close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What is the CLEANEST powder?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wrx04, Nov 3, 2010.

1. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    I've loaded and shot about 700 rounds of .45ACP now, all with unique and MG FMJ bullets. They have worked perfect (only 2 or 3 weak loads that i knew about), but they seem a little dirty compared to factory ammo. Is there ammo that is clean, but still good? I did order an 8lb jug of unique so i'll be rockin' with that for a while, but is there a better option?

2. idahoglock36

idahoglock36

Mar 4, 2008
    I shot a bunch with Unique today. Not really that dirty....but it was with lead. For super clean try WST or the VV powders 320-340.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    VV is very clean, but typically costs quite a bit more than the others..... .45 I'd go w/ WST.. .Fred has posted .45 loads w/ WST here on plenty of occasions, I'm sure if you ask him, he'll give you some info.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  4. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    WST is very clean provided you use the correct amount. If your going for a soft recoiling load you may not necessarily burn all the powder to it's potential. What are you loading Unique to right now and where is that in the range? If mid-range as little as a 0.1 bump may make a significant difference in how clean it burns.

5. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Mar 26, 2009
    Spencer Indiana

It depends, Unique burns cleaner at higher pressure or above mid range to upper end loads. For target loads I think WST is hard to beat for a clean burn.
    It just depends on what your wanting to do with your 45's .

Bob

6. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    Give BP/muzzle loaders a try, everything else will seem clean.

Seriously though, WST is pretty clean and works great in 45.

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Baby powder, burns clean with very little recoil.

Jack

8. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
    I could not restrain myself. I heard WTF cleans up really good. So good you will not even notice the chamber is still on your gun. ( that because it flew off 3 lanes over) I am ordering a keg on Friday..

9. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    Hmmm....lots of guys favor WST. Im definitely gonna give that a shot. The reason i was hesitant to order it was because none of the reloading books i have publish its data.

I've been loading unique to 6.0gr. Definitely mid-range. Maybe ill bump the unique to 6.1 or 6.2 and see if it cleans up.

Jack, thanks for the advice.....smart***:supergrin:

10. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    I use WST in 45, 38spl, and 9mm. Very clean and works great. It's nice to be able to buy one powder and use it in all my loads.

11. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I thought you were just going to buy a few pounds of whatever was cheap on sale, mix it in a bucket and relabel it WTF???:whistling:

12. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I found 700x to be a clean burning powder, but it doenst meter worth a crap. I finally settled on AA#2 for 45acp lead bullet loads. Its not the cleanest but towards the top of its loading range it does clean up much better than Unique. And it meters worlds better.

Here lately I have been fond of WTF though, as was mentioned above. Its easy to acquire, simply dump whats left of all your powders together and mix real good. I use my wifes KitchenAid mixer when I do it, for proper powder mixture. You should also never load it without a Lee Factory Crimp die, otherwise it could be catastrophic.

13. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I found 700x to be a clean burning powder, but it doenst meter worth a crap. I finally settled on AA#2 for 45acp lead bullet loads. Its not the cleanest but towards the top of its loading range it does clean up much better than Unique. And it meters worlds better.

Here lately I have been fond of WTF though, as was mentioned above. Its easy to acquire, simply dump whats left of all your powders together and mix real good. I use my wifes KitchenAid mixer when I do it, for proper powder mixture. You should also never load it without a Lee Factory Crimp die, otherwise it could be catastrophic.:rofl:

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    His reloading manual says it's not safe to mix WST w/ any other powder, so he erred on the side of caution, and decided against it.. ;)

IGF

15. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I have several open containers that I don't really use. I could pour them into a single container and forward. If we all did this he wouldn't have to order any powder for years! Who else has some miscellaneous powders laying around that they can donate?

For clean burning use VV powders.

16. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Aug 24, 2010
    South Florida
    2 Cents in for VV N320 is my favorite powder for 9mm. Pricey , yup. Worth it !!

17. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    Solo 1K burns clean in 45 when I have used it with FMJ too. Going to be trying some WSF in the very near future.

18. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Haven't used it with those calibers, but have used both Solo and WSF in 9mm. I think Solo is a little cleaner.

19. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Very true. WST is super clean throughout it's useful vel range, which gets you to full power loads in the 45acp.:supergrin:

20. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR

Aug 24, 2003
    Lakewood, CO
    Vv n310

(edit: the GT forum software refuses to allow me to capitalize the above)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010