close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is the CLEANEST powder?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wrx04, Nov 3, 2010.

1. wrx04

wrx04
    Expand Collapse

I've loaded and shot about 700 rounds of .45ACP now, all with unique and MG FMJ bullets. They have worked perfect (only 2 or 3 weak loads that i knew about), but they seem a little dirty compared to factory ammo. Is there ammo that is clean, but still good? I did order an 8lb jug of unique so i'll be rockin' with that for a while, but is there a better option?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. idahoglock36

idahoglock36
    Expand Collapse

I shot a bunch with Unique today. Not really that dirty....but it was with lead. For super clean try WST or the VV powders 320-340.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

VV is very clean, but typically costs quite a bit more than the others..... .45 I'd go w/ WST.. .Fred has posted .45 loads w/ WST here on plenty of occasions, I'm sure if you ask him, he'll give you some info.

#3 IndyGunFreak, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  4. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

WST is very clean provided you use the correct amount. If your going for a soft recoiling load you may not necessarily burn all the powder to it's potential. What are you loading Unique to right now and where is that in the range? If mid-range as little as a 0.1 bump may make a significant difference in how clean it burns.

5. Bob2223

Bob2223
    Expand Collapse
    Jack's buddy!

It depends, Unique burns cleaner at higher pressure or above mid range to upper end loads. For target loads I think WST is hard to beat for a clean burn.
    It just depends on what your wanting to do with your 45's .

Bob

6. n2extrm

n2extrm
    Expand Collapse

Give BP/muzzle loaders a try, everything else will seem clean.

Seriously though, WST is pretty clean and works great in 45.

7. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Baby powder, burns clean with very little recoil.

Jack

8. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619
    Expand Collapse
    EX-Swage Monkey

I could not restrain myself. I heard WTF cleans up really good. So good you will not even notice the chamber is still on your gun. ( that because it flew off 3 lanes over) I am ordering a keg on Friday..

9. wrx04

wrx04
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm....lots of guys favor WST. Im definitely gonna give that a shot. The reason i was hesitant to order it was because none of the reloading books i have publish its data.

I've been loading unique to 6.0gr. Definitely mid-range. Maybe ill bump the unique to 6.1 or 6.2 and see if it cleans up.

Jack, thanks for the advice.....smart***:supergrin:

10. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

I use WST in 45, 38spl, and 9mm. Very clean and works great. It's nice to be able to buy one powder and use it in all my loads.

11. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

I thought you were just going to buy a few pounds of whatever was cheap on sale, mix it in a bucket and relabel it WTF???:whistling:

12. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt
    Expand Collapse
    Enslaved in IL

I found 700x to be a clean burning powder, but it doenst meter worth a crap. I finally settled on AA#2 for 45acp lead bullet loads. Its not the cleanest but towards the top of its loading range it does clean up much better than Unique. And it meters worlds better.

Here lately I have been fond of WTF though, as was mentioned above. Its easy to acquire, simply dump whats left of all your powders together and mix real good. I use my wifes KitchenAid mixer when I do it, for proper powder mixture. You should also never load it without a Lee Factory Crimp die, otherwise it could be catastrophic.

13. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt
    Expand Collapse
    Enslaved in IL

I found 700x to be a clean burning powder, but it doenst meter worth a crap. I finally settled on AA#2 for 45acp lead bullet loads. Its not the cleanest but towards the top of its loading range it does clean up much better than Unique. And it meters worlds better.

Here lately I have been fond of WTF though, as was mentioned above. Its easy to acquire, simply dump whats left of all your powders together and mix real good. I use my wifes KitchenAid mixer when I do it, for proper powder mixture. You should also never load it without a Lee Factory Crimp die, otherwise it could be catastrophic.:rofl:

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

His reloading manual says it's not safe to mix WST w/ any other powder, so he erred on the side of caution, and decided against it.. ;)

IGF

15. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

I have several open containers that I don't really use. I could pour them into a single container and forward. If we all did this he wouldn't have to order any powder for years! Who else has some miscellaneous powders laying around that they can donate?

For clean burning use VV powders.

16. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E
    Expand Collapse

2 Cents in for VV N320 is my favorite powder for 9mm. Pricey , yup. Worth it !!

17. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

Solo 1K burns clean in 45 when I have used it with FMJ too. Going to be trying some WSF in the very near future.

18. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

Haven't used it with those calibers, but have used both Solo and WSF in 9mm. I think Solo is a little cleaner.

19. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Very true. WST is super clean throughout it's useful vel range, which gets you to full power loads in the 45acp.:supergrin:

20. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR
    Expand Collapse

Vv n310

(edit: the GT forum software refuses to allow me to capitalize the above)

#20 MoNsTeR, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010