close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Is Your Profession?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Woofie, Jan 12, 2013.

1. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

I disagree. What's wrong with debate? The religious always resort to censorship when they start loosing the argument. They have to because they don't have logic on their side. If you don't want to read what he writes, put him on your ignore list.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

You're right. I've noticed you don't advertise your rank and I respect that. Doing that comes across as an appeal to authority argument (i.e., you must submit to my argument because I'm a Major and a doctor therefore I know more than you). IMO, that indicates insecurity. I suspect there are several people in this forum with graduate degrees but they don't advertise it in their screen names.

#82 muscogee, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  3. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Well, when I signed up on the forum, I was still on active duty. The screen name wasn't something I put more than a couple of seconds thought into. My particular job translated quite well into civilian life on the clinical side, I don't use a lot of the warfighter skills anymore. Not a lot of creative evacuations needed in my current job either. Considering the origin of your own screen name "gecko45", the infamous mall ninja, and a lot of the other screen names around, I'm gonna have to point out that this is another example of selective hypersensitivity. It's a forum, not real life. I go by my first name in real life. I immediately correct anyone that calls me doctor. I'm very comfortable being me IRL. I have occasionally run into people I knew on active duty, and they still call me Doc. On active duty, I was called that much more often than my name or rank.

Try to make the distinction between real life and a screen name.

4. hooligan74

hooligan74
    Expand Collapse

Gotta agree with CavDoc on this one. I'm not really a hooligan in real life and no one calls me that, either. It's just a handle, no need to read further into it than that.

As long as no attempt is made to convince anyone he is a doctor, no harm no foul.

A local jeweler calls himself the "Rock Doc", but no one believes he's a medical doctor or has a Ph.D.

#84 hooligan74, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  5. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter
    Expand Collapse

What's wrong with debate?

By who's standards? You are reacting to a post where I make it clear that I refuse to refer to someone by a professional title they haven't earned with the appropriate level of education. It's no different than a Paralegal wanting to be called an Attorney. Or a bookkeeper wanting to be called a CPA. They simply have not attained the proper credentials to deserve the title. Would it be appropriate for me to go around calling myself a Marine because I have a rifle and some training on how to use it? Or have I not earned the right to honor myself with that title?

Yet for some unknown reason we've been discussing politics in here for the last week.

Productive? Depends again on perspective I guess. But this is a place for discussion and debate of religious issues. I don't know why you thought differently. I agree I'm tired of the political crap.

6. NMG26

NMG26
    Expand Collapse

Lol

cd........stfw?

7. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter
    Expand Collapse

Not the same thing. He works in the medical field. Posing as a doctor when you aren't is a professional no no. Not saying he has done that per se. But I believe he has made the statement that people on this forum have asked him for medical advise. If I'm mistaken in that regard I apologize. To be fair they probably knew he was a PA and not a Doctor. I've not been here for years and years like some of you. But you get my drift.

8. Woofie

Woofie
    Expand Collapse
    Disirregardless
    CLM
    1. Project Mayhem

I'm usually called Woofie in real life. I just assumed his first name is Cavalry, last name Doc.

9. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

He's been asked that before. There seems to be no answer. Expounding on the obvious isn't profound.

10. NMG26

NMG26
    Expand Collapse

And yet................. LOL

:rofl:

11. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter
    Expand Collapse

I look just like my avatar.

12. Geko45

Geko45
    Expand Collapse
    Smartass Pilot
    CLM

The ladies call Mr. 45

:cool:

13. hooligan74

hooligan74
    Expand Collapse

The men call me "Muddy", but the women call me "The Electric Man".

14. hooligan74

hooligan74
    Expand Collapse

Why would you assume he is attempting to pose as a Dr.? Sorry, I just don't see it.

15. Gunhaver

Gunhaver
    Expand Collapse
    the wrong hands

I just thought Geko was a commercial pilot or instructor. Never noticed him mention military service before. Someone like Cav PA on the other hand drags it out in every other post. I think it may have something to do with insecurity issues.

A Marine once told me that past military service is like having a big ****. It's fine to just smile as folks find out about it naturally if they're impressed by that sort of thing but when you go around pulling it out and waving it in people's faces they're likely to be really put off by that and think it may be the only thing you have going for you.

16. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

It's an acute case of selective hypersensitivity. For some reason he thinks this will bother me somehow. It hasn't bothered me since I joined as a member, don't see why it should start bothering me now.

This isn't the first time it's come up, usually it's someone I've been arguing with and when they run out of useful things to say, try to latch onto that for some odd reason.

17. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter
    Expand Collapse

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

18. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter
    Expand Collapse

Why wouldn't you assume that someone that goes by Doc is a Doctor? Wouldn't that be one of your first questions? "Doc? Oh... are you a Doctor?"

Especially when every chance they get they tell you about this and that in the medical field. "Yeah well when you work in medicine blah blah blah."

19. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

This one is cute. When you retire, you retain your rank for life. Legally, my name is MAJ first last PA-C when spoken, as a signature block, it's MAJ (USA Ret.) first last PA-C. It could take a whole to explain all of the military customs and courtesies to you, there are quite a few books you can pick up on the internet that can explain it all fully.

In the immortal words of the great philosopher Popeye - "I yam what I yam".

Majors are a dime a dozen in the Army. Generals, they even have a bunch of those. MAJ is only an O4 on a pay scale that goes to O10. I did spend just shy of 10 years as an enlisted soldier too.

I had no idea that me being me, made you feel insecure. Not sure what you think I should do to aleviate that? :dunno:

20. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Doc has never claimed to be a doctor, and he explains this multiple times on the forum.

I agree with doc only part of the time on here, and some things I strongly have disagreed with him on. I also tend to think he has a bit of an ego at times.

That being said, bark up another tree. Doc is slang. You know this, yet you continue to be a ****** about it. Why? Can you not find something else? Get over it and move on.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire