Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

What is one computer program/os/trick I SHOULD be using??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GlockSupremacy, Oct 19, 2010.

1. GlockSupremacy

GlockSupremacy Recycle Kids!

Feb 14, 2005
    After my recent cat 5 noob question, I am wondering what else I should know about computers that I missed along the way. I have built computers etc but have logic gaps.

I recently tried ubuntu (again) on a laptop and i love it this time! I am going to start messing with wine for power point and what not to ween off windows.

For windows I have 7-zip, a bunch of power toys,tab mix plus, fox it reader, VLC etc. That make windows a good experience.

What else should I try!? Windows or Linux?
  2. IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Even better, use Ubuntu, and setup Windows in a Virtual OS, when you need Powerpoint, Fire up XP, do your stuff, then shut down Windows, all while never leaving Linux.

3. Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    Doesnt OpenOffice have a PowerPoint alternative?

Try Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Fedora too. Heck try Linux Mint also.

IndyGunFreak makes a very good suggestion too. You can even install Mac OSX in a Virtual box.
  4. Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    Maybe try PC BSD too.
  5. kc8ykd

Oct 6, 2005
    i don't consider any question to really be a noob question, everybody's gotta learn somehow, and the best way is to do what you did and ask.

i like the suggestions above and would only really add, that no matter what operating system you use, give firefox or chrome a try. and, install the adblock and noscript addons.

if you settle on using windows, even in a virtual environment, get some sort of antivirus program, avg and avast are two good free ones (and there's a third i can never remember the name of, hopefully someone will chime in with it for me).

thanks GIockGuy24, Avira was the other a/v program i couldn't think of. i totally second the revo and security essentials suggestions too.

i'll have to check out IZArc, i kinda stopped looking after i switched from winrar to 7zip many moons ago.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    Avira Antivir is one of the best and fastest, lightest anti virus programs. Microsoft now has Security Essentials for free which is an excellent anti virus program. A good behavioral protection program is PC Tools Threatfire. It will give a pop up ad once a week to buy the complete security suite but that isn't needed. Threatfire works with the any of the anti virus programs.

Ccleaner is a good drive cleaner and registry cleaner.

Extract Now or IZArc are good compressed archive extractors. IZArc handles more types than Extract Now including the Alcohol formats. Extract Now might be a bit easier to use but neither is difficult.

I use TUGZip instead of 7-zip but they are similar.

Revo Uninstaller for uninstalling old programs or updating them cleanly.

Mozilla Firefox with NoScript, AdBlock Plus, BetterPrivacy, BrowserMasquerade and BitDefender QuickScan add-ons.
  7. DoubleWide

Sep 3, 2008
    When I used Linux, my setup was to install a base debian install then use nano to add repositories then use apt to install kde base, synaptic, and some nvidia stuff. You get a clean install with a gui. You can use synaptic to quickly install any programs you like.
  8. Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    If you've just installed Ubuntu I suggest you go here:

Try 1 or 2 of everything. Plus you just have to have a rotating cube display. Wrap a running video around a corner and rotate the cube slowly.

Get wine working and configure Samba to access a Windows system.
    Ya gotta play with Blender!

And the list goes on and on.