close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

what grips for a carry gun????

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by upnover97, Jan 23, 2010.

1. upnover97

upnover97 NRA member

Oct 7, 2007
    tulsa, ok
    i just acquired a delta elite and am planning on using it for a daily carry gun, i dont like rubber grips as clothing hangs on them and i dont want to modify them for the ambi safety being installed anyway, what grips work best for those of you who have replaced yours, i could care less about exotic wood or engraved, etc. the only tactical or carry oriented grips that i have found are the 10-8's and the mil-tac, the 10-8 look a little unfinished to me but i am leaning more towards function, and the rougher the texture the better, thanks for any input or experiences that you can offer.

2. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    You want function...let some Crimson Trace laser grips.

3. upnover97

upnover97 NRA member

Oct 7, 2007
    tulsa, ok
    no crimson trace here, i am left handed so the safety is right where the laser is, i decided on vz operator grips, thanks

4. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Feb 10, 2008
  5. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Installed two CTa couple of months ago for a lefty. You have to bob the right side pad a bit, but it works fine.

6. upnover97

upnover97 NRA member

Oct 7, 2007
    tulsa, ok
    tyanks for all of the replies, i ended up getting vz operators, they look to be a great grip and are sandable if too rough. i do like the golfball style mentioned but they seem a little pricey for what they are. thanks guys

7. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

Oct 16, 2001
    NC
    It may be just me but I really like thin grips for carry. The grips that come on a Les Baer TRS are just about perfect for carry...Thin,dont catch clothing,and dont rub my side raw from all day carry under a shirt.

8. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Apr 28, 2002
    Above ground
    That's a good point about the rubbing on your side. I like an aggressive checkering, or pattern on say Monkey grips, however I like them to be less aggressive, closer to smooth in between the grip screws. Monkey grips can be purchased that way others can have the checkering knocked down without much work.

At the top of this forum there is a links thread that has a bunch of different grip makers if you want to browse and get some ideas.

9. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    VZ grips are the pinnacle. I have an agressive set, and had to take them down a little before they were comfortable.

10. Combat_vet

Combat_vet

Mar 18, 2009
    Believe it or not, on all my carry 1911's I have the Pearce rubber grip panels and love them.

[​IMG]

11. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

Aug 4, 2009
    larry davidson's grips are fantastic imho. very grippy and beautiful.

12. JK-linux

JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    EB checkered wood or Pierce checkered rubber for me. Definitely no finger grooves, wrap arounds, or laser grips. The stock Colt checkered wood grips are fine too.

13. myanof

myanof

Dec 2, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    I had a set of Pearce grips on a SA Champion and loved them so I put a set on my Defender. They are very practical for carry.

[​IMG]