close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What free float rail to use ..

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Midasknight, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Midasknight

Midasknight

Mar 24, 2011
    Oregon

2. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Standard length for handguards on a carbine model is 7".

3. Leper

Leper

Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  4. Midasknight

Midasknight

Mar 24, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks people. So an 7" free-float rail or maybe 9" free-float then ? I've seen many makes ..... what's your favorite ?

5. I love Daniel Defense rails, especially the 12 inch lite and RISII free float rails. Well worth the money.

I highly recommend this low profile clamp on gas block from Daniel Defense. It fits under every rail and doesn't require any modifiactions to the barrel and still holds rock solid on your barrel. Just clamp it on your barrel, align everything nicely and done, you don't even need to put loctite on clamp on/cross bolt designs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/24...andard-barrel-750-inside-diameter-steel-matte

6. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I love my Daniel Defense RIS II rail, but the install isn't for newbies. You HAVE to have a proper bench setup, vice, upper receiver block and a torque wrench.

If you want simple, look at the Daniel Defense Omega rail - it drops into the standard D-ring assembly, then bolts together. It is a free float rail, and will work with either an A-frame (need the 7" on a carbine) or a low profile gas block (go as long as you want).

If you go with a low profile block, either send it off to be pinned in place, or get a set-screw type gas block and have the barrel dimpled under one of the screws. This will keep the gas block from walking loose over time.

7. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    I like the VTAC/Troy Alpha rail a lot better than anything DD puts out. For me, the round tube is a lot more comfortable and it also allows you to add rail sections where you want instead of the clunky quad rail with DD. The alpha has a full length rail on top and comes with 3 rail sections that you can place in any of the slots.

I think I paid $130 for mine, I got the 13" version and it's perfect for the way I shoot. I have a DD fixed front sight behind an X300, IWC handstop at 6 o clock, and a VTAC rail less sling mount in one of the slots.

Install is very easy, mounts up to stock barrel nut and is rock solid. I used a MI lo pro gas block if i remember right. DD doesn't really offer anything crazy that justified paying over double, especially with the ergonomics of the alpha.

http://www.skdtac.com/VTAC-Extreme-BattleRail-13-p/vkg.209.htm

8. JBUS

JBUS I'mHellaJelly!

Jun 28, 2011
    NorCal
  9. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    That VLTOR is heavy as are the cut-out models offered by various companies. I prefer light tube like rails. I also like 12" or 13" rails. Take a dremel to the FSP and throw a Troy Alpha on there.

10. durian00

durian00

Jul 6, 2007
    Virginia
    Agree. Unless you absolutely have to have a quad rail, Troy, Samson or Daniel Defense tubular rails are lighter.

11. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    The slick tubes only really work for me on A) longer guns (with longer tubes) or B) guns where you're mounting nothing more than a front sight and MAYBE a foregrip. A short tube gets very lumpy when mounting a front sight, light, and foregrip in a limited amount of space.

Plus, a DD quad rail barely weighs more than a slick tube when you look at the weight of the DD Lite barrel nut, and the weight of the add-on rail sections for the slick tubes.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    That's why you go to IWC and skip the add-on rails.

13. durian00

durian00

Jul 6, 2007
    Virginia
    Aside from weight, slick/tubular rails are less expensive if cost is an issue. I have a DD RIS Ii and an Omega 9" and both are light for sure and they're both $280+.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I do like the feel of 12 inches of RIS II though.

15. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I love my Mk. 18 RIS II rail. I know I am eventually going to wind up with a rail on my 16" mid, just not sure what I want to go with. Right now it's between the M4 RIS II and a Centurion.

16. OMDonald

OMDonald

Dec 6, 2012
  17. Midasknight

Midasknight

Mar 24, 2011
    Oregon
    Very good suggestions here ... Tube rail looks promising. I want the rail front to be flush with the front of the gas block. Just don't know if that's 7" 9" 10" ? 16" barrel ....

18. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    I have a 13" rail on a 16" carbine length rifle. I would say the 11" rail would be closest to flush with the gas block.