Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

What level vest do you wear?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by tusk212, Sep 23, 2011.

1. tusk212

Jan 31, 2004
    Central PA
    Just curious what level vests you guys wear. We are getting new vest the meet the NIJ .06 standard and are going with the level 2. In my understanding, which is limited, the new level 2 are pretty close to the old 3A under the old standards.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I'm wearing a IIIA. It "expires" next year, so I'll probably buy a .06 IIIA then.

3. Your assumption is a valid one. We previously issued a level II vest and under the new standard transitioned to a IIA.
  4. imaguy3

Dec 30, 2007
    I got my new vest in Jan. and that's pretty much how they explained the new standards to me as well... My old was a level 3A but I went with the level 2 on the new one... it's just as thick as my old one :-(

here's a good review of the changes made...
  5. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    I am issued a IIA
  6. Horror

Horror Polizei

Aug 31, 2004
  7. Level IIIA also.
  8. x_out86

Feb 19, 2007
    IIIA that is .06 compliant. Just got it earlier this year. Point Blank C-Series.
  9. tusk212

Jan 31, 2004
    Central PA
    Have to admit, kind of second guessing myself for sticking with the level II and not going up to the IIIA.
  10. A IIA? Not a typo? Time to upgrade brother.
  11. GackMan

Feb 12, 2002
    IIIA - mandatory level.
  12. CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    IIIA that needed replacement last year. I wasn't put on the list because I was off on worker's comp. It's good old fashioned Kevlar so I know it will still stop bullets a decade from now.
  13. Level 2 issued for me.
  14. Not necessarily.....many factors come into play, the materials used in the armor package, the special threat testing done on that package, review of the realistic threats, etc. I spent 4 years working in the armor industry before returning to law enforcement. I have personally shot the .06 compliant IIA package that my agency issues against a variety of special threats and found it to perform as well, if not better than some of the .05 compliant II packages.
  15. blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Level 3A back in the day.
  16. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    Level IIIa, made last year, safariland brand, not sure if it is .06 or not and not even sure what the new .06 requirements mean.

I also use a titanium hard trauma plate with a soft trauma plate in front of it.

I went with the II when I first got on and had that vest for about 6 or 7 years. Just too much going on lately, lots of shootings in the area, police and non police involved. Been on a chase ending where we had shots fired off by bad guy and heard the pops a handful of times this summer responding to calls....I'm still very active and don't see slowing down anytime soon..want to make sure I have every advantage. Worth the extra weight to me.
  17. Last time I wore a vest it was a IIIA. My next one will be a IIIA as well, Lord willing I find a job! Vest in general are hot and mildly uncomfortable (some might argue very) no matter what level you get. Mine never really bothered me and I want all the protection I can get. I know I'm a wierdo, but I always found the feel of my vest quite comforting.
  18. currently wearing a IIA. Standardized the department on level II with the NIJ06 standards. Issued weapon is a Glock 31 in .357SIG.

Funny thing is, my .05 standard IIA vest will stop our issued rounds, but everyone has to have level II now. IIIA is an option if the officer wishes.
  19. IIIA meeting the .06 standard.
  20. IIA is the standard issue. Many of us bought our own and went the IIIA route. I like the "extra" security and my Halo (IIIA)is lighter and thinner than the issued IIAs.