close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What is this crap on my J-frame??

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by KennyFSU, May 12, 2012.

1. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Received this wheel gun in a trade. Saw a few blemishes and figured it was something that could be scrubbed off. Well it's not that easy and when I tried using a soft plastic cleaning rod I noticed the clear finish was also rubbing off on the back of the gun near the grips.

The good news is that the grips cover up most of the marks. Any suggestions on how to remove this stuff? I've used Hoppes but to no avail. I assume I'll have to get the frame refinished. :(

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    "Du Bist Screwed"

from the looks of it that is a refinish job. appears to be corrosive, mild pitting almost.

3. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    It's weird how someone would refinish this gun; it has a test fire date of 12/2009 lol. The other side is mint.

4. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Are those the factory grips?

It looks like something in the grips doesn't like something in the metal frame finish.

Any chance the previous owner has massively sweaty hands?

5. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

you asked

"I assume I'll have to get the frame refinished. :("

6. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

May 22, 2010
    East TN
    You probably won't be able to fix that. I wouldn't worry about it. It gives the gun character or what some might call "honest wear".

7. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Sep 6, 2001
    A little finish meltdown... er, character, yeah that's the ticket. Character. Yeah. Sure.

S&W can sorta fix that, only to have it show up again, maybe, depending on your cleaner of choice. Did someone before you use some gunscrubber?

Kinda common the first couple years of production on the airweight/airlite j-frames IIRC. Finish peel. or... something.

8. 45caldan

45caldan

Aug 27, 2007
    central Florida
    A 642 I assume.
    It looks like the clear coat has been compromised and the bare aluminum is oxidising. if it's a carry gun (and I assume it is) don't worry about it. Any gun you carry will show wear on the finish.

9. Yep, from here it certainly appears that a strong cleaner of some sort reacted with the clear-coat on the alloy...who knows what the previous owner used on it?? It's going to have to be refinished, or you'll have to live with it. You might send pics to S&W and see what they say.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  10. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    Ozarks
    Looks like the grip area that wasn't in the holster soaked up lots of fat guy sweat.

11. If you feel comfortable answering, how much did you pay for it? I'm trying to decide on a value for mine.

12. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

Hmmm,..."Sniff test" yet?

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Some people's chemistry will break down the clear coat.
    The previous owner was right handed and sweat a lot.
    Contact S&W.....they will refinish it at no charge.

14. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    Yeah these are factory grips. I also forgot to add that the frame is aluminum, not SS. I'm not sure what other product(s) we're used in it prior to me. Thanks.

15. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Some folks have fairly caustic sweat.

I used to know a guy whose sweat could eat through bluing and etch a blued revolver just about literally overnight. :wow:

A former partner & I ordered brand new 642-1's factory-direct at the same time some years ago (armorer purchase program).

I carried and shot mine a lot, and he carried and shot his a little.

My original 642 has a pristine frame finish. As does my newer production 642-1, which has seen carry & range use.

His 642 looks like it was acid etched and is a nasty combination of mottled gray scale. Worse than the poster's pictures. His clearcoat has also been eaten away on the right side of the frame where his index finger rests outside the trigger guard (right-handed), and along the entire backstrap, as well.

S&W offers a limited lifetime warranty to the original owner. They may, or may not, inquire about that sort of thing when it involves a "warranty return". They've been known to refinish Airweights with finish issues.

FWIW, my friend left the nasty finish alone on his 642 (doesn't bother him) and carries the gun more often. I'd like to get him to shoot it more often, but that's the way it goes.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  16. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    Great info, thank you!

17. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Could be that the aluminum in the frame has some sort of other metals that were accidently mixed in during the manufacturing process that is causing corrosion.

But, looking at where the crapola is, seemingly right where the grips meet the frame, it could also be that the previous owner had very sweaty hands, and funky, salty sweat, that caused the corossion.

Are the grips 100% rubber? Or do they have metal in them where they meet the frame?

18. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

May 31, 2011
    Connecticut
    I agree, its either simply sweat corrosion or a caustic chemical cleaner. I have seen similar frames caused by simple perspiration. As stated we are all a bit different and some peoples sweat is more "potent" than others... I'm leaning to sweat...

If a carry gun, leave it. It not likely it will change the functionality one bit. If you had to I'll bet S&W or a GS could refinish it for you...

CW

19. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    No metal in the grips (just the screw).

I'm shocked to hear about some peoples sweat; is it from their diet? Lol. Thanks all.