close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What does NTB really mean?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Teecher45, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Teecher45

Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    I think I have seen it referenced that the proper way to shoot an AR with a carry handle is nose to bolt (NTB), but what does that really mean. Can someone tell me?
    Thanks...

2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    It's actually Nose To Charging Handle.

For 40 years, the way the military has taught the M16 to be fired, to ensure the shooter has the same sight picture, every single time.

Not everyone can do it, especially shorter troops with the A2 stock, but it enforces not having a wandering head on the stock and solid iron sight picture. With an ACOG it's also fairly necessary due to the short eye relief.

3. Teecher45

Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    Duh, yeah. Don't know how I got NTB.
    But, does that mean I (right handed shooter) stick the left side of the charging handle into my right nostril?
    Or something else?

4. Tarant

Tarant

Jan 15, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I dont shoot that way too much but when i do i place the tip of my nose to the left side of the charge handle. Iam not sure it matters much as long as you do it the same everytime.

Personally it drives me nuts to be that close to the charge handle dont know why, so i placed a piece of velcro to my stock a little farther back and i can get the same sight picture everytime when it touches my cheek

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Was taught to shoot nose to handle many years ago. Always shot Expert
    doing that. I continue to shoot NTH when using iron sights

6. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Whatever works for you is how you should shoot.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  7. Teecher45

Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    Okay, thanks for the help. But, does it mean I (right handed shooter) stick the left side of the charging handle into my right nostril? Tip of nose? Middles of nose? Or something else?

8. steve1988

steve1988

Feb 5, 2009
    Ft. Meade, MD
    If you use this method, then you would touch the tip of your nose to the back of the left side of the charging handle. The point of this is to have your aiming eye in the same position relative to the sights every time. It doesn't actually matter where your eye is, as long as you can consistently place it. The charging handle touching the nose is just an easy reference point.

9. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    What Steve said.

If you've got half a charging handle in the nostril itself, you're doing it wrong.

10. .50 cal

.50 cal

Jan 4, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I wonder how well this method will work with a 308 pistol, I still think the chin stock is the best tactical accessory

11. surf

surf

Jul 7, 2010
    It was the easiest way to train the widest array of 18 year olds to learn consistency with their shooting and produce great results.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    The chin stock is the gayest thing I have seen in years!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  13. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    Ha! Yaeh, that thing is definitely a bad idea no matter how you look at it.:shocked:

I like NTCH for shooting irons, but it is difficult for me to shoot that way using the modern techniques I've learned in various training classes.

If I square up to the target and use a mostly isosceles stance, my cheek weld is on the stock. I run my stock (M4 waffle, MOE or SOPMOD) on the first click out on a 4 position Colt receiver extension. That puts my nose about 2 1/2-3" from the charging handle. Not a problem with a red dot.

The stock in that position gives me just enough LOP to have a comfortable wrist position while shooting, the stock is far enough out for a tight high port and I can pull the stock into my bicep to shoot rollover prone.

If I shoot irons or run an ACOG, I have to get slightly bladed to the target and/or fully collapse the stock to get my nose up to the charging handle.

It's definitely a good way to shoot, but not the only way.

14. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    I like NTCH when making precise/distance shots. So if I'm going to take my time and put that hole in the paper right where I want it, it's NTCH. Often this is prone, or at least seated or maybe kneeling. Something with some kind of support vs just standing offhand. I zero with NTCH.

However, if I am doing a "run 'n gun" closer range defensive type thing where I am standing and moving, I do as samuse stated above. I keep my head more upright (bringing the rifle to my face moreso than sticking my neck out and dropping my face onto the rifle) and end up farther back from the CH.

As my primary carbine has a variable power (1-4x) scope with pretty generous eye relief (for a scope) I have no problem using either/or of those methods, situation dependent.

It applies just as well with irons. The larger (0-200) aperture for a more head-up style of shooting, or NTCH and flip to the smaller aperture on the rear sight when looking for more precision.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  15. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Behind the Green door
    NTB nuts to buttz... Not really a shooting......your weapon thing..

16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    :rofl:

Oh man, I really appreciated the healthy chuckle that elicited this morning. :)

I can see & hear this being delivered to some puzzled shooter in a deadpan, dry manner, too. BTDT. ;)