close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What happened to my desktop icons....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ArticSapper, Oct 6, 2009.

1. ArticSapper

ArticSapper

Sep 24, 2009
    The computer froze up/locked up/crashed pretty bad and I had to manually turn it off. This is Windows XP.

When it came back on none of my usual desktop icons were there. However, using the search feature shows that most of my documents and stuff is there. It appears that I have not lost any files, they just aren't on my desktop anymore.

How do I restore my desktop icons? Other than manually dragging icon all over hell and back.

Also, it appears that many of my settings or maybe even all of them have been reset. For example, the dam thing is asking me if I want to take a tour of windows. Like it was new or something.

TED

2. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

May 10, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Try right clicking in the desktop with the mouse, go to view, show desktop icons.

3. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Dec 23, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    Sounds like your user profile may have gotten corrupted. You may want to try System Restore as an easy first option.

Here's more advanced instructions for recovering from a corrupt user profile:
    http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2004/12/15/get-it-done-recover-a-damaged-windows-xp-user-profile/

4. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

Jan 19, 2009
    Arlington, VA