close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What is this? (Federal white box HP's)

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by boomhower, Sep 8, 2012.

1. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Why would anyone go with a hollow point at 900 FPS? It is well known that 9mm bullets need to be going over 1100 FPS to expand well.

2. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Not the 147gr. They are designed to expand at lower velocities which is the #1 reason I am going with them. With the short barrel I am giving up a lot of velocity so I like the 147 that is designed to expand at lower velocity, down to 800FPS in some rounds.

3. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Last I heard IPD was using .40 S&W in the 155 gr. Federal Tactical Bonded flavor.

That was before the consolidation with the Sheriffs Dept so there may be some 9mm's in there now.

The Indiana State Police (ISP) does carry G17's but I don't know what ammo they carry.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

4. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    Winchester (and many other ammo makers, for sure) disagrees with you.

http://winchesterle.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/pdf/Handgun Bullet Barrier Testing Protocol.pdf

The are many offerings listed in the PDF that fall well short of the 1100 fps minimum you claim necessary for reliable expansion. Check it out. :cool:

5. KenB22

KenB22

Jul 28, 2009
    Thanks. You may be right. I re-read what Mas told me and he mentioned San Diego and Portland as having success with the 147gr HST. He said that all of the departments that he knows of using HST are using 147's.

6. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    Subsonic rounds for use in a suppressed gun.

I had 1,000 of the stuff and it does a fine job. No issues.

When I was on the job we used 147gr subsonic Hydrashocks.

Now that I am no loger on the job, I still tend to use slow heavy bullets. (Especially wih a suppressor :) )

It is not 'junk' in my opinion.

7. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Critical Defense would be the LAST ammo I would ever use.

8. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    I had a box of CD for my PPK.
    Shot a couple of rounds to test functioning and at least 1 every 2 rounds needed a second hit to go off. Sent the rest of the box back to Hornady (they were having QC issues with their CD ammo) but heard nothing back......