close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What is least understood about being a cop by those not in or close to LE?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by RussP, Jan 7, 2013.

1. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    We had two kinds of ride-alongs. The first kind was because they were taking a CJ class and were forced to as part of it. I HATED those. They were only there because they had to be and had no real interest in doing anything.

The other kind is the one where the person WANTS to be there and is interested in our job. I loved doing those. I always tried to do some traffic stops, maybe a trip to jail, a report, responding to whatever I could to give them a broad view of the job. I didn't mind asking any of the questions either.

I'd suggest checking the website of your county sheriff, then calling them if they don't have anything about ride-alongs.

2. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    No assumption, just benefit of the doubt. Yes, some agencies do not advertise non-sworn citizens can ride along.

3. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

I have seen it from both sides as a ride-a-long. The county is stretched thin so they might have to go in solo with backup 10 to 20 minutes out. Fargo PD, your backup might be 1 or 2 minutes out. Most domestics are frequent fliers so you know what you are going to be dealing with before you get there.

Get dispatched and the Sgt says it is not going to be pretty. If this guy has been drinking he WILL resist and it will take 3 or 4 officers to cuff him. Upon arrival the neighboring tenants are in the hall and getting upset with the first officer because he is wasting his time shooing them into their apartments rather than busting the door down. You can tell it is very physical in there. Two more officers just drove into the parking lot so the Sgt is now ready to start.

Talked about it afterwords and he said it is a frequent situation where people get pissed because they, the officers, do not charge right into the situation.

On the county side we dealt with 3 domestics solo to start with. Two were minor and stayed solo, the third required another deputy and HP was en route to back up if needed.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  4. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Kansas
    From my experience with many different ride-a-longs, it's more about the officer than the rider. I can make anything fun. LE is fun, from the start, it's giuding a tour of the Disneyland of Life. The worst ride-a-longs I've had were when they saw things they thought they weren't ready to see when they thought they were. Even so, everyone has told me they enjoyed it and were glad they went. It's all about delivery.

5. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Congrats on your ride alongs Poppa. Nikerret- thanks for your real world LE answer.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  6. I've been an investigator for about 2.5 years. A few of the things I'd like the public to know. (We've covered TV crime shows so I won't cover them again.)

I wished people would get off Facebook. :steamed: I am so tried of hearing about someone has harassed someone on FB. I have had 40 year old women filing report on each for calling each other b**ch and wh**e because one catch the other sleeping with her husband on FB. Grown up for God sakes. He ain't worth fighting for if he cheats.

If you find pictures dirty pictures of your 15 year old daughter's 19 year old boyfriend her cell phone, don't be surprised that he has dirty pictures of her on his. Bottom line: self respect is best at home at an early age.

7. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    How much extra paperwork to carry the 12 gauge??? :supergrin:

Randy

8. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

Aug 13, 2004
    far from home

People call the police over FACEBOOK? I'd ask how stupid can it get, but I'm afraid of the answer!

9. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    ALL the time...

10. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Several interviews, psych evals, academy time, maybe a year or so!

11. Naelbis

Naelbis

Oct 22, 2009
    ND
    Criminals don't just magically disappear and become good people once arrested. No one who hasn't walked a tier for a shift or three can understand what it takes from you, day after day. Not the admin who run the place, the judges who sentence people or the cops who pick them up off the street and then move on to the next. We are out of sight and out of mind, and the only time people think about us are when we ask for money or screw up.

12. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

Jan 16, 2009
    Central Pennsylvania

I once arrested a college girl for retail theft. She was cuffed and placed in the back seat of my patrol car. On the way to the booking center she told me that she is a Criminal Justice major and that one of the requirements for her class was to take a ride-along with a local PD. She then actually asked me, through the cage, if she do a ride-along with my department!? :faint:

I asked her if she thought that this particular ride would count....she said thought about it for a few seconds, said "probably not" and was quite for the rest of the trip.

13. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Ain't that the truth!

14. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Kansas
    None!

It's almost amazing how many people I arrest who are studying to become a LEO or have that aspiration.

Not as amazing as people's ability to get caught a few weeks before they turn 21...get off probation...get their DL back...etc.

15. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Hey, that's an idea!! Continuing education for judges. A seven day OJT in a lock-up. :cool:

16. Naelbis

Naelbis

Oct 22, 2009
    ND
    Oh how I have wished for that...Honestly judges have too much power for how insulated they are from their decisions. Everything they do is an abstract for them since they have us to deal with all the hands on dirty work. Put them in a car for a week, then put them in a block for another. Require them to repeat it every couple of years as a reminder.

17. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Kansas
    You've got my vote.

18. spcwes

spcwes

Feb 22, 2005
    Texas
    This would be fantastic as well as mandatory minimums that are >actually used< as though I might put a bit of emphasis on that by using those weird <> arrows around it.

19. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    When I was working, I had a buddy that did that all the time. When I finally got the chance to introduce him, I said, "This is [buddy]. He's an accountant." He got the hint pretty quick.

20. Lol...:supergrin: