close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Lens you cannot live without?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by DeadMansLife, Mar 10, 2007.

1. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife
    Expand Collapse

I believe I have settled on a Cannon XT 8.0 meg unless I find a great deal on an XTi or a Nikon D80. I have not decided on my first lens yet but I will be getting a 50 f1.8 within a few months of buying a camera( I understand this is a must have lens).

What lens do you have that you cannot live without? The one that you have on the camera most of the time for that RIGHT NOW shot. I would like something that would allow me to to take a wide range of pictures with little thought of which lens do I need for this shot. My hope is to learn as much as I can before I start worrying about what glass do I use.

I am also looking into a photography class at the local community college. With the investment I am making on equipment, I don't think $115 for a 14 hour course on how to better use it is too much to consider.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo
    Expand Collapse

You are getting the kit lens, right? That's the best way to learn what focal lengths you will be using the most for your style and type of photography. After a few months you can look into EXIF records of your photos and you will know.

I would wait with any purchasing decisions until then.

3. ponykilr

ponykilr
    Expand Collapse
    Off The Porch

Well, it was my 50mm, but now it's my 28-70f/2.8. Unless I am shooting moon shots or sports, it's on there. We are going to the aquarium at pine knoll shores(Atlantic Beach) tomorrow, I will be taking my 50mmf/1.8, it's dark in there.

4. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I am getting the kit lens to start. I was looking to get a second lens with the camera then the 50mm in a few months. I guess I'll hold off on the second lens for a bit or just pick up the 50mm when I buy the camera.

Thanks. :)

5. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77
    Expand Collapse
    Thread Killer

Consider the f/1.2 50mm if you can afford it...

6. hippy john

hippy john
    Expand Collapse

Mmmmm, f1.2 50mm ( Insert drooling soundtrack) It would be nice, however, my always lense outside and inside with a flash, is my 24 - 105 f4L IS. Love the versitility, and I'm getting lazy so the 'foot zoom' that I need with the 50 doesn't go over well. And the wide agle is something that I find myself using more than I thought I would. I might even go for the 10-22mm sooner than later.

7. nipperwolf

nipperwolf
    Expand Collapse

no question. my 80-200 2.8. the one on the right.

[​IMG]

I do a lot of sports and motorsports shooting, and it is perfect for it.