What Is Your Yard Gun ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by mrt949, Apr 24, 2013.

1. The one you put in your pocket when you go out to do normal things around the house.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    100 yards ... Hornady shotgun sabot slug The Okie Corral Saturday at 5:48 PM
    Ruger Precision Rifle at 500 Yards. General Firearms Forum Friday at 8:06 PM
    Obama and the Clintons: Top Dems mingle on Martha's Vineyard Political Issues Aug 16, 2015
    Thought I would do some yard maintenance while the Mrs. is out of town... what could go wrong? The Okie Corral Aug 8, 2015
    Drone Drops Drugs in Ohio Prison Yard, spurring inmate fight The Okie Corral Aug 5, 2015

3. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

I don't usually feel the need to carry a firearm while doing chores around the house.
    (I've carried a firearm out of the house, for 'defensive reasons' exactly twice, in the 25 years I've lived there.)

What I DO carry, whenever I step out of my house, is this:

Case Medium Stockman:
    [​IMG]

Benchmade Mini-AFCK:
    [​IMG]

#2 byf43, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  4. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Taurus Judge with birdshot. I live out in the country and my wife hates snakes.

WP

5. CMG

CMG

I live on 5.5 acres with a pond in the middle. When mowing, I usually carry my Bersa .22 (snakes & turtles mostly, though there have been a few other critters that needed dispatch).

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

None....I am not so paranoid or frightened of the world that I have to be armed to just walk out my front door to get the mail, mow the lawn or wash the car.

Granted, if you live in a really bad neighborhood (which I have), then one might feel the need to be armed all the time.

7. A gun for personal protection is part of a System that includes a good holster, a good belt, and quality ammunition.

It doesn't belong in your "pocket."

8. I check the mail with my G26 IWB. But to be fair, I never leave my front door without it, even if I have to go get something out of my truck. Its just muscle memory now. No more than grabbing my keys. It actually takes more energy to put my shoes on lol.

9. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

I don't put guns in my pocket. In a holster, on a belt. Same gun as when I'm not working in the yard.

10. "Pride goeth before a fall"

I live in a great neighborhood "If you can call 'up in the hills" a neighborhood. There is no gang "tagging" in the nearby town. We still have crime and I was involved in the case of someone, like myself actually, who was killed in his own home by a junkie looking for drug money.

Thinking that it can't happen to you might give you a warm fuzzy feeling and moments of smugness, but that is all it does.

11. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Kahr CM40

12. Bad things happen to good people in good neighborhoods.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KNi_2gTEhk&list=PLBDmqvjL6JiqLofYn_P2NnKlUpsOnpixK"]Are you prepared for a home invasion? Many are not - YouTube[/ame]

13. this

In the summer, first round is snake shot.

For those who say I am paranoid for CCW around the yard, thugs don't go to poor neighborhoods to steal a TV, the come to the nicer neighborhood to steal a nice flat panel tv

14. 427

I live in an what is becoming an iffy part of town, and have lived in crappy parts of other town/cities and have never felt the need to be walking around armed 7/24, much less packing just to go check the mail. While there may be bad people in the neighborhood, the biggest threat to my life is the local PD - they've killed a lot of people under questionable circumstances....

Anything can happen, but I'm not going to live my life in fear.

15. Yeah, b/c bad things NEVER happen in good hoods or homes out in the country. :faint:

16. Crooks peed their own pool and will come looking to mess up yours. Also living in a rural area, the local wildlife is just as likely to be a threat. Snakes mostly, but coyotes and wild dogs are also around here. I carry the same thing in my yard as I carry anywhere else. Dan Wesson .357 mag, 5" barrel, with an EAA Windicator .357 mag in my pocket as backup.

Lately I've been considering getting some shotshell rounds for when I'm in the back yard where snakes have been an issue.

17. Yard gun... a .38 LCR is always in a pocket holster in a cargo pants pocket as a backup. The primary varies, but if I'll be moving around such that printing might occur, it would likely be a .357 LCR. Otherwise, probably a 3" GP100 or XD-45 Compact.

I live in suburbia.

18. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I get and agree with your point, no doubt.

But there's a balance between being safe and being too fearful. I simply refuse to live my life afraid of the world around me if it's not necessary.

I lived in Detroit for years, carried while I mowed, had my pistole on the seat when I washed my car. So, I get that some people do live in bad areas, and that random acts of violence can occur anywhere. But probabilities and statistics must be considered.

#18 M&P15T, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  19. same here, loaded with Federal Nyclad 125gr

20. If I'm not already carrying my 27, I have my 115 lb. Alaskan Malamute. He's so territorial while in the yard that he keeps a watchful eye on the neighbor's car when they go down their driveway.