close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What I would like to see..

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by fxdwngflyr, Feb 11, 2006.

1. fxdwngflyr

fxdwngflyr
    Expand Collapse
    NSDQ 92-03

Allowed carry on military bases by active duty military. That would please me alot. We could even restrict it to senior nco's and field grade officers and above.

I carry in virginia and have to leave early in the am and return late in the pm. I would like to carry enroute to and from work. Cannot do this now because we are not allowed to carry on base.

Would also like to take my firearm to the war.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. M1 SUPER 90

M1 SUPER 90
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 06-07

I'm with ya all the way!:cool:

3. hi speed

hi speed
    Expand Collapse
    10MMGLOCKROCKER

Isn't it funny they make make it so hard for us. I'm with you cuz killeen tx. has an overwhelming crime and disorder problem. Seems freeloaders tend to flock to service communities. they make it hard for us to protect what little bit we do have. Not to mention I had to go to iraq just to afford most of it...........

4. MP1SG

MP1SG
    Expand Collapse

That will never happen. Besides being the law, the military culture of control and double standards would never be so liberal.

5. Black Tiger

Black Tiger
    Expand Collapse

This might be considered sacrilege upon my part, but I am against that idea. I am an Army MP and the idea of soldiers carrying in their off time is just asking for trouble. I have had to deal with drunk and disorderly soldiers in the past while working garisson duty and I can't imagine the idea of having a drunk soldier get in an argument over a poolhall bet or into an argument over "another guy looking at my girl" kind of situation and have this individual armed with a firearm on post.

Nope! Wrong answer! That's just asking for a shootout. my detachment had situation involving an NCO and his divorced wife (who had an affair with another soldier in the base) kidnap his 3 year old daughter and locking himself at the guest house a few years back and it was a delicate situation that required us to cordon off the guest house, get all the guests out, bring in the SRT and a CID negotiator; it all ended peacefully, but I can imagine the outcome if alcohol and a firearm was involved.

Take it as you may, but I personally prefer that the MPs be the only soldiers walking around post with a weapon on their belts.

6. hi speed

hi speed
    Expand Collapse
    10MMGLOCKROCKER

Hey man these soldiers would be doing worse things if it was not for you guys so high five to you. BUT, not all service members are societies throw backs. I for one do not think that the rights i would die to deffend should be discounted becouse of the Idiotic actions of dumb a**es. Give you a gun to shoot my enimies the army does but ******* you if you have to protect yourself against your own. be it an intruder or car jacker or bank robber or jody or whomever. Can't wait to get out. this holier than thou b.s. has gone way to far. I see that you have a point about drunken soldiers but, the military trusts us enough to carry in defense of this nation. This hypocricy is on par with every other law in the armed service. I'm not an army hater but I do see this problem making it hard for people like myself to want to re up and subject ourselves to the OVERWHELMING bull s***. As for mp,s only..lol.. looks like you win but keep in mind they make mistakes too. Dont end up being the leo on the street at night with that attitude cuz it don't fly with civillians. I know b/c i was an leo who had a gun control nut as a partner and she thought nobody should carry but leo's. This opinion coincided with her overall way of thinking and ultimately led to her demise as an leo.

7. Black Tiger

Black Tiger
    Expand Collapse

I think this goes in unison with the dilema of underage drinking in the military; soldiers that are 17 or 18 should be allowed to drink (IMHO); if they are old enough to go to war and kill and perhaps get killed for their country, giving them the chance to have a cold brew with their buddies seems human enough to me.

As for being able to carry on post, I see it with a weary eye, but that's just me.

8. fxdwngflyr

fxdwngflyr
    Expand Collapse
    NSDQ 92-03

I can appreciate your view. I feel it is tainted.

"the idea of soldiers carrying in their off time is just asking for trouble."

1)

9. jotto

jotto
    Expand Collapse
    19E/19D/19K/12B

I was stationed at Hood from 1994 to 2000. Sorry to hear Killeen is still a crap hole. I ended up moving to Austin for my last 2 years there. The drive sucked but when I was home it was so much nicer than living in Killeen.

10. fxdwngflyr

fxdwngflyr
    Expand Collapse
    NSDQ 92-03

OOPS!!

Anyway, I already carry on my off duty time. Heck, I carry legally on duty sometimes. There are always a few who will mess things up but we need to remember that if I were a bad guy I dont need your permission to carry. I will anyway. I will do what I want regardless of the law. This is the reason gun control does not work. Criminals dont obey the law.

MP's have problem children also. To tell the truth I dont trust MP's with their sidearms. They have no respect for it. To them it is like carrying a canteen on your hip.

We need to remember not to hold the law abiding masses to rules set up for the criminals.

11. fxdwngflyr

fxdwngflyr
    Expand Collapse
    NSDQ 92-03

Hey Black Tiger, were you in PR in 01-02. I was on Rosey with SOCSOUTH

12. MP1SG

MP1SG
    Expand Collapse

I understand what you are trying to say, but CCW are allowed in many states. There hasn't been an uprising in shootings because of CCW. You aren't accounting for those who will ilegally and commit the crimes. Your opinon is like many anti-gunners, take the guns from the citizens that abey the laws and only the bad guys will have them. I suggest you move to DC, or NYC where extreme gun control rules.

13. Black Tiger

Black Tiger
    Expand Collapse

I live in FL and I am a CWP Holder. I refused a job with the CIA as an SPO, mainly because DC has some of the stringent gun laws in the nation, second only perhaps to NY and NJ. I am very pro-gun and your assumption is completely wrong. I believe that ALL law-abidding citizens SHOULD be able to own and carry firearms.

However, the concept of carrying personally owned firearms inside a military installation rubs me wrong; I carried my own pistol on post and I felt that turning my weapon over to the shift SGT at the station was a neccesary evil.

Is just my opinion; we can agree to disagree.

14. Black Tiger

Black Tiger
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I was working with the Garisson MP Detachment there. The CG was MG Valenzuela.

15. Linh40

Linh40
    Expand Collapse

If they allowed carry on post then most Soldiers would carry BUT we already have lots of drunk drivers so add alcohol with 2 weapons (a car and now a gun) We already got lots of homocide after the war and spouse abuse so adding a gun isn't gonna help.

As for keeping this to higher nco and field officers while I know some officers that do some crazy things. Of course there are less officers that get in trouble since there are fewer of them but overall I think the percentage is the same for lower enlisted and higher ncos and field officers. Just my opinion and things that I have observed.

16. fxdwngflyr

fxdwngflyr
    Expand Collapse
    NSDQ 92-03

I understand your "senior NCO/Field grade officer" thought process. The ONLY two reasons I say that is because most of the time they have so much invested in the military that they could be expected to do the right thing to save thier careers and maturity level with age. I also have seen the above mentioned chose to screw things up.

Back to the subject, people are going to do stupid stuff. If we chose to restrict all because of a few then we might as well stop all rights that we as americans hold to be true. That would mean no one can own a car, use alcohol, ride on escalators, own motorcycles, fly planes, etc. We must chose to focus on the numbers. If 75% of the population used guns for the wrong then by all means restrict them. That is not the case, especially with the military. The numbers would be 1% and thats rounding up. So lets shoot real numbers and get off the "scared" mentality. Alot more crimes would be stopped if all the "victims" were armed.

17. Black Tiger

Black Tiger
    Expand Collapse

My premise is not of restricting anything; I am well aware that the majority of the US population is law abbiding and that they will do the right thing. However, we don't base our current laws on the law abbiding portion of the population, we base it on that small percentage that will do the wrong thing to minimize their impact on the rest of us.

Besides, what do you need a firearm on post anyways? If you carry because you work on post and your commute takes you around town (off-post) during early and late hours and you are concerned about your personal safety, then that's understandable; just go on post, stop at the MP Station and turn your weapon in, then when you are done, just pick it up, lock and load and you are on your way. I have not restricted your constituional right to keep & bear arms in any way, shape or form.

All I am saying is that people that come into a military installation should turn their weapons into the MPs, take care of their personal business and on their way out, pick their personal weapon back up and that's it.

My opinion is based on my experiences as a garisson MP and as a member of the law enforcement community.

I understand your "senior NCO/Field grade officer" thought process. The ONLY two reasons I say that is because most of the time they have so much invested in the military that they could be expected to do the right thing to save thier careers and maturity level with age. I also have seen the above mentioned chose to screw things up.[/QUOTE]

Being a senior NCO/Officer does not mean anything; remember the incidents in Ft. Bragg, where SF Soldiers killed their wives after returning from Afghanistan and finding out that their wives were cheating on them?

These are not your avereage rank & file soldiers; these were SF soldiers; professionals in the full sense of the word; men who are on avereage E-6s and E-7s with at least 6-8 years in the service and responsible for a myriad of "off the books" operations that are vital to National Security. If these professionals can, in the heat of the moment, do something like killing their spouses in a fit of rage; imagine what your average 22 year old SPC, who is drunk and just got into a fight at the club over something as trivial as losing around of pool...

You know where I am going.

How many people die needlessly over stupid stuff on the outside, like looking at someone else's girl, or a bad stare, or a case of road rage?

Is not a question of rights, is a question of common sense.

18. fxdwngflyr

fxdwngflyr
    Expand Collapse
    NSDQ 92-03

Not really sure where you were stationed but on this installation you cannot turn in your weapon at the gate. I cant even get Soldiers that drive through a formation on purpose detained at the MP station. I read the 190 series regs and also the SOP for this post. I just wish it was protect and serve. As a leader in a unit of 350+ I have had no support from the MP's. Nothing like LEO. You will be ticketed for attempting to bring it on post and until you get the arms room card you will be held to that ticket.

As far as the laws go and how they are made it does not apply to post regulations. Different animal all together.

I have heard your point, I disagree.

19. fxdwngflyr

fxdwngflyr
    Expand Collapse
    NSDQ 92-03

and reference my post comment "maturity with age".

20. MP1SG

MP1SG
    Expand Collapse

We all have valid views on this topic. Of course we aren't going to change anything, so let's get keg and go shootin.