Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

What is a "frame upgrade" by Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by swh_longhorn, Nov 26, 2012.

1. I'm sending my Glock 17 Gen 2 to Glock for some service work.

On the warranty form they list a "frame upgrade" as one of the services. Can someone tell what they do or what it entials?

Also, they list "refinish slide". Is this this something that is worth doing? I've had similar services offered by manufactures (not gun) in the past and it turned out not be worth the extra cost.

2. Aeromat809

Oct 29, 2012
    I would not refinish my slide unless the wear or excessive wear bothered you! Guns are tools and when have you heard of a carpenterthat refinished his hammer ? I take my EDC watches in every 3-5 years and have them polished but not my guns. Can't help on the frame upgrade ! YMMV

3. tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    Glock sends the slide off to have it refinished. Ive had them do one of mine a few years back and it came out looking as good as new. As for the frame replacement they will probably change your Gen 2 frame out to a Gen 3 frame. Numbers will no longer match.
  4. HD45ACP

Jul 20, 2011
    I thought the upgrade was putting a RFID chip in the older glocks? LOL
  5. cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Correct. The refinish is just the black that you can see, not the "Tenifer".

Gen3 frame upgrade is free if the stock frame is broken in some way. It gives you the RTF-1 texture, 3 pin assembly and new locking block, but the serial numbers will be different. Though if your frame has had much aging or hydrolysis, it may be a good option.

6. Ssireum

Jan 15, 2012
    What's RTF1? I've heard of RTF2 and always figured there was a 1, but is it the standard Gen 3 texture?
  7. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    If you send a Gen1 or Gen2 back to Glock you risk them replacing the frame with a Gen3, or the whole gun with a Gen3 or Gen4 without them asking you first. If you like the frame without the finger grooves I wouldn't send the frame back to them unless absolutely necessary.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  8. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Correct . SJ 40
  9. ken grant

ken grant

Apr 3, 2004
    middle ga.
    Glock replaced the frame on my Gen 2 23.
    I now have a Gen 2/3 with mis-matched numbers:upeyes:
  10. Yep, you are absolutely correct. I talked to Glock this morning. If I did a frame upgrade with my Gen 2, I would get a Gen 3 frame and numbers won't match. I asked them if they switch the little number plate on the frame and was told they used to do that, but no longer. So anytime there is a frame upgrade, you will get mismatched numbers.

I asked them if they did a frame upgrade can I have my old Gen 2 frame back? Answer was no. Something about FED LAW?

I'll stick with my Gen 2 frame, which I bought in the first place because I like the grip.
  11. cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    This is most likely for gun product liability. 5 years ago, they charged me $150 for the frame upgrade, is it "free" now?

If so, I wish the car dealers would do that...

12. cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Mismatched numbers on a Glock are not a big deal, for those who know Glocks, but it seems to affect resale value for buyers who don't understand the Glock service process.

There is really no reason to have the serial number stamped on the slide and the barrel, GLOCK really can (need to) stop doing that for the US market.
  13. Khalsa

Aug 6, 2015
    Now it's listed as $100+tax
  14. 17glock17

Jul 23, 2010
    So are many hammers costs over $500? I treat my guns like guns but damn am I tired of this ridiculous analogy.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    t1tan and valvestem like this.
  15. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I guess perhaps the slide refinishing issue hinges partially on whether one views the finish as a visual enhancement or as a method to reduce corrosion and staining.
  16. klawson

May 9, 2014
    I wouldn't call it a frame upgrade. If the frame isn't damaged, I'd not send it in. I'd be extremely mad when it came back. Gen 2's are awesome!
    chemboy likes this.
  17. Khalsa

Aug 6, 2015
    Actually people who live in the bush often keep a "tool" such as a good axe, or also yes, a HAMMER, for a lifetime, or maybe generations! Replacing the frame on a Glock could be seen like replacing the handle one a beloved axe or hammer, and replacing the springs is no different than re-sharpening that beloved axe... Honestly I like the idea that you could keep a Glock barrel and slide for generations, those parts should never wear out if used right...