Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

What is Texas toast?

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Aug 20, 2012.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    What is Texas toast? Well Texas toast is thick sliced bread that you normally put butter on, toast it and eat it with your meal. When you buy Texas toast you are getting ripped off it is extremely expensive and as stated above it's just thick sliced white bread, so they are scamming you just because the bread is sliced thicker. The other day I was watching Bobby Flay on the food network and he was smoking a Brisket, he said he was going to have Texas toast also and he grabbed a loaf of bread and sliced of 2 thick slices buttered them up and threw them on the grill. Why the hell have I never thought of that? Up till now I always let myself get gouged and bought it at the store. Well I for one will never get gouged again on TT, nope, no sir, not me:thumbsup:
  2. napp32

Dec 19, 2009
    I've always had a problem with Croutons, Oakie. It just seems silly to pay extra for toasted chunks of stale bread.

3. tongix

Oct 10, 2009
    ANother enterpreneurial way to rip you of your hardearned dollars. Texas sized means just a little bigger , okey. Thats all there is to it. NO magic involved.
    But here in Texas ,we love our beef brisket. NOthing like a good texas brisket smoked with apple and pecan wood flavor.:wavey:
  4. Mmmmmmmmm! Texas toast!!!!!!

5. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Sep 22, 2011
    Naw Cackalacky
    It's half of a grilled cheese sandwich, minus the cheese...
  6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Around here, french toast at a restaurant has been served with extra-thick bread for as long as I can remember.

Maybe it should be properly called "The Toast Formerly Known as Massachusetts Toast."

Doesn't roll off the tongue as well, tho.

And FWIW, if Texas Toast is double-sized, how big is Alaska Toast? I want a few slices of that.
  7. failsafe

Oct 25, 2003
    Thick toasted bread was most likely a result from leftover Loaves of bread..My Uncle had a deli 40 years ago..He had his loaves of bread flown in ..when the bead would start to stale, he would make a thick sliced bread, with olive oil, and an assortment of toppings, baked in a pizza oven...
    WOW, fantastic...
  8. I've made pizza on a piece of either French or Italian bread sliced in two the entire length of the loaf and it is great!!! Can easily be baked in a toaster oven.
  9. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006

I agree that this is good and easy to make. The nice thing is that you can make as much or little as you want, and not have to have a lot of leftovers. (If you choose to do this)

French bread is customarily what we use at home.
  10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    I love the Texas Toast - are you people sure you've had it? One great thing about Famous dave's BBQ is they put everything on top of some texas toast.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  11. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Jun 25, 2002
    Anniston, Alabama
    Something that is proclaimed to be bigger than any other, but is not.

Something that is proclaimed to be somehow different than any other toast, but is not.

Something that is was in actuality originally created to cover up the fact that the actual main ingredient is stale, old, and really needs to be discarded.

Seems a fitting State name, doesn't it.

NOTE: j/k. Don't get violent.
  12. okie, you can be excused, for not knowing about Texas toqast, since you are not from Texas. :yawn:

I do think that is aboput the only food, that you don't know about. :supergrin: :rofl: :wavey:
  13. curlysir

Aug 15, 2011
    NE Texas
    This or a cast iron skillet, grilled on both sides. I prefer Crisco to butter but either way will work.

14. My MIL worked for a major manufacturer of bread croutons and stuffing. She always told us how the old bread was then left to dry and became croutons or bird stuffing.
  15. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Mar 11, 2007
    Wait'll you see a stick of Texas butter!!

16. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Mar 14, 2006
    Breaking the law in CT

One of the things I miss from home is the Chateau's thick cut Italian bread. Awesome not only with dinner, but take a loaf home for french toast the next day...

I hope you're happy, now I'm home sick (I'll have to think of the crappy gun laws to get over it)
  17. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    Lean Beef burger patty, 4 strips of bacon, American Cheese...

Served up on Texas Toast!

I *loved* being a cook at times... :cool:

Got invited to lots of parties...

Try it - and be sure to substitute Blue Cheese for the American Cheese every once in a while.

That's my Texas Toast story.

18. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    Garlic bread for the stupid. HH
  19. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Yum-O sweetie pie:eat::kiss::hugs:
  20. okie