close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What exactly are reloads?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by malleable, Aug 23, 2010.

1. malleable

malleable

Dec 29, 2009
    A friend of mine went to a local range after rolling his own with new brass and was denied the use of it as they have a "no reloads" policy. I understand there safety concerns, semantics, etc. but I'm curious do you consider a reload non factory ammo or twice + used brass, or ?

2. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Anything that is not factory produced.

3. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

So basically, they want people to buy their overpriced range ammo? I would find another place to shoot if I were him.

4. BWT

BWT

Apr 27, 2010
    USA
    I could see that if you were renting one of their firearms, but a large portion of people that frequent the range are reloaders.

5. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    My reloading room is an ammunition factory. I just dont have as many employees on the payroll.

6. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    Hoser, I like your attitude!

One of the local Bass Pro Shops here has a no reloads policy which I am sure is due to liability risks. Several independent gun ranges also have the same policy, which is probably less of the liability risk and more of the "buy my ammo" philosophy. Yet another range will allow reloads but at a 50% increased range time fee, again under the "buy my ammo" mentality. Needless-to-say, I do not use those facilities.

I am a regular at the local county gun range. They do not have such a policy, and all the staff members know I reload.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  7. TH3180

TH3180

Jul 22, 2010
    I know a few guys that just keep the factory ammo boxes and re-use them. To the range it looks like they are using factory ammo.

8. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    Around here the only restriction I have seen is our ammo for our rental gun.

Oh yea one range has a CMJ only policy.

9. Right On

10. W4CNG

W4CNG

Sep 19, 2002
    In the Gun Room
    I have been reloading ammo since before most ranges in my area have been in business. No squibs, No FTF, and all went down range. I do not discuss the ammo I am about to shoot at my range as they also have seen me shoot there many times with my annual membership and weekly IDPA matches. That said, I do not have issues with my reloaded ammo from my Twin Dillon SDB's.

11. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    It helps if you do your loading all in brass of the same headstamp. Bonus points if the headstamp matches the box you put the ammo in.

OTOH, I've been repackaging ammo (both factory and now my own loads) in IMI boxes (i.e. boxes from 2 cases of IMI ammo I bought long ago) because their 9mm boxes are so much more compact than typical factory boxes, it makes the ammo pack more efficiently.

12. ColdShot

ColdShot

Jul 15, 2010
    Bartlett,TN
    ALWAYS........

Ranges that have bullet rules like No Lead,No Steel or No Reloads
    can kiss my butt....Reloading and testing at the range goes hand
    in hand with the gun hobby/sport

13. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    Trouble is, at that sort of range, you probably can't setup your chronograph.

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Exactly. I've been to 1 indoor range w/ a policy like this, and this is exactly how I got around it.

Now, with some other options for shooting, I will not patronize that range anymore. That's a ridiculous policy.

IGF

15. Orlando Eric

Orlando Eric

Aug 6, 2000
    Florida
    My favorite... "For insurance reasons." BULL! It is so they can sell their range ammo for 200% WWB prices. I'd like to see MAgtech and some of these range ammo factories ISO 9000 certificates

16. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    :thumbsup:

17. ustate

ustate NRA Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    What the range doesn't know won't hurt them. Unless you tell them you're using reloads they won't know. Makes me glad I can just run up to the mountains nearby and don't have to worry about ranges.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  18. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL

Also keep two boxes of factory ammo in your shooting bag. If they should ask you too show them your ammo that is what you pull out. Also don’t use ammo that they do not want you too use. That can tear up there range.

19. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    This is the correct answer. It has little to do with safety. SOme ranges will also ban Wolf ammo, it's factroy, but the steel case is a PITA for them to deal w/ as it has little to no recycle value. Get some factory boxes & put your reloads in them & go shoot. BTW, do NOT buy reloaded ammo form the gunshow guys. More bad than good there I'm afraid. Stick w/ large commercial firms that have insurance, like GeorgiaArms, BlackHills, etc.

20. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Have a big enough gun bag that you can "hide" the boxes containing your reloads.... buy two boxes of factory stuff that you have sitting on top that you can whip out if they ask to see what you're shooting.