "I have used [brand Y] since I was a kid" might indicate brand loyalty, a hard nut to crack from a marketing point of view. If a particular brand tends to have a "loyal following", I would be interested in knowing why; did they have an amazing advertising campaign, or do they have a strong presence at special events/competitions/shows, or is it something else?

"I like the smell", "It's the only brand my favorite store carries", "They donate a portion of the proceeds to charity", etc. are all statements that help me understand why the choices are being made.

#126 ·
I began using Hoppes 9 as solvent and Breakfree CLP as lube because I saw it on the shelf of my LGS and the guy behind the counter recommended it. I thought both did a fine job. But as I started learning more about firearms and began spending time on this forum, I learned about the existence of newer more advanced products. The CLP and Hoppes are fine, just as a 1988 Camry will probably run fine. But technology, especially with synthetic lubes, has advanced quite a bit.

I also decided that I should get a non-CLP product--that is, something that isn't all in one. If the lube doesn't have solvents in it, it will be more effective. I was already using Hoppes as a solvent.

After researching, I settled on the Mil-Comm products. The strongest selling feature was its DOD approval and widespread use by military and LEO. As a bonus, the cleaner is non-toxic and doesn't have an odor. The grease is also excellent and is compatible with the oil.

That's my reason.

#10 ·
Paul53, you said that you "...got a sample of Weapon Shield, and like it best of all."
That tells me that you are willing to try a new product if you are given a sample to use, from a marketing standpoint, that is important.

I believe that people might be more likely to try a new product if they physically have it to use as opposed to just seeing an ad in print or online and reading the promotional hype. The answers I get here will help me know if I am right about that and other questions I have about what is most important to potential buyers.

#15 ·
I have used many different types a viscosity lubricants. I have resolved my selection over the years to the following:

I am very familiar with film strength and protection from various forms of shear and impact. Quality lubricants offer protection.

First, least messy and staining, when gun rubs against clothes. Clear film product not moly or graphite additives too dirty.

Second, very light oil film which is judiciously and sparingly applied, not liberally. Doesn't get transferred to everything the gun touches..

Third, is how easily the gunpowder residue cleans off the pistol.

#16 ·
Good and helpful answer, Concretefuzzynuts. Your avatar is great, too funny.
Thank you SJ40, I see that products that make clean up easier is important to you, that seems to be a popular reason for people to choose their favorite brands. Good to know.
On a serious note, and you deserve that given your good humor, I like the tried and true Rem oil for guns. I'm just old school I guess.

#17 ·
Another vote for not messy and easy to clean off residue, thank you for your input Janice6.

So tried and true works for you, a traditionalist...OK Concretefuzzynuts, I would like to ask you a marketing question, if you don't mind. If you were given information that using Rem oil with Teflon posed a possible health risk to you, would you still want to continue to use it because you've always used it with no ill effect, or would you be less likely to use it?

#19 ·
I use the products from KG Industries (10+ years) and have been very happy with it. They have a rifle/pistol pack out now, and those are the products I use. The copper remover, bore polish go a long way...and don't need to be used every cleaning. The spray cleaner is what I start with...then go from there depending on what I'm cleaning and what ammo was shot. Haven't had a problem with rust, even in humid FL... the bore looks outstanding after running the cleaner through it...then followed up with an oil patch...ect....until you pull a clean patch through.

#20 ·
So tried and true works for you, a traditionalist...OK Concretefuzzynuts, I would like to ask you a marketing question, if you don't mind. If you were given information that using Rem oil with Teflon posed a possible health risk to you, would you still want to continue to use it because you've always used it with no ill effect, or would you be less likely to use it?
I would need to know the amount of use that was detrimental. Occasional exposure or prolonged exposure.

If it were discovered that Rem oil was the cause of some cancer due to slight exposure I would cease use. If scientists soaked rats in it for months and they developed skin irritation I would keep using it.

After all, I still have the same bottle of it for the last several years.

#21 ·
I'm getting some terrific feedback, so thank you everyone. Keep 'em coming!

Travlin' Jack, you seem to be most interested in performance and by letting people try it out, you are encouraging others to use it, which goes to my opinion that if people can sample/test for themselves, they would be more likely to try something new. More importantly, from a marketing standpoint, you promote products you like - a company can't ask for a better ad campaign then that!

NBT, it looks like you tend to be brand loyal and are more likely to try something new if your favorite company comes out with it, but maybe not necessarily if a different company comes out with something new. From a marketing standpoint, you would be my hardest customer to convince to try a new product from a new company. So I have a question for you too, IF you could be convinced to try something new from a different company, what would be the motivating factor?

Great answer Concretefuzzynuts, you take a scientific approach to your decision making. You are interested but skeptical, wanting facts and figures to back-up claims and you weigh the information relative to your actual use. This is also very good to know.

#23 · (Edited)
You'll find all you need by doing a search. Some questions seem to inspire a new thread every week (you're the second this week) and GT people don't mean to be rude, but get tired of answering the same question over and over. Search any subject, even non gun related. There's incredible wisdom in the GT gang. Not to mention humor, sarcasm, and differing opinions.

Personally, I'm just here for the abuse.

FWIW: Hoppes seemed just ok, Remoil and Miltec total fails, using CLP now and very happy with it, got a sample of Weapon Shield, and like that best of all.
If your tired of answering then don't. Is my advice to you.
I don't know why people go out of their way to make this an unfriendly forum.
What is the old saying if you have nothing good to say don't say anything.
There you got your abuse

I use Breakfree on my AR, Brownells lubeI watched several youtube. I use Brownell lube on the rails and white grease on barrel for Glocks as recommended by my Armorer buddy and I don't get tired of answering the same questions over and over again.

#24 ·
Thank you for your answer, Oso. I see that you, for the most part, seem to agree with DWarren123, in that you do not perceive a big difference between the performance of the lubes commonly available. All things being relatively "equal" performance wise, you are clearly motivated to choose a lube that is nontoxic. I think more and more people are concerned about the toxicity of the products they use everyday and as a result, I see more commercials & print ads that address this particular concern. It is an important direction that advertising in general is going.

AZson, you are the first to mention watching a video before making a decision. I think videos will become a preferred media for advertisers to sell their products. If people cannot actually test/use/compare a product themselves, I think that videos are the next best thing. The video, paired with the recommendation from a respected person in the industry, is, in my opinion, the ultimate marketer's power couple. Thank you so much for your answer, it is very helpful.

#25 ·
On the subject of YouTube videos, I saw one in particular (I'm sorry but can't remember the channel) where the guy applied several different products to brake pads for demonstration purposes. I think he put 3 different lubes on each one and left them to weather for nearly 3 weeks untouched. Froglube performed the best and that video was solely responsible for me trying it for the first time. Since then it has been my lube of choice. And although performance is why I continue to use it, it doesn't hurt that it smells nice and minty and is enviro-friendly. Good luck figuring out whatever it is you're looking for. And, btw I would try ANY sample once on one of my guns.

#26 ·
Thank you so much for your answer jlbeasley1976. I will try to look up that video, it will be helpful for my research. Again, comparative marketing lets consumers make a more informed decision - ergo the popularity of research companies like Consumer Reports and apps on so many websites that let you compare products in their catalog while you shop.

It is interesting that the scent is another aspect that you like about the product, something that has come up several times now. The olfactory sense is often very important in decision making for people in general. Bad smells can alert a person to possible danger (an important purpose for this particular sense) but the olfactory sense can also provide enticing (key to marketing) enjoyment when exposed to pleasant smells. Including this sense, by providing an attractive aroma along with all the other attributes of a given product, is a very smart marketing tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.