close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What is the Difference with 45 Auto and GAP

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by HD_Renegade, Jun 27, 2010.

1. What is the Difference with 45 Auto and GAP. I see that they are both 45's but what is the difference??

Thank you

2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Southern California
    .45acp, .45 auto rim, and .45 gap all use the same diameter bullet, but are dimensionally different. The .45 GAP came almost 100 years after the acp, and is shorter. You have to create new loads every so often to sell more guns....

3. The case is shorter and stronger in the GAP. Basically you end up with identical performance in a smaller framed gun.

4. So basicly it was done this way like someone said, to sell more guns? Is one of them more used then the other or maybe easier to find ammo for?

5. ACP is infinitely more popular than the GAP. For the most part ammo is the same price, and in a lot of places equally available. If you're smart and get ammo online anyway, then there's no difference. Plus the GAP Glocks are usually available at a steep discount.

6. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Sep 11, 2005
    Four Corners

That's not the reason. The .45GAP (Glock Auto Pistol) was developed in response to demand for a .45 caliber hand gun in a smaller sized frame. The GAP framed pistols are dimensionally similar to pistols chambered in 9mm. &.40 S&W. .45ACP requires a larger platform. For many people with smallish hands that platform was uncomfortably large.
    Do not assume that because the GAP has a shorter case that it is less powerful. Not so. The two are ballistic twins.

7. Scamp

Scamp Geaux Tigers!

May 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Good post!

One is no better than the other, they each have their own place in the world of calibers.

8. Interesting for sure, thank you folks for the info on this.

9. tonyparson

tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    You know I see this alot on here, If you really think about it cant any question you want to know the answer to be googled, if so then why even have a forum?

10. glocknbruce

glocknbruce

Mar 7, 2010
    Kentucky
    for real, just scrap glocktalk and just "google" everything.....

11. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999

It gives my followers a chance to visit with me. :supergrin:

12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    The GAP models seem to be easier to find than the ammo around here. I wouldnt give up my G38 but when the Gen4 G38 I may have to consider a switch

13. coal

coal

Dec 20, 2009
    This. The GAP is an improved .45acp relying on higher pressure (using faster/newer powder) get equal velocity. The smaller load fits in smaller guns of the 9mm/.40 platform. It's a great concept that's struggling (IMO) to really catch on despite Glock best efforts to market it. Thus, IMO, it remains a novelty semi-auto load like .357sig and 10mm. Like anything novel, it has a small, loyal, vocal following. However, until it's mainstream most pass on it, including myself.

14. Generally, I use Google to find out facts, like the dimensional and ballistic differences of those two cartridges and the forum to get folks' opinions and the benefit of their experience. Not a big deal.
    Sonnytoo

15. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I not a fan of the GAP, but I guess it serves a purpose for those who feel they benefit from a slightly smaller grip.

16. G-Lock808

G-Lock808

Aug 17, 2009
    Mid Pac.

you 'd have found your answer to this question if you googled first.:whistling:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  17. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    .45 GAP is meaner than .45 ACP.....

[​IMG]

And shorter.....

[​IMG]

But they are not interchangeable!

[​IMG]

Other than that, they are pretty similar. :)

18. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    The main difference is that the 45ACP is a man stopper and the 45GAP is only a practice round, that's designed to punch innaccurate holes in paper.

:tongueout: That ought to get the Gappers fired up...:rofl:

In reality, they are both just as good as each other for SD use. In a Glock, by using the 45GAP load, it will let you use a gun that is the same size as the G26/27, G19/23 and G17/22. Calm down Gappers and.............:panties:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  19. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Yeah, you know, it's basically the same round, except for the GAP round suffers from "little man syndrom". :rofl: