close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What is better than Norton Internet Security and Anti-Virus?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ArmoredSaint, Jun 12, 2005.

1. ArmoredSaint

ArmoredSaint

Aug 16, 2002
    USA
    I am looking for better software than Norton Internet Security and Ant-Virus as my subscription expires in 2 weeks, is McAfee any good? Thanks!

2. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Feb 15, 2002
    CA
    http://www.grisoft.com

http://www.avast.com

http://www.free-av.com/

Top two I have used. Third one I have not but have seen it recommended a few places. All are free.

I like AVG, but have been using Avast as of late. Been happy with both, but think I like Avast better.

As far as firewall goes, I have a router. However, been told Sygate and Kerio are good.

3. Avast is a good anti-virus program.You can delete the Norton abti-virus from Norton Internet Security and still keep the rest of Norton Internet Security.Even the updates for that,though few,remain free.It's the anti-virus updates you must pay.I find that the Norton firewall blocks a bit more than it should,making some connections difficult.If you don't have a problem with it you can keep the rest of Norton and just delete the antivirus when you replace it.Zone Alarm is a good firewall.Sygate also works.When you get a new antivirus program try deleting just the antivirus part of Norton first.This works fine for most people.

4. I find Zone Alarm and Avast cause fewer compatibilty issues than Sygate and AVG sometimes.Some people find Sygate and AVG a bit easier to use but Zone Alarm and Avast aren't too difficult.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    Quoted from ArmoredSaint:
    Just about anything is!

IMHO, ;0 ;0 NIS ;0 ;0 NAV ;0 ;0

Personally, I use Avast and a router-based hardware firewall solution; I find Black Ice and Kaspersky to be very good software firewalls but older versions of ZA are also okay.

Have not used SyGate in a long time so I can't comment on that one.

6. nickg

nickg

Jan 16, 2002
    Avast anti-virus and Sygate firewall used here. both excellent programs.

7. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

Dec 13, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I have had good luck with PC-Cillin, by Trend Micro..

8. jrny

jrny

Oct 23, 2001
    TEXAS
    You might want to try out NOD32 http://www.eset.com

I have been using this AV for over a year now and it has stopped everything. I also use it to clean infected systems where McAfee and NAV let something slip by.

9. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    there are two 'best' anti-virus programs, slightly different features. Nod32 is VERY GOOD, arguably best, and then there's Kaspersky's Anti-Virus, my personal fave, which has one or two 'best' features but is a bit slower to scan. If you have an older, slower machine, you may want NOD32. If you have a newer fast one, either one is a good option, and KAV is a little better on unasked-for installs of spyware & trojans.

They are within a hair of each other, either one will work so well you'll not want to change. Price comparable.

AVG is probably about as good as a free one gets, but.. I neither trust nor recommend free AV's, as they are slow to update definitions. If your data matters, it matters enough to pay for a good AV. AVG is about as good as norton but is a trifle more stable and uses a bit less resources. you'll see no huge difference.

Sygate Firewall is good, Kerio Old Version (free) is adequate. Version # 2.15..

Both are 'rule based' and less visual than Zone Alarm. I strongly recommend trying Kerio. If that works, quit. Free isn't WRONG when it works well.

Sygate has a free version as well, but unless you wish to pay for the commercial version, Kerio probably beats Sygate. Judgment call, six of one and five n'a half of the other.
    ;e