close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What does the law tell citizens to do during a confiscation?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by emt1581, Jan 25, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Now most of us know about the gun confiscations that took place during Katrina. Prior to that, however, there were laws on the books that outlawed such practices weren't there?

In any case, there were laws passed afterwards that made it illegal to confiscate gun again in the face of a SHTF situation right?

My question is, what does the law tell citizens to do if anyone in LE/Gov. tries to do it again?

I only ask because while it might be clearly written that we should never have our guns taken away and especially when we need them most...I can't say I've ever read anything on what the citizen is allowed to do to protect him/her-self from such attempts? If nothing is written in terms of what a citizen may do....and we're supposed to rely on the system/courts/etc. after the dust settles...what says we make it that far since we were disarmed??

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    Who cares? In a SHTF situation a true one you'd be a total fool to give up your weps to LE/Mil, I will not. What should you do? Not be where this kind of nonsense will happen(urban area), if you are unlucky enough to be stuck in a city and this is going on you have 2 choices.1)be a good little law abiding citizen and leave you and yours naked to the riff raff that prey on the unarmed, 2) Don't obey the law and give away your means of SD and no longer have good little boy status. Hmmmm, which to choose....

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    That was a good first reply. It didn't really answer how you would disobey...but that's ok. I didn't really ask about it either.

I think all non-sheeple gun owners would hold on to their guns no matter the cost in such a situation...at least I would hope so!

But for the purposes of this thread, you can't escape the door to door confiscations. Mr. confiscator knocks on your door and instructs everyone inside to hand over their guns....what does the law say to do at this point?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

4. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    Well frankly at that point there's going to be some dead folks at my address, either the confiscators or me. I'll not give up my means of SD, period. Sure you could hide some of your stuff elsewhere but that's just as good as giving it up if it's not there when you need it, the only other means is by force IMO.

5. snair

snair

Nov 20, 2009
    Salt Lake
    i wont give them up and honestly if im told to go take them i will be a ****ty searcher(unless you are a scroat looking criminal).

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods

But does the law advise on this either way? That is, in terms of the use of lethal force....does it specifically say ANYWHERE that LE/Gov. may be fired upon if they attempt to confiscate?

Personally, I agree with you. And I would do the same thing. And yes, I would happily die, if need be, in the process.

However, I have a VERY hard time believing the law gives the citizen permission to use lethal force on LE/Gov. no matter the circumstance.

Why does the law even matter...it's a SHTF/true survival situation right? Well unless it's a TEOTWAWKI situation, the dust will settle and deaths of LE/Gov. will be investigated....sooner or later someone is going to find out what you did. I'm just curious if the law would support the citizen or the LE/Gov.?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Not sure if you are in LE at some level or not, but I'd think if you KNEW it was open season on you if you followed an unlawful order...you might be a little reluctant to comply. At least I'd hope so. I know I'd rather tell my boss to go screw herself rather than be fired upon for doing something I'm not legally allowed to do in the first place.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

8. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    I don't think it's been addressed that deeply yet.

9. snair

snair

Nov 20, 2009
    Salt Lake
    15 plus years and i will not go to homes and take guns unless i know a ****bag lives there

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods

I don't think so either but with the endless laws on the books it might be slipped in somewhere.

I'm thinking the citizen might try posting the page with the law forbidding confiscation on their door along with a warning to anyone trying it.. :dunno:

I have no clue though....which is why I'm askin.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

11. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    If only all LE felt this way, there would be no need to even discuss such an issue.

Thanks! :wavey:

-Emt1581

12. snair

snair

Nov 20, 2009
    Salt Lake
    there are more than say so. now if someone shoots at us it will change

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I don't understand.

-Emt1581

14. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    There isn't going to be a law on the books to instruct you how to act legally in the face of illegal actions by the government. They don't think that way. They assume they're the good guys, and YOU are the one acting illegally.

If you find yourself in a similar hypothetical situation, don't worry. Hypothetical situations are merely a fantasy and shouldn't be confused with reality, a whole different topic.

15. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    ...in other words I'm dreaming if I think the gov. is going to advise me to use lethal force or even disobey law enforcement?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

16. snair

snair

Nov 20, 2009
    Salt Lake
    there are i believe alot of cops who have no desire in taking law abiding citizens weapons that will be used to protect that individuals family. many i believe would be reluctant to say they will/ may fail to follow orders given to them. no one i know wants to take weapons away but if they are shot at in a shtf situation they will without a doubt end the threat no matter who shot at them

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Ok, I understand what you're saying. But it does sound like a moot point, unless people are shooting at LE in the streets and not neccessarily waiting for them to carry out the confiscation....is that what you mean?

In my book that goes along with just taking shots at LE for the fun of it because it's chaos all around. Sort of like what happened in NOLA during Katrina.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

18. KaTooM

KaTooM

May 28, 2004
    SoCal
    Good post.

19. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep Tackleberry

Mar 1, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I would tell them they are not taking anything of mine, period. They can leave peacefully with nothing of mine. I hope to avoid any situation like this but I will say you have the right to defend yourself from unlawful arrest or seizure.

And, as a cop myself, I will never ask another to give up their guns. Ever.

20. jordanmills

jordanmills

Mar 7, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Actually, Texas law addresses it. You can use force to resist excessive force used in effecting an arrest (but not to resist an arrest, even if its' improper or unlawful), including lethal force. Now actually proving it and not becoming bubba's new girlfriend is a completely different manner. But it is addressed in law. Personally I wouldn't try it.

Texas penal code 9.31(c):
    Oh and my answer to the actual question: "Sorry officer, someone already stole them."