close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What is this? (Federal white box HP's)

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by boomhower, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011
    It's garbage. 80's designed heavy for caliber 9mm rd. that didn't work then & sure as Hell doesn't now.

2. jr05

jr05

Jun 9, 2007
    Are you saying that heavy loaded (147gr) bullets did not, and do not work?

If it is just for this ammo, you are probably right, it is WWB. However, 147gr 9mm ammo is and excellent round for SD...Federal HST for example in 147gr is some of the best stuff out there for 9mm.

3. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

No it's not. it's FEDERAL.

The Federal 147 gr. Hi Shok JHP didn't work. The 115 gr. BPLE did & does work fantastically. As for the 147 gr. of today I don't know as I haven't seen anyone shot with it.

4. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    147's are a joke, the WORST thing to ever happen to the 9mm. Don't belive me talk to some folks who have actually used them or seen them used, I have.

5. 9mmParabellum

9mmParabellum

Jul 11, 2010
    A Navy Seal original they more than likely used it for a supressed pistol long time ago for sentry stalking with head shoots a priority.

6. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Federal's 147 grn HST seem to be pretty good in todays FBI Protocol testing, I wouldnt hesitate to accept a mag full.

7. KenB22

KenB22

Jul 28, 2009
    Then either you or Mas are wrong. He told me in the GATE forum that 147 gr HST was performing well for San Diego and Indianapolis.

Care to tell us what agencies you talked to and when so I can check out your statement?

8. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012

I'm gonna go with Mas on this one. :)

He gets reports from those who bet their lives on it everyday and his information is the most accurate and up to date.

9. ergon

ergon

Jan 13, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

This is a long list of info. If you can't find it here it doesn't exist. Check the bottom and you'll see it gets updated. Handgun ammo was 5/2012.

There is NO magic bullet. It's like real estate...........location, location, location.

10. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

That's because Mr. Ayoob can sometimes obtain info such as this from LE agencies as he is famous in his area and has some clout. The average Joe Schmoe can't get that info as agencies are reluctant to give it out as many wishing to obtain said info have a political agenda, i.e., Police brutality, racial, etc. Today's politically correct & racially charged climate has put a huge damper on 'street results' IMO, e.g., the Trayvon case. Just my 2 cents.

11. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Well, Gee Wizz Batman! I don't see the 9mm 115JHP+P+ by either Federal, Winchester, Remington and Speer, nor Corbon's 115JHP+P on that list. Does that mean that these rounds don't exist?

12. ergon

ergon

Jan 13, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    The data contained exempted non relevant ammo. You can read can't you? You missed this so go back and try again pup. It's covered.

"You might notice that the list does NOT include any lightweight bullets with the exception of the Barnes 115gr version. The reason - especially if you've read the beginning of this article - should be clear already, but Doctor Roberts sums it up nicely as well: "With the exception of the Barnes 115 gr XPB all copper projectile, in general, most 9 mm 115 gr loads have demonstrated greater inconsistency, insufficient penetration, poor intermediate barrier capability, and failure to expand in denim testing than other 9mm bullets. For those individuals wanting to use lighter weight, supersonic 9 mm’s, I think a better alternative than the vast majority of 115 gr loads is to use the slightly heavier 124 to 127 gr bullets or the Barnes 115 gr all copper bullet"

13. KenB22

KenB22

Jul 28, 2009
    I agree. That's why I asked Mas so I could evaluate internet posters who say all 147g 9mm bullets are ineffective.

14. Merkavaboy

Gee, I guess all those perps that have been given Dirt Naps by ISP, DeKleb Co. and other LEA's never got the memo from the FBI, Flackler, Dentist Roberts, et al, that "light" rounds, specifically the 115+P+ i mentioned, weren't effective in REAL WORLD SHOOTINGS by REAL WORLD COPS rather than killing blocks of inanimate jello shot by people wearing white labratory jackets!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  15. ergon

ergon

Jan 13, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm a retired federal agent. If you don't like the facts ignore them. I shot 296/300 at Glynco. My last in service range score was 300/300. I was trained to fire two to the chest and one to the head. After that the SOB I shot didn't care what round he was hit with.

It's more than apparent that you didn't read what was written about 115 gr. loads even when I cut it out for you.
    Believe what you want I just posted the info for the OP I didn't write it. Most cities, counties, and states buy what the bean counters can buy on the cheap NOT because they researched the subject.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  16. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011
    Dr. Roberts is a dentist. All those goombahs on M4carbine.net love to polish his pole by quoting that neat little chart like some sort of religous dogma. :upeyes: Anyone can shoot gel & I openly admit some bullets are impressive in this. However, nothing trumps reality & experience as denim/gel is merely a barometer of what might happen. My point being that for "Dr." Roberts to dismiss 115 gr. 9mm bullets as unacceptable off the cuff based purely on his tests is total BS when there are tons of historical shootings that state otherwise.

Besides, no one likes a dentist anyway. Not even their wives.

17. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

Aug 28, 2004
    South Texas
    So, are you saying these rounds would bounce off of you if they fired them at you?:whistling:

Years ago, I saw these rounds choke quality pistols on the firing range. (Winchester 147 Subsonic) To be correct, 17-19 years ago. The rounds were subsonic and so labeled. The powder charge was upped a bit thru time and velocity went up a little. This solved the malfunctions. I participated in a group buy of Federal 124 gn Hydra-shok which were the cats meow back then. We didnt trust the 147. It is all a diferent story now. True that the Basic JHP has evolved to HST, Gold Dot, Golden Sabre, ect....., but the human body has not. Like another poster put it simply.... Location, Location, Location.

This round by the way is still used by departments in the US.

18. KenB22

KenB22

Jul 28, 2009

The light and fast 115gr may work great when there are no intermediate barriers. They may work great for civilians. Roberts isn't interested in finding loads that work well under 1 set of circumstances. As we all know, there is a whole series of IWBA tests that the bullet must pass before making Roberts' list. They must pass all of the tests, not just 1 or 2.

Roberts isn't just shooting jel. You should know better than that. He tests bullets according to IWBA protocol and tells people which ones pass and which ones don't. Why do you think he cares which ones pass his test? You can see there are both fast and light and slow and heavy bullets on his list. Tell me one bullet on his list that doeesn't have great success on the street. His advice has always been to find a bullet on his list and go with it.

19. Merkavaboy

Who do you think the Fed and Win 115JHP+P+ was first developed for and used by? ISP = ILLINOIS STATE POLICE. These guys have seen more gunfights and killed more people than the FBI since the early 80's with their "light" +P+ loads.

Roberts isn't interested in what actually works well PERIOD! This is proven out by the fact that neither he nor the FBI even acknowledge the effectiveness of loads like the 115+P+ or even the .357Mag 125JHP, both PROVEN EFFECTIVE by COPS all across this country! They ignore these loads because they don't pass the FBI ballistic jello BS and yet continue to be PROVEN STOPPERS under all kinds of situations by salty Road Dogs and civilians alike. And since these loads have shown to work in the REAL WORLD but refuses to work in their laboratories, they convienently IGNORE such loads.

So you're saying that Roberts is now shooting, what, jugs of water, wet newspaper and other "ballistic media"? We know that he's not shooting living human beings, that's for sure.

Roberts uses the same faulty tests that the FBI developed post-1986 Miami fiasco. The FBI can't/wouldn't find fault in their Agents, so they had to find a scapegoat in the pistol ammo they used. The FBI was the ultimate believer on the One Shot Stop theory. The FBI, through it's wound ballistics protocols promoted and foisted one of the worst 9mm JHP designs upon their agents and unsuspecting LEA's across this country: the subsonic 147JHP, especially that made by Winchester. The 147's were NEVER DESIGNED as a LEA service caliber load to be used in pistols. Period.

I personally trust the biased testing by the FBI and people like Roberts as far as I can throw them. When these people outright dismiss STREET PROVEN LOADS because they don't pass their circus routine of labratory "tests", this proves they've been snortin' too much powdered Kind & Knox.