close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What if I put tape over my guns serial number?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by talon, Mar 9, 2012.

1. talon

talon

Jun 10, 2001
    Dallas,Tx,USA
    What if I put tape over my guns serial number? (I've lost track of those threads)

Perhaps the question is what constitutes a search. Requiring me to remove my watch(gun) so that the serial number can be checked is a search in my mind. OTOH searching cell phones is fair game now I understand.(for now)

2. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I moved this topic to its own thread...

Later in this thread Rick68FL posts asking:
    Note in the OP the part in Blue
    The topic is from, I think, maybe late 2009, probably early 2010.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

3. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

Oct 20, 2002
    Mm..looks like heaven
    Can you provide a cite to the decision allowing warrantless searches of cell phones? Because everything I've ever read on the subject requires a warrant.

4. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Wouldn't the act of intentionally concealing a serial number on a firearm create reasonable suspicion? I'm not a LEO, but I would think it was reasonable for a LEO to investigate that further.

5. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Yup, many places have laws dealing with altering or hiding the serial number on a firearm.

6. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    Any L/E officer see's a weapon with a covered serial number, will quickly think it is stolen.

Why cover it?

:dunno:

7. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
  8. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    :agree:

Sounds like just another person trying to push the envelope.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  9. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

Mar 1, 2001
    SC
    What benefit could possibly be derived from doing this?
    Am I missing something?

10. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    sound like the equivalent of OCers that seek encounters with the police so they can video tape it. Sound like someone is pushing the envelope with LE to see what will happen.

11. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    Don't buy stolen guns and you won't have to worry about covering the serial number.

12. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Surely you are aware that this is not the motive behind the topic.

13. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Probably depend on what your states laws are. I know in Cali some OCers would put tape over their serial numbers so the police couldn't get the numbers off it (basically cops could only look at what was in plain sight). I know of people who review guns who cover up the serial number with tape so others can't see it.

14. kensteele

kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    Keep in mind your firearm in the holster has the serial number covered. last time I was disarmed, the officer removed both my holster and firearm together. Pretty sure he couldn't claim I was covering the serial number when all he has to do is remove the firearm from the holster.

A piece of tape over the serial number that can be easily removed is not an attempt to alter the serial number or unlawfully cover it up. IANAL, but even I would know how to explain what happened should I wind up in court over such a bogus charge. However, I don't use tape and I don't mess with my s/n. I don't understand how putting tape over it constitutes a search but an officer reading it (in plain view?) without your permission doesn't constitute a search (except if allowed by state law).

IMO, if you don't commit a crime and your firearm is not stolen and your s/n is not defaced, I haven't read each and every state law but my guess is....you're fine. consult a lawyer first before you decide to do this. you should understand there are a whole bunch of gotchas designed solely to make the permit holder into an instant criminal and hardly any of those gotchas involve any sort of violent crime so ymmv.

15. I carry concealed and nothing shows. Maybe tape would be good for some pictures if you are worried about it. Otherwise, covering the number has no purpose unless there is some new high resolution can catching you commit a crime with a gun you legally bought.

16. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    Yes... I am aware

It amazes me sometimes how innocent people can try their best to look guilty though.

17. Rick68FL

Rick68FL Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Sunshine State
    Seriously? Do people lie awake at night thinking of dumb topics to post about?

18. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    :rofl:

Sometimes that is too true.

19. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

20. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000