close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What kind of mem do I need? PC133

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by G21, Nov 12, 2004.

1. G21

G21 Millennium Member

Jan 23, 1999
    Nebraska
    Hope someone can help me. A few years ago I bought a "no-name" computer from a local builder. I want to add some memory to it, but after looking, I don't know if I need high-density or low density memory.

It has a 1.1Ghz AMD Duron processor,and currently has only 128Mb of memory. There is a sticker on the memory itself that says only "PC133128MB".

I found out it is a VIA motherboard, but I don't know model number right now. I can post it later after I get home.

TIA,
    Dale

2. Yes, PC133 is the type of memory you have now so you will need to buy the same to augment what you have.

3. G21

G21 Millennium Member

Jan 23, 1999
    Nebraska
    Thanks, but now I need to know if I have high or low density memory.

I was searching pricewatch.com and high density is cheaper than low density. Why, I don't know. But the low density is supposed to be compatible with 99% of motherboards.

4. I have never run into anything other than the plain old PC133 stuff. I would stick with the low density stuff as it is almost a sure thing to work.

The bus speed is goign to be the same regardless of density.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
  6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    If you use something like PNY's PC133, it is high-density and doesn't work on the majority of Intel chipsetted MOBOs I have worked with. SiS or VIA may be different, but my old Athlon setup, with a Chaintec VIA mobo, wouldn't use it either.

The PC100 works just fine in most boards, and you only incur a 3% or so slowdown according to AIDA32's R/W benches.

I have no idea why this memory costs more and doesn't work as well...I guess that's their idea of progress.

BTW, the high-density appelation refers to the fact that the modules use smaller RAM chips, and so only occupy one side of the stick. For some reason this messes with a lot of older machines.

7. paulgla

paulgla

Nov 12, 2004
    MASS
    You need to look at the motherboard and get the make and model. you need to see how much memory the board can handle before you start installing memory.