close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What happens when the BG chickens out?

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by emt1581, Mar 6, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I wasn't sure whether to put "freaks out" or "chickens out"...but anyways, we always talk about tactics and preparing to defend ourselves. But what happens if the BG poses enough of a threat to justify lethal force (pointing the gun at us, shooting others, etc.) but when they see you pull your gun they start freaking out, cry, piss their pants, etc...?

I mean obviously it's no longer a justifiable shoot. Let's also assume they drop their weapon.

As non-LEO we can't exactly cuff them or restrain them. I'm pretty sure they're free to run away if they want. Sure they are criminals or even possibly murderers, but again, what is our role at that point as a CCWer aside from being a good witness and calling the cops?

Again, we typically don't discuss this sort of thing and although I know it's an unlikely scenerio, how do you deal with such a curve ball?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

walt cowan likes this.
  2. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Jun 25, 2002
    Anniston, Alabama
    As a CCWer, you generally have NO role in detaining, apprehending, or arresting anyone whether or not they are a penny thief or a mass murderer. Your one and only ROLE is to defend yourself and your loved ones, and stop any threat to your life or safety. The situation may develop so that this role expands, but usually, if no shots are fired, it does not.

If you pull a gun and Charles Manson drops his machete and runs, your next move is to call the cops and report what happened.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    Samuel J Dunham likes this.

3. silvercoupe

silvercoupe

Dec 27, 2009
    Im a firm believer that if a bg had the frame of mind to pull a gun on me whether or not he drops it does not matter to me ill still put 3 shots center mass. the only thing that will stop me from shooting him is if they turn and run as you cant shoot them in the back. What happens to the next poor soul that is not armed? Your significant other maybe your kids I for one will not take that chance

F350 likes this.
  4. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Dec 21, 2009
    SC
    I'm with Silvercoupe...

5. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Jun 25, 2002
    Anniston, Alabama
    I understand that if you have a split second decision, when he has a gun and you have a gun, you begin shooting immediately and that there may be no time for it to register on you that he is retreating.

That said, do you actually mean that, if for some reason, the actual shooting HASN'T started, (ie, you go for cover and draw a gun) and he sees this, puts his gun down, and puts his hands up, you will still "put 3 shots" into his chest?

6. silvercoupe

silvercoupe

Dec 27, 2009
    Yes not a second thought.. I understand most may not agree with this but like I previously said he only put his down because i pulled out mine. What happens if he goes to the next person and they are unarmed.. the cops cant tell the BG put the gun down before he was shot or if it fell when he was shot.

7. badlands99

badlands99

Mar 19, 2009
    I wouldn't count on that.
    Haven't you ever seen Forensic Files?
    But it wouldn't take a forensics expert to look at where the bad guy fell, and where his gun is laying, and suspect something. Unless you just got lucky.

8. silvercoupe

silvercoupe

Dec 27, 2009
    if a bg is in your space and you had to draw on him i doubt the cops would be looking that close to see if he tried to go Opps sorry wrong house.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

It's generally not a good idea to commit ideas to permanency if such ideas can be used to show possible future intent.

'Drew

_Stormin_, larry_minn and janice6 like this.
  10. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Jun 25, 2002
    Anniston, Alabama
    Good luck with that. Personally I hope most do not agree with this.

On a side note, how do you feel about very close and forceful physical relations with incarcerated felons? If the idea doesn't appeal to you in the least, maybe you should rethink either your feelings for "self-defense" or your feelings about other men. If you ever need your gun, you may need to make these decisions in a hurry. :cool:

Buffalo11 and plp like this.
  11. SanityAssassin

SanityAssassin

Nov 12, 2009
    What happens on the internet does not stay on the internet. It's ok, we all know you are just joking around, but others, like a DA, might be confused.

12. SanityAssassin

SanityAssassin

Nov 12, 2009
    If BG is in my home, and it happens that he drops his gun while I have mine, I'd be very hesitant to let him leave except in police custody. He knows where I live, he knows I have a gun, he knows I could testify against him, so he might very well be inclined to pay me another visit.
    Not sure what the law says about me detaining someone in my own home though...

13. Hedo1

Hedo1

Oct 1, 2007
    SE Pennsylvania
    The first time I drew my gun in self defense the bad guy dropped his knife and ran. Almost before I had cleared the holster. I didn't chase him but walked slowly and carefully after him. The PD got him at the top of the stairs leading from the subway.

14. That is a real good way to spend a whole lot of time in prison with a bunch of other BGs.
    You don't know, and that is why we don't let folks base decisions like this on what might happen some other time. Heck, the BG might get religion, change his ways, and save 30 kids from burning to death at the local orphanage.
    Lots of folks doing time becasue they thought like that.

plp likes this.
  15. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    if i'm not gonna shoot him, i'll make him strip nekkid and walk off.

you asked.

refugeepj and FestusVentus like this.
  16. ncglock19

ncglock19

Jan 6, 2010
    Apex, NC
    This needs to be stickied somewhere. Great point.

joe

17. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    Legally speaking if somebody prsents a deadly force threat and you pull your gun but then they stop present a deadly force threat you have essentially made a citizens arrest. Hell, if you have to shoot him and he drops you have made a citizens arrest. If the guy is standing there tell him to lay on the ground.

Call 911 and tell them what you got.

mj9mm and janice6 like this.
  18. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

Feb 9, 2009
    Outer Space
    Are we talking inside your home? Or thug on the street, because I think in the eyes of the law in most states that's two different situations.

19. ijacek

ijacek

Jun 21, 2008
    FL
    I would be inclined to put that encounter into the "WIN" column. Once he has vacated the immediate area and is not posing a threat, call 911 and let them know, where and how long ago he went, what was he wearing, what he looked like etc..

Also keep your hands off of whatever he dropped. Chances are there will be a good quality prints on it, even if he was wearing gloves [highly doubt he was loading the magazine/wheel with his gloves on], and handled the knife/bat/whatever with gloves on at all times.

chopstick1fl and mj9mm like this.
  20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

Yes. Indeed it is a very good point. One of the fastest ways to go from "victim" to "convict".

:cool:

'Drew

plp and ranger1968 like this.