close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What is the best AR magazine?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by wdphillips, Nov 18, 2011.

1. I just received an e-mail flyer from Brownells where they advertised some AR magazines at a great price, $9.99 for each 30 rnd mag. I was reading the reviews which for the most part were great. Then one guy said the best magazine is an HK416! Not knowing that much about magazines (mine are all Colt) I looked it up. I am still not much smarter. Which prompted the question.

What are good magazines for the AR?

2. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    This should be fun, Try Magpul but the GI mags work well too.

3. Clint-M

Clint-M

Jul 7, 2010
    RR, Texas
    I've never had trouble with any magazines I got new. A couple old steel mags I picked up in a trade wouldn't feed reliably but nothing else has ever gone wrong with Pmags or GI Mags. Haven't tried Troys new magazines but they seem to be getting good reviews also.

CM

4. bchand01

bchand01

Jul 8, 2011
    Magpul or usgi mags with Magpul followers are your best bet. There is talk of Gabe Suarez producing a new magazine that will blow them all away. Who knows when it will be released.

5. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    The best mags are the ones that work- I'm particial to GI mags as I've never had problems with any I have. Keep them clean, inspect them and fix any problems that arrise and they will work when you need them too. If you feel the need to spend all that money for HK mags go for it!:whistling:

6. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Indiana
    [​IMG]

Take your choice :supergrin:

Actual USGI mags not just any old aluminum mags. PMags, Lancer, TangoDown, Troy. HK mags a very nice but expensive.

7. Reswob

Reswob

Mar 8, 2009
    VA
    I think the question is who actually makes Brownell's mags? If it's a USGI contract mfg (D&H/Labelle, OKay/Colt, Center Ind./Parsons) they should be fine.

8. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

I like the metal GI-spec mags from BCM with the anti-tilt followers. I believe these are made by the company that used to be LaBelle (D&H).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  9. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    PMAGs, HK mags, and GI mags with the newer Magpul followers are all good choices. Heard good things about Lancers. Haven't had a chance to try the Troy mags, though.

10. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I use PMAGs, USGI (w/ anti-tilt followers), TangoDown ARCs, and Lancers. I have had zero issues with all of these. I still want to give the TAPCOs a try sometime.

11. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    I prefer magpul but am itching to try some D&H mags, the dsg deal is pretty darn good. i believe BCM's are D&H as well.

12. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    This.

13. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I don't have any Magpul plastic anywhere on any of my guns but I do believe in Pmags.

If I use G.I. mags, I buy NHMTG with Magpul followers, I have about twenty of 'em and they all look nice, drop free and function properly.

I just got six of the Brownells mags with the tan followers. They are made by Center Industries and they are crap. I don't know if they feed or not but 4 of the six won't drop free... As in damn near stuck in the magwell and doesn't even budge when I hit the mag release. This is in four Colt and one Noveske lowers.

14. Where do you get these from?

15. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Colorado
  16. I just got a couple of 10 packs of the DSG ones and they are very sweet. I think they are the D&H with the magpul followers, usually 10 for $85! Fit good and drop free easily. You can get them in convenient 100 packs too!

http://dsgarms.com/Category/21_1/Magazines_and_Components.aspx

I also have a few of the Lancer's but they seem awfully hard to lock in fully loaded but I'll have to see after they sit loaded for a bit. I think good quality GI mags, Magpuls and Lancer's are all pretty top tier as far as mags go. Bang for the buck though has to go to the DSG black ones! I'd love to have a box of 100.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  17. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
  18. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    I use D&H, never had a problem. Cheap, and they work.

19. I have had good luck with USGI mags and most recently MagPul Pmags work like a champ.