What exactly is the .25 trigger job?

Discussion in 'Valuable Info' started by MilitantBEEMER, Jun 5, 2009.

1. What if you use a cotton wheel and jewelers rouge? I cant see that taking off enough metal to harm the part, but would surely polish the piece in a jiffy...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I found your choice of this word, in your context, very interesting.
    Sonnytoo

3. I think the guy may have been using Mothers metal polish - I used this stuff on a set of polished aluminum wheels back in the day:

[​IMG]

4. that was new info

5. Any time I think one of my Glock's triggers feel rough, long, or spongy, I borrow a Springfield XD or XDM and press/squeeze/pull the trigger. Then I go back to shooting my Glock and feel very happy about my brand allegiance.

6. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

The XDm is far better imho than a factory glock trigger.

7. Just finished doing my first trigger job, on my new Gen3 G17. Smoothed out greatly,and much easier than I thought. I had never taken any of my Glocks apart like that before, turned out to be super easy.

I just used some Brasso Multipurpose polish and the edge of a towel. No Dremels,just hand power. Took about an hour, about 3-4 minutes per contact point.

Now the only issue is I know how easy they are to tear apart, I'm already plotting what parts to purchase! :whistling:

8. JJay03

JJay03 NRA Member

Thats whats great about a glock so easy to take apart and clean up and polish. I tried some aftermarket parts and ended up keeping mine stock I didnt like how the aftermarket disconnectors changed the pull.

9. Hoonz

And I may ask, how to you get to fire more than one shot with a single trigger pull :) ?

My brother just returned from LE training, and was trying to describe to me the "double tap", where you don't let the trigger completely reset but it will still fire, but seems to work best on his gun which has a modified 8.5lb trigger pull.

I have a 3.5lb trigger on mine from lonewolf; although I can fire fast, I can't doubletap it.

I'm going to try the nail file method, see if I can get it smoother, doesn't feel too great now despite the gentler pull recently added.

#69 Hoonz, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
  10. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur
    Millennium Member CLM

It's just a matter of rounding off the wrong edges by 'over polishing'.....

I suspect that he's talking about 'using the reset' to simply fire two shots quickly vs allowing the trigger to move all the way forward and then pulling it all the way back to fire the next shot (like a double action). Read my blog for reset info....

Good luck!

11. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

I highly recomend you do not to touch your trigger group with a nail file

#71 Bowtie, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  12. +1
    I polish everything that ever needs polishing with the cotton polishing wheels and plenty of rouge. Lots of revolutions create a much smoother surface.

I think this is actually what people are referring to when they speak of using a Dremel tool to do polishing work.

Unfortunately, many people just ASSUME you are talking about using grinding stones in your Dremel to polish. Who the hell would do that? To those who love to talk down to those of us who use Dremel tools, thank you for insinuating that we are stupid enough to grind away on sheet metal with a 100 grit grinding stone. :tongueout:

13. Doing it with a Dremel isn't dangerous unless you're an idiot.You use the cotton polishing wheels.I have done all mine and it usually reduces the trigger pull by .5 lbs but it makes it alot smoother.

14. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

Its because it is possible to screw a connector up with just a dremel and pollish. Taking that felt wheel to an edge in the wrong place can slightly change an angle at thats all it takes to go FA. MANY have done it.

I'm not saying I dont do it because I do and have done many for my self as well as many other.

To make a blanket statement that it CANT happen with just a felt wheel and some rouge is just plain ignorant.

15. ptmccain

Platinum Member

Maybe this video has been posted here, but I found this very helpful for doing the .25 cent trigger job, and it is in 1080 HD.

Link to video.

16. I guess I should have said is if you can follow instruction,you couldn't do damage.You leave a right angle a right angle.

17. Thanks...real handy info. Can anyone recommend someone who is adept at this to perform this for a decent price?

18. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I looked at the web site very carefully, and I failed to see any description of what is in the tube and what is it used for.

19. I had heard of this trigger job sometime ago, and when I saw the video I did the work (with a dremmel) on one of my glocks. I didn't feel much change in either the trigger weight or how smooth it is.
    In my opinion, if you want a smoother trigger (without making it lighter), I would recommend a titanium firing pin satefy plunger (glockstore have them). That will make your trigger A LOT more smoother while keeping the same weight.

20. I got burned in a gun deal not long ago. The used Glock 17 I purchased had one of these famous trigger jobs done to it and the previous owner didn't know what he was doing. The first time I shot it, I barely touched the trigger and it went off. WAY too light. I took it apart to check it out and found all the "polishing" that had been done. I wasn't told that there had been any work done to it.

I had to replace all the parts that had been "polished" before it would work to my satisfaction.

Two morals of the story.

Don't mess with it if you don't know what you are doing! Buyer Beware!