close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is the most interesting/historic gun you've had your hands on?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dalton Wayne, May 26, 2012.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    Although not a gun I did hold and swing Custer's sword used during the civil war

2. VA27

VA27

Mar 23, 2002
    usa
    I have a friend who has genuine 1860 Henry rifle. For 10 years my issue rifle was a Winchester M14. Pasadena AutoMag.

3. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Oct 6, 2007
    AZ
    Probably my 1936 DWM Luger. It's a mutt, non matching parts and the damn import etchings, and I'm not a nazi sympathizer by any means, but this gun... There's just something about it that's somehow fascinating. Very complicated and intricate design for its time, and one of the best grip angles in the business.

4. Jonesee

Jonesee

Apr 16, 2009
    My grandfather's rolling block rifle. He used it to provide meat for the family. When I was a little kid he told me he had killed a wagon load of meat with it.

Before he passed he gave it to my father. My father has told me before he passes he will give it to me. I'm not a young man anymore and have 3 grown sons. Before I pass I will have to decide which of my sons get it.

The most important history to me is family history.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    A captured MP-44 at Ft. Campbell back in 1986.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    You can volunteer at the Winchester Arms Museum at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyoming and handle firearms owned by everyone from seventeenth century European royalty to Gen. Patreus. HH

7. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    A few guns with local history. Some belonging to people of local history. For history buffs there was the revolver used by one of the DeAutramont brothers in what has been called the "last train robbery".

For bigbore wheelgun fans, I have one of the "SAPD" marked S&W 58s, and carry it regularly. They have their own "Cachet"

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    Friend had a Luger, can't remember now when it was made, sometime in the 30s. His dad brought it back from WW II as a war trophy. I owned a Nazi marked Mauser HSc for several years. No idea about it's history and sold it for a huge profit.

9. Fastbear

Fastbear

Dec 21, 2007
    30-40 Krag, pre 1900 Winchester. Helps guard the reloading room, however, the old guy has added venison to the table.

10. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    M1 Carbine

[​IMG]

and my Type 99

[​IMG]

11. PPinesRon

PPinesRon

Jan 23, 2010
    South Florida
    A friend I met through my hospital volunteer job asked if I could clean a revolver his dad, a pilot who extensively traveled, gave him as a kid to play cowboys and indians. I started and it became obvious it was old. Long story short, it was a Colt SA made in 1878, authenticated by Colt, and in pristine condition. It was as tight as the day it was made; smooth action. Gave me goosebumps. Beautiful gun. Gun went from a shoebox in the bottom of a closet to a safe deposit box right after the cleaning!

12. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

Jan 7, 2002
    Canton Mi
    [​IMG]

I am in process of this display. Bottom up. M1 Garand,Enfield,Mauser,Mosin, and Arisaka.

The Arisaka was sporterized beyond my ability to return it to factory config. I has a correct one on it's way from across the country.

Each one is made during the war. If they could talk. The stories they would tell.

I am far from done. Pictures and other items will be put around each rifle from it's country.

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    Cavalry Colt

1886 45-90

Vintage Sharps

14. Good question. I guess I've been around more plane and helicopter mounted guns than carry guns.

Not historic, but I loved seeing and placing hands on the A-10's primary weapon at an air show a few years ago.

I did get up close and personal with a bunch of historic aircraft at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola a couple of times, the last remaining guns at Fort Morgan, and the 16 inch guns on the USS Alabama.

15. BEER

BEER bad example

May 2, 2006
    Dayton, Texas
    i've held the pimped out colt 1911 that marvin zindler carried back when he was in law enforcement for a short while.

that's not really all that historical unless you're from the houston area.

16. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Not sure what it is but the long gun that belonged to Mountain John (yes, that is his name according to family Bibles and the sparse records from that time) who was my great-great-great-great-great grandfather. My family comes from a very poor area and Mtn John owned the only gun in the area. It was used to bring home food for many families over the years. It spent it's later years at a local slaughterhouse where it went on to bring in more food.

Sadly, the man who owns it now calls it "just some ol' gun" and has respect for it's value in our family history. I shoulda offered him $50 for it. :upeyes:

17. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

May 7, 2000
    TX

1. I held a civil war rifled musket. That thing was a beast, caliber somewhere north of 0.65" if I recall correctly (I just looked it up, probably 0.58"). That was during a military history class in college.

2. In Malbork Poland there was a great museum with lots of match lock and wheel lock pistols. Didn't get to hold those, but still neat to see.

3. In St. Petersburg Russia there is a museum with some prototype and the serial number 1 AK-47. Did not get to hold that one either. In the photo below it looks like multiple rifles due to mirrors.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  18. SpoiledBySig

SpoiledBySig Millennium Member

May 6, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I have an 1873 Winchester 44/40 Rifle. Passed down from my Great. Great Grandfather (so I'm told). It seems to be in excellent condition.

I took it to a gun shop a few months ago and they checked the serial # and told me the rifle was made like in 1882.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because I told them I was not selling it, they couldn't/wouldn't give me an estimate of what it's worth.

19. For rifle it's an 1891/30 Nagant that had finnish capture marks, as well as other markings. It looked like the Finns captured it refinished it then was recaptured by the russians. There is a bloodstain on the stock as well. As for other things, the 45 automatic ammunition and magazine my great grandfather brought back from WW1, 197 and 1918 headstamps. The mag worked after having been loaded for probably 70 plus years, I put new ammo in it and used a mil-spec and it didnt have a problem.

20. lakota169

lakota169

Dec 18, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    My Sharps New Model 1863 rifle and carbine. Serial numbers are a few numbers above and below numbers of issued guns during the civil was as listed in a book about Sharps guns.

[​IMG]