close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What if they approach while you are holding them at gunpoint?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by poodleshooter1, Aug 24, 2011.

1. MrGlock21

MrGlock21 NRA Instructor

Apr 16, 2001
    North Texas
    Time to evoke good ole' Jeff Cooper, quoting from his Principles of Personal Defense: "...Laws vary, and cannot be memorized encyclopedically; in any case, we are not concerned here about jurisprudence, but about survival."

2. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    Sounds good to me. Beyond the Internet I don't know any of you. Including the guys at the link I posted. :thumbsup:

Hopefully you never get in the situation. Here's to hoping if you do and you talk, you talk to a cop you can trust.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

3. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I know the questions to ask them to determine how trustworthy they are.

4. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I avoid this issue by not trying to "capture" anyone. If someone comes at me with a knife or bat and decides to drop it... I will get away from them or they can get away from me, either is just fine. Just speaking for myself, I cant imagine any reason that I would detain, capture or hold anyone by force.

5. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Amen, brother. If my G17 ever comes out, it will be for shooting, not detaining. I am not an LEO.

6. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

Aug 18, 2009
    Metro ATL
    -I have a different opinion about not talking to the police after a shooting. When the police arrive they don't know who shot who, who were the aggressors, and I'm sure they will want all weapons on the ground. If the perp starts yelling to the cops how you tried to kill him and he had to defend himself, you will stand by saying nothing? If the perp had a weapon and when the cops arrive he trows it away, you don't tell the officers where the weapon is? I believe I would give the officers a brief account of what happened in my view, then ask not to answer any questions until I have a chance to collect myself. That is when I would ask for my lawyer. Others my disagree.

NN

7. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I believe we've lost sight of the original scenario...
    What's important in the first part is that the weapons require the BG be in very close proximity to to the victim to be used.
    Cops will tell you BG's use distractions to gain an advantage over their victims. Talking, sloooowly moving are just two.
    First and most important, everyone should know the use of deadly force laws in their own state as well as any state to which they travel while armed. They provide the base for any decision you make.

Equally important, I believe, is keep out of situations where you'll likely be involved in a confrontation. Yeah, I know, that's a, "Well, DUH!!" point.

It's been my experience that no matter how well you plan, train and prepare mentally, something unexpected is going to happen.

For example, in the OP's scenario, lets add that the victim is 6', 190lbs, healthy, and in good physical shape. The BG is 5'8", 140lbs, pale looking, and does not look to be in good physical condition.

The victim draws and the BG drops his weapon, puts his hands out to his sides at chest level. Looks like he's giving up, quitting, right?

Go back to the scenario. He begins to talk softly, barely audible, and begins making baby-steps towards the victim. He begins flexing his fingers. You're the victim, he's now 10', 120 inches from you.

Let's add more to the scenario. This is in front of the local gasmart. There are other customers inside. They are watching, but can't hear the BG telling you he is going to stick his hand into your chest and rip your heart out and feed it to you. All they see is a man holding a gun on someone holding his arms out in a non-threatening manner.

5' away he begins to bring his arms forward, slowly. Bang, bang...BG drops.

Did you shoot too late or too soon?

Cops arrive. They ask, "What happened?" You don't say anything, or you say you'll be happy to talk after you've talked to your attorney, or any of the other "I don't talk to cops" phrases. They are talking to the witnesses in the store. The witnesses are giving officers "their perspective" of the events in "great detail" (right or wrong). Cops inside come out and tell the cop talking to you the version(s) they heard inside.

They ask you again, "What happened?" You still refuse choose to give no information. Do you think you have helped yourself or hurt yourself?

8. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX

Depends on what you'd say. Do you know what in that circumstance will absolutely help you, and what would hurt you? Are you sure you are going to get exactly what happened right? What if you get something wrong? No matter what you say you are going for the ride. And in your scenario what you say will differ from what the witness said.

What do you expect to gain from immediately talking that could not be gained later? Maybe there is something critical. Are you going to be able to clearly articulate it? In that moment do even realize what would be the critical element that could help you? The investigation into what happened is just beginning.

Since you posed the question what if you are too early or too late-
    What if you are in the wrong (by legal definition). You still think it's a good idea to start talking?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  9. Those are all good issues, and go back to the idea that "don't talk to the police" does not mean the same thing as "don't say anything to the police". You don't want to go through an interrogation. You do want to establish a basic "I'm the good guy here" line.
    That is not really accurate. There are plenty of instances where there was no immediate arrest of the shooter in SD situations.

10. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    Agreed. The hurdle though is knowing what to say and when to say it. My opinion is that the average CCW holder spends 99% of their time thinking about gear and how to stay within the law. Very few think about what happens after a shooting and most are ill prepared when the police show up to their homicide scene. Knowing what to say and when to shut up is something that most will be clueless on.

In the conext of Russ's scenario it is quite accurate, IMO. Outside his scenario I agree with you.

11. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Yep...

That is correct.
    In all probability, yes, I will.
    Yes, but I will not be discussing those details.
    Again, I will not be going into those details.
    As David said, that may or may not be true.
    No, not really.

Establishing my reason for shooting.
    I'll not be discussing details to that degree.
    Me? Oh hell yes, but again, I'll not be discussing the details.
    Yes.
    That is the key, "just beginning."

Whether one is right or wrong would be decided many weeks or months down the road. I am not, repeat, not going to plead my case at the scene.

12. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    All true.
    Perhaps and yes.

13. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    So Russ- given that we agree that most are clueless on what to say, when to say it, and when to shut up, do you feel that most should attempt to establish their good guy line?

Or might it be better to suggest that the average CCW holder take several classes from well respected instructors who have related curriculum and formulate their own plan based on the knowledge that they gain from talking/listening to those that know, and what they know about their own ability to think rationally in high stress situations?

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    As we are contemplating this, it may be well to remember that professional criminals are excellent at "lawyering up" and some officers could potentially conclude, true or not, that "lawyering up" equates to hard core criminal status.

15. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Where did we agree?
    I would suggest people know and understand state law, talk with people with experience, talk with local police, and talk with local attorneys.

16. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I was told(by a real attorney and former leo) to clearly point out to the responding officers how you're the victim even though the other guy is the one with the ventilation holes and leaking all over the place, by telling the officers what the individual done, how you responded, how you feared for your life/safety and to tell them that they can expect your full cooperation within 24 hrs after you've had time to speak with an attorney.

17. Exactly.

Deaf

18. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    I didn't think it was much of a leap that you'd agree with a statement you believed was true.

19. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Where did I say that?

20. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    What am I missing here? It's possible I am misinterpreting, but I don't know how. Help!