close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

what is the average hard drive size

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by raven11, Sep 10, 2010.

1. raven11

raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    Illinois
    when i bought my first computer around 1995 or 1998 i had a 250gb hard drive, in 2000 i upgraded to a 500gb hard drive and i thought i had all the room in the world

when i moved out i became a big computer gamer, also this was around the time of mp3 downloading and torrents so i ended up with a 2tb hard drive

i haven't bought a new computer at the store in awhile and i was wondering what is the "normal" size harddrive to have

2. Lol, my first pc was an original IBM PS2, 30mb hdd, and I still use it, I keep it loaded up with GEOWORKS software and use it as my non internet linked PDA.

My next one up was a Magnavox 386 from Monky wards with a 60mb hdd.

I'm assuming your question references todays comps, I just purchased a new desktop and two laptops from Dell:

1. Dell XPS Desktop, Intel i7, 8 gig ram, 500gig HDD and 2 gig video card with Win7 Pro 64
    2. 2 Dell Inspiron 15r's, Intel i5, 6gig ram, 500gig HDD, and 1 gig ATI Mobility Radeon video card with Win7 Pro 64

From what I've seen around, it seems the 500gig is the standard these days.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010

3. kymarkh

kymarkh

Jun 8, 2004
    Kentucky
    My first PC was a Pentium 100 with 4Mb RAM and 240Mb HD. I upgraded it to 8Mb RAM within one week of ownership - at 100 bucks a MB! Those were the days... I was heavy into playing Air Warrior online and was on top of the world with my Pentium. Nowdays I hardly ever use computers except at work.

Most of the Desktop PC's I'm upgrading or rebuilding at work these days have between 160Gb and 320Gb drives in them. These are Dell/XP machines that are between 2 and 3 years old. We are placing 500Gb drives in them.

Most of our Dell/XP Laptops have between 80Gb and 120Gb drives in them and are being replaced with 320Gb drives.

My home PC has a 500Gb drive in it also and is used mostly to store photos, etc.

My brother is a gamer and heavy torrent user and has twin TB drives + several external drives and still complains that he needs more space, so it's all relative.

4. 80GB is as small as they make hard drives these days. I would say 160-320Gb is "average" for a modern computer.

5. raven11

raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    Illinois

i'm actually surprised people are still upgrading laptop internal hard drives. most of the college kids i meet have a external hd that plugs into the USB, i figured that was the new norm since prices on externals have dropped over the years

back in the day you couldn't buy a external that didn't need a separate power outlet, now i can't find a external to buy at Best Buy(for example) that needs one

edit: i looked at my first hd again and it was actually 120 gb ..and it still runs!

6. kymarkh

kymarkh

Jun 8, 2004
    Kentucky
    Our salespeople don't want anything hanging off their laptops and I don't blame them. Just one more thing for them to lose!

7. raven11

raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    Illinois
    seeing the lost and found bins filled with hard drives, I don't blame them :rofl:

8. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    My first computer....
    Atari 400 with 16 kb ram and a tape drive because I could not afford a floppy drive.

Because I run Linux and don't play games I'm pretty happy with 250 MB drives.

My home server has 2 ea. 160 mb drives in RAID 1 for / and a 1 tb drive for junk and stuff. (Gets backed up to a 2 tb usb drive).

9. RTmarc

RTmarc

Mar 18, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    I think your dates might be slightly off considering the 150GB threshold wasn't crossed until sometime around 2003 or 2004. 500GB drives weren't even released until Hitachi did so another year or so afterward. Hitachi is the group that usually makes the most breakthroughs when it comes to storage.

That being said, most computers are shipping with 300-500GB drives now.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  10. raven11

raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    Illinois
    i think you may be right,i was never good with dates :embarassed:

11. Wrong. Do a search. You'll find smaller drives all day long on places like Amazon. Why? I don't know, but they're still out there, and for sale.

12. Why? If you have an older laptop, this is an excellent (and cheap) upgrade. I just updated a laptop with a drive three times the size of the original and it has a faster rpm speed. It made a HUGE difference in performance since the original 40gb drive was just about filled, which ALWAYS slows down performance.

In fact, I'm using it right now as I'm still loading all the applications back on. :cool:

13. 250 gigs in the mid-late '90's, huh? Yeah, right! :rofl:

14. Jdog

Jdog

Sep 10, 2007
    wasatch range
    I sell hard drives for a living..
    since the cheapest hard drives out right now are 320gb... ($40 average wholesale cost) I'd say 500gb is "normal" ($55 average wholesale cost)... and even 1tb ($65 average wholesale cost)is pretty common now also being $20 more than the 320gb

Hdd's will be out dated soon.

Just wait for the new super fast intel 160gb ssd drive to come down in cost first... it should start comming down as soon as their larger sizes are released

15. Jdog

Jdog

Sep 10, 2007
    wasatch range
    seahawk... he was referring to the size "made" ... not for "sale"
    hell, I can get a 10mb hard drive on amazon or ebay if I wanted to ... but i don't... lol

and actually seagate and western digital are probably not even making 80gb any more.... there still will be plenty floating out there in the sales channels but why buy them when the bigger ones are the same cost?
    The maintstream sata hard drive manufacturers usually discontinue a drive before it gets to cheap.
    (people reading this post 6-months from now will probably laugh at 320gb being the cheapest... that's how fast this market moves)

-jd

16. What about the "wearing out" because of limited write cycles associated with SSD storage?

17. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

Oct 6, 2005
    michigan
    what about it?

i highly doubt you'd ware out an ssd if you were using it in a home/business scenario before you'd replace a regular sata/ata disk in the same application.

18. What about hard core gamers?

19. Jdog

Jdog

Sep 10, 2007
    wasatch range
    yes that is a valid concern. I just got done with a "breakout" session seminar with kingston memory folks (who create, OEM and rebrand intel's ssd drives) and they admit the ssd's have a little bit shorter life cycle than normal platter spinning hdd's (maybe 5-10yrs or so)
    that means the word of the day is "backup"

you know how out of date and slow "tape backup" is??? well we're seeing (my company) an increased demand right now for lto5 tape library sales in data centers as a backup to san/disk backup based units since all this hype about life span of current drives
    since tape doesnt go bad (at least on the first 10-20 re-writes...lol) and will store for ages

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  20. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

Oct 6, 2005
    michigan
    what about them?