close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What happens when the Arctic thaws?

Discussion in 'Civil Liberties Issues' started by muscogee, Aug 3, 2013.

1. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

Interesting images...
    Could you provide links to the articles they were in? It would be good to see them in context, with the narrative/caption relating to them.

Thanks...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. series1811

series1811
    Expand Collapse
    Enforcerator.
    CLM

Actually, my (somewhat radical) views on how to deal with the drug problem is quite different than our current policy. Check some of my posting history and see.

But, I'm still waiting (and not just on this site) to have someone explain to me how we go about telling the two billion people in the developing nations, that we have decided that for the good of the planet, they are just going to have to forego trying to obtain the lifestyle we enjoy, for themselves and their families (again, for the good of the planet).

The inability of one single person to give a reasonable scenario where they agree to do that, is what makes me think that the whole MMGW movement, is really about making money, and little else (except to a few useful idiots, to use Lenin's phrase).

But, feel free to surprise me, and be the one who does that.

#303 series1811, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. Herzeleid

Herzeleid
    Expand Collapse
    Kein Mitleid

If I'm not mistaken, police/police unions have been known to get approved overtime in justification to "cracking down" on drugs. So yea, policy gives him/his job more resources. Much like those who try to bank off making people think man has a significant impact on the climate.

Same stuff, different topic is all, and I was pointing out the irony.

Anyways, carry one. If you're going to use certain talking points, make sure they don't contradict you in other circumstances.

4. Herzeleid

Herzeleid
    Expand Collapse
    Kein Mitleid

Last time I saw one of your posts, it was for drug prohibition. If you say it isn't, so be it.

You're preaching to the choir here. I wasn't trying to defend those who do not have sufficient evidence, and are clearly pushing an agenda with "man made global warming". I was simply pointing out a contradiction I noticed. If you now say you're not for drug prohibition, and your job isn't law enforcement of any type, then so be it.

5. series1811

series1811
    Expand Collapse
    Enforcerator.
    CLM

No, I advocate treating drug use as the mental health probelm it is, and drug trafficking, as the national security problem it is (don't worry, if you heard the details you would be even more upset with me).

You are trying to frame the drug problem the way you want it framed, legalization, or prohibition, and trying to pigeonhole me into one of your two approved choices. There are other alternatives.

And, why is it that with drug users, every subject has to somehow be related to that? Doesn't that worry you?

I like chocolate, but I don't try and bring it in to every other darn thread. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the police are as pre-occupied with drugs as users and addicts are. We're not.

#306 series1811, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  6. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I think that's a picture of one of those places where the ice melted and archeologists discovered a viking settlement.

Which kind of begs the question right?

How did those CO2 emitting Vikings manage to build their villages under all that ice? :wavey:

7. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

8. tenforme

tenforme
    Expand Collapse

9. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me
    Expand Collapse
    Semper Paratus

And Eric Holder faces no charges what's your point?
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

10. tenforme

tenforme
    Expand Collapse

Ha nice attempt at misdirection - not :upeyes:

My comment was directed at enquiring minds - if you can get past your bias, take a look at the link and read the story.

11. aplcr0331

aplcr0331
    Expand Collapse
    Fett Svensk

What happened to all the ice? IDK, what happens when water freezes? Oh....more ice...but but but....the arctic will be gone in 5 years. Or something....something....wait what?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/10294082/Global-warming-No-actually-were-cooling-claim-scientists.html

"There has been a 60 per cent increase in the amount of ocean covered with ice compared to this time last year, they equivalent of almost a million square miles.

In a rebound from 2012's record low an unbroken ice sheet more than half the size of Europe already stretches from the Canadian islands to Russia's northern shores, days before the annual re-freeze is even set to begin"

I read the article and some will try to explain this away. They're (environmentalist) using the same tactics they accuse the climate deniers as using. I like how when when we hit a minimum ice level like last year it's ZOMG TEH GLOBAL WARMIN! But when it's not something that supports AGW then it's just weather. Meh weather for me not for thee.

Empirical Science isn't a democracy. The majority consensus doesn't dictate the right answer, and I'm tired of the AGW movement trying to paint it that way. Somebody once created a pamphlet called 100 Authors Against Einstein, where they wanted to gather enough opinions to discredit Einstein. Einstein simply said "If I were wrong, one would be enough.

#312 aplcr0331, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  12. tenforme

tenforme
    Expand Collapse

The short answer to the OP's original question is that those who make the right bets/investments/decisions based on the available evidence with do quite well and those who don't may be in a world of hurt.

Personally - I am betting that global weather dislocations will increase in frequency and ferocity. Crop failure will increase, once cherished coastal locations may become worthless and maritime routing and costs will change beyond recognition.

But then this is only what I am seeing in the data.

13. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me
    Expand Collapse
    Semper Paratus

I predict if you invest with that strategy you will lose a lot of money

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

14. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

What happens if it gets better? Should we then celebrate?

Because famines, weather dislocations, crop failures etc have gone down in frequency in the latter half of the 20th century.

Our shoreline hasn't changed appreciably in centuries.

And our current weather patterns are well within natural cycles of variability.

Shouldn't we celebrate the current status quo Historically, warmer periods were times of plenty for human kind. :dunno:

#315 Big Bird, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  15. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen
    Expand Collapse
    Liberal Bane

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

16. series1811

series1811
    Expand Collapse
    Enforcerator.
    CLM

Here's the one I'm making plans for.

[​IMG]

17. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior
    Expand Collapse
    Am Yisrael Chai
    CLM

[​IMG]

18. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior
    Expand Collapse
    Am Yisrael Chai
    CLM

Close 1811, seriously though, it is more so about the transfer of wealth from the Middle Class, but you're getting there. :wavey:

19. OlliesRevenge

OlliesRevenge
    Expand Collapse