What Knife Do You Use/Carry?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eric, May 22, 2012.

1. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

Probably my least favorite Benchmade ever. Between the uncomfortable handle and the ghey bone collector crap there was not much to like. The handle is also huge compared to the blade.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #421 Travclem, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

Eeesh. Glad the logo kept me away!

3. Kershaw Model 1670 Spring assisted tanto point folder. Available from your local Wally Mart for around $60 or so. It sits in my back pocket every day, and on my nightstand with a flashlight at night.

Being an American. My greatest blessing.

#423 wrangler_dave9, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  4. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe
    CLM

Typically, a straight edge (or Wharncliffe) design is primarily for long, straight type cutting tasks. Think of planing wood, or beard shaving, that kind of thing... I mentioned carrying a tanto-style blade earlier for work, its handy for cutting straps and boxes, stripping wires, etc., along with being a good scraping tool.

That said, straight edged knives that have a pronounced taper like you saw in the pic you posted are better at straight penetration (read: stabbing), while being less than ideal for slashing-type maneuvers. It'll work, but not as well as a knife with a belly or rounded profile.

Short answer: it's just a trend in cutlery right now, and I'm liking it. It's also a preference by individuals, too.

5. NeverMore1701

Platinum Member

For me, it's just visual appeal. I keep my knives sharp enough that blade shape doesn't overly effect cutting ability, but I just think they look cool.

6. Arquebus12

CLM

Elegant? Really? I'm not poking fun, I just always considered it esthetically 100% business, and not a single thing more...

7. This.

8. NeverMore1701

Platinum Member

I think the Osbornes are pretty universally gorgeous, but there's no accounting for taste :cool:

9. CR500

My favorite knife is my Benchmade 520SBK.

10. Flashpoint

Flashpoint NRA Member

I've got several knives but the ones that see the most pocket time are my Kershaw: Spec Bump, Groove, Titanium Junkyard Dog SG2, RAM; ZT: 0560; Spyderco: Manix, PPT, Endura.

11. Arquebus12

CLM

OH! :wow: Okay, I thought you were referring to my Emerson!

No, I agree with, I love the Osborne's... they have a joie de vivre in their styling, and are a joy to use. I have a Switchback that I'm especially fond of in addition to the one like yours.

Just the right size, too.

12. NeverMore1701

Platinum Member

Ah, I can see how the wires got crossed there :embarassed:

I'm up to 3 Osborne designs and they're by far my favorites. The Contego with M4 blade is just fantastic.

13. The Zero Tolerance ive had for afew years and cant seem to go back to my Emersons and other nicer knives. I just like the weight and size of this knife .
    [​IMG]

#434 varmint6, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  14. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

Benchmade auto stryker combo edge

15. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

I'm confused...with that much dislike, how did you end up acquiring the knife in the first place? Do you normally just throw a hundred bucks at a knife and hope you like it later?
    Was it gifted to you?

I'm just trying to understand...to each his/her own.

16. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist
    CLM

Speaking for myself, yes, frequently. Sometimes they are great deals picked up on the secondary market and sometimes it's a knife that isn't stocked locally so it's purchased online. Sometimes it is an impulse buy on a brand new piece that isn't as wonderful as I thought it would.

In the grand scheme of things $100 on a knife is trivial. I'm a user and collector.

17. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist
    CLM

I've got the mini in D2/Walnut that I'm looking to offload if you decide you wanna give it a try.

18. NeverMore1701

Platinum Member

I don't know about him, but I've bought several Benchmades online without ever seeing one in person. There are two stores in town that carry them, and only a half dozen or so each. So there's a good chance if I want anything besides a Griptilian variant I'll have to roll the dice. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.