close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Kind of Fish is This?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by wavetrain75, Sep 16, 2012.

1. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Fresh water reservoir on the Montana / Wyoming boarder.

2. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

kinda looks like a sturgeon to me. bumpy on the back with a dorsal fuin farther down the body. caught lots of them out of the mississippi river.

3. Savannah11

Savannah11

Sep 3, 2012
    Yep. Looks like a sturgeon.

4. *ASH*

*ASH*

Jan 12, 2008
    barbed
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=notKtAgfwDA"]"Weird Al" Yankovic - Like A Surgeon - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  5. JimIsland

JimIsland

Aug 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Thats a strage looking fish. Looks similar to a Black Sea Bass but he would be bad lost!!

Rock Bass???

6. wavetrain75

Jan 31, 2008
    Obviously I don't know or I wouldn't be asking, but I didn't think it was a sturgeon - the nose is too blunt (although that could be because it's a juvenile) and the pectoral fins didn't look right. But, obviously, I don't know.

7. ilgunguygt

8. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    He looks pissed. Don't get too close.

9. ilgunguygt

Not all sturgeons have the big long nose.

10. wavetrain75

Jan 31, 2008
    I couldn't, I was at 400 pounds in my tank and I was floating like a cork. That's why the angle is bad.

11. Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  12. ilgunguygt

13. *ASH*

*ASH*

Jan 12, 2008
    barbed

i saw a show on discovery channel about the Pacu in the midwest . also biting folks bad

14. Here in Florida wild Pacu can get quite large. I wonder if their edible? Every body of water in Florida is infested with tropical fish that don't belong here. Lake Okeechobee is overrun with the above Pleco. I was just on a canal in south Miami a few weeks ago that was full of brilliantly colored Cichlids. Go to any apartment complex and the storm runoff pond will be full of Choi and Goldfish along with dozens of other non native fish.

15. jarubla

jarubla Dos Pistolas

Feb 16, 2010
    UT
    I am guessing some sort of perch (walleye, maybe?). A little farther south from where you snapped this picture Flaming Gorge has an infestation of Burbot, but those are long and similar to a snakehead in body type.

-Jay

16. It's definitely a water moccasin.

17. Peter_72

Peter_72

Apr 4, 2012
    Louisiana
    I don't know what type of fish that is but I don't think it's a sturgeon, every sturgeon I have seen has spines looking sides.

18. ilgunguygt

I have never seen a sturgeon with spines on its sides. Every one I have ever caugtht has the bumps on its back, like a spine, and the dorsal fin far down on its back towards its tail. Usually the side fins (pectoral?) are shaped different, with the mouth on the bottom. The picture just isnt clear. I couldnt tell if there was bumps on the back or not, but the spotty look I have seen on them and the dorsal fin far down the back fits too.
    :dunno:

19. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

Nov 3, 2006
    In a handbasket
    Definitely a Lamborghini.