Glock Talk banner

What I don't like about Gen 4's

6K views 59 replies 43 participants last post by  mo.glocker 
#1 ·
We shot 3 courses of fire this past Saturday in Action Pistol. It rained while I shot 2 of those. I was so thankful my G34 was a Gen 4 with that excellent grip texture that shines in the rain.

This is when I wish my other Gen 2 and 3's had the same grip texture. I would prefer to just be happy with what I currently own. Darn those Gen 4's.

#3 ·
Shame on you Barry...you know you just violated the universally natural law that nothing good can be said of Gen4 pistols without describing at least twice as much that is bad, even if you have to make it up.

I'm about to purchase a new Gen4 G33 to replace my Gen2.5 G27 with G33 barrel. I like everything about Gen4. Although it's well-known that Gen4 pistols are a significant cause of global climate change and nuclear reactor meltdown and Dutch elm disease and male pattern baldness and the heartbreak of psoriasis and lend moral/financial support for islamic democrat terrorism, I am more than willing that all humanity's chlidren and puppy dogs pay that small price.

Welcome, Brother! :)

#47 ·
Shame on you Barry...you know you just violated the universally natural law that nothing good can be said of Gen4 pistols without describing at least twice as much that is bad, even if you have to make it up.

I'm about to purchase a new Gen4 G33 to replace my Gen2.5 G27 with G33 barrel. I like everything about Gen4. Although it's well-known that Gen4 pistols are a significant cause of global climate change and nuclear reactor meltdown and Dutch elm disease and male pattern baldness and the heartbreak of psoriasis and lend moral/financial support for islamic democrat terrorism, I am more than willing that all humanity's chlidren and puppy dogs pay that small price.

Welcome, Brother! :)

Mike-M

I love the Gen4. I just wish they could hear all of us that are begging for them to lose the finger grooves!!!

PS - I think our paths crossed a couple of times when you were working in East Tennessee. :)

#9 ·
I like the Decal Grip, Rubber finish, so far it stays on very good,
provides a grip that I like, and does not try to Sand off my Love Handles. Lol I also like the Pachmeyer slip on grips.

#12 ·
I'm currently looking to finally dump my 30S in favor of a gen 4 30. Blasphemy I know.

Then again, I've been thinking I need a new caliber to reload, and a Gen 4 33 would be nice perhaps.

#38 ·
If you were to order from a dealer in California, you can find NOS Austrian Glock's and new American made GEN3's
Since the left coast has decided that Gen 4 Glock's are dangerous and therefore unfit for Californians, all of the Glock pistols sold here, must be Gen 3.
Gen 4 Glocks are not on the CA DOJ list, as approved for consumption for anyone other the LE.
It would cost you a bit more for transfer to your FFL, but my LGS has stacks of all flavors.
Just say'in

#20 ·
I hate the Gen4s because of what they have done to my bank account!!!

#22 ·
I hear the gen 6 glocks are going to be awesome. Great grip and of course the limit capacity of 7 rounds per the UN. I hear the brain wave detection software that makes sure your not sad or angry is working great, and that battery life is now 30 hours and more between charges. And now that lead is not involved the gun stays so much cleaner.

#25 ·
The only experience I have with Gen guns is with some G22s, but I'll throw in my $0.02.

Many years ago, I bought and carried a used 2nd Gen G23 for my PD job in an attempt to gain ammo commonality with most of the rest of my coworkers, who had bought a mix of 3rd Gen G22s and G23s. I reload my pistol ammo and found that my G23 had such poor case head support at the feed ramp that I literally could not work up a decent practice load without getting bulges in the case at the feed ramp. Even factory ammo bulged the case at the feed ramp when fired. Strike #1. The first time I qualified with it, I had a catastrophic case head separation which started at the massively unsupported feed ramp. Case head let go, magazine and extractor blew out and I thought I had lost my trigger finger. Luckily, my finger was OK but, at the time, it hurt bad enough I thought I was really hurt. Strike #2. I also found that the G23 (and later, when I shot a couple, the G22s also) displayed quite a bit more muzzle flip during recoil than any other 9mm or .45 gun I have ever shot. Noticeably slowed my time between shots. It wasn't as bad as some make it out, but a lot more than it should have been and annoying as all get out. Strike #3 and it was out. I went back to my G21 for my duty gun.

Fast forward to a few years ago. My PD got a new Chief who decreed that everyone would carry G22s for duty guns. He bought 8 Gen4 G22s to cover those that didn't already have a G22, with intentions of buying more the next year as the budget allowed, until everyone was carrying an issued Gen4 G22. He ended up getting another job about 6 months later and our policy went back to allowing personally owned duty guns if you wanted.

As the head firearms instructor, I was the one that inspected and test fired all the new G22s, as well as being the first one to get one issued. Let me tell you, if I hadn't already developed a hatred of the .40 round, the Gen4 G22 may have changed my mind and made me a believer. The dual recoil spring assembly tamed the annoying muzzle flip and I'd estimate that recoil and muzzle flip was roughly the same as the 9mm guns with a single recoil spring assembly. Case head support improved to the point that I'd call it fully supported. MUCH better than the previous generation guns and I noticed no more bulging brass on fired cases. Case head support was good enough that I wouldn't feel bad about reloading for .40 any more, as long as it was for a Gen4 gun. I really like the grip texture. Aggressive enough to give a good hold, even with sweaty hands, but not so aggressive that it wore out shirts. I never really carried the G22 concealed, so I don't know how it worked against bare skin, though. The bigger magazine release was also very nice and worked well. I didn't use any of the larger back straps and loved the smaller grip diameter. It made the gun fit my hand even better than the earlier generations guns, which I thought fit me well before. I think the geometry change with the connector in the trigger mechanism made the trigger crisper. A little heavier but had a much more crisp feel.

Perhaps the biggest change I noticed was the accuracy. I honestly don't know what Glock did, but all of the Gen4 G22s we had were laser accurate. One of the most accurate auto pistols I have ever shot. It seemed like all I had to do was point the gun in the general direction of the target and I would hit it. I was VERY impressed with the accuracy improvements.

I have never had a chance to shoot any other Gen4 guns. I'd like to try out a Gen4 G17 or G19 and see how they work. I know when they were first introduced, I had read about trouble with the dual recoil spring being too heavy for the 9mm guns and not working well. I also know that Glock introduced new RSAs for the 9mm guns. If they shoot as well as the .40 guns, I could see a Gen4 G17 or G19 replacing my current 3rd Gen G19 as my duty gun. I like everything else about the Gen4 guns and think I'd like one, if the troubles with the 9mm Gen4 guns are worked out. I'll get a chance to try one out sometime.

Bub

#26 ·
For about half the price of Talon Grips I've been using rubberized Traction Grips on my Kahr CM9 and a Gen 2 LCP now in my wife's possession (I moved up to an LCP2, which has a perfect grip texture for CC). Typical Traction Grip prices are around $11 shipped. I used nothing on my Gen 4 Glock 19 and can shoot the snot out of that gun!!

#27 ·
I bought my 1st ever Glock a few months ago (G17 Gen 4). I had always been a Glock hater due to the way they felt in my hand. Then, my gun shooting buddy bought a Gen 4 G17 and he told me to try it out. I WAS HOOKED, REEL ME IN! This is the Glock that was made to feel good in my hand while shooting it. I like the aggressive stippling combined with the finger grooves. And, get this, I hate finger grooved pistol handles. But, this one worked!
The only thing I dislike about my Glock is the price I had to pay for it, $525! :ack:

#33 ·
Have you ever considered "stippling" it? Its easy to do with a round tip soldering pencil after a little practice on some Kydex to get the "Feel" of it and that's what stippling is all about=Feel. Works great and is a super gripper. The one thing I don't like about my Gen 4 G19 is that few of the previous gen parts fit. Found that out the hard way after ordering a extended mag. release and then saw "will not fit Gen 4". :-( That got me to checking other parts and you must be real careful as to what you order for a Gen 4 if you want it to fit.

#37 ·
My opinion on Gen 4:
Pro: Love the grippy new surface
Con: zero need for "new" nested guide rods
Pro: Grip size selection
Con: While I like the matte look of the new finish, it's not durable
pro/con?: Larger mag release; I thought the original was fine--so I don't have a dog in that race. I will say that I have dropped a magazine accidently while shooting with my new G21 Gen4--that has never happend before in 28yrs of glock ownership. Don't know what I did, and it hasn't happended again. Possible my support palm pressed the release...I don't know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.