close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Does A Second Best Arsenal Look Like...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ArrowJ, Dec 20, 2012.

1. ArrowJ

ArrowJ
    Expand Collapse

I am just not in a financial position that allows me to go out and grab up a black gun, or even to buy one on credit. It was actually part of my five year plan to buy one in 2014.

Assuming the government removes that option, what is the next best thing? I still want to keep my family safe, but also I wanted to own one of these weapons for the reasons the second amendment was written. If the United States were to have a civil war what should I own? A milsurp semi auto rifle of some kind without the dangerous pistol grip and rail system?

I plan on buying a Glock 31 within a few months assuming I can still find one by then. I may also pick up a 10/22 TD, but if the 25 round magazines are no longer available I may skip that as well.

It is all so frustrating. It is so hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that there are people that honestly believe an AWB will prevent further mass shootings. I know there are a lot of folks that think this will blow over with little consequence, but I am just not that optimistic. Anyway, what does a "second best" arsenal look like?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando
    Expand Collapse
    Long Range Guru

3. ArrowJ

ArrowJ
    Expand Collapse

I am assuming those will be taken too, but it is a possibility.

4. bigmoney890

bigmoney890
    Expand Collapse

Go ahead and buy a lower receiver now, so you'll be covered in the event that a ban is passed.

5. ArrowJ

ArrowJ
    Expand Collapse

What would that cost? I have to spend quite a chunk in the coming months on a pistol, reloading equipment, and components. I just do not know if I can swing it.

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

That won't help. If it's not 100% complete before the ban then the build must comply with the new requirements. Of course we aren't sure EXACTLY what the new requirements are yet. It's quite possible that things will be far more Draconian than the last AWB.

#6 cowboy1964, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  7. GunLoverLiberty

GunLoverLiberty
    Expand Collapse

I fail to see how an AWB would even effect the plain AR platform.

After all. It's a Semi-Auto gun. Not an Automatic.

The last AWB only applied to M16 and other full autos correct?

Whats all this scare about then? Wouldn't it be better to use the term SAWB?

8. cesaros

cesaros
    Expand Collapse

There isn't a set definition of what qualifies as an AW...Even in the military we don't use Assault Rifles...its just a "selector fired rifle"...semi/burst, no automatic firing.

So whoever writes a new AWB could define an assault weapon as whatever they want.

#8 cesaros, Dec 20, 2012
  9. GunLoverLiberty

GunLoverLiberty
    Expand Collapse

In principal tho, an AR "style" is the same type of gun as granpappys old varmint plinker.

I don't see how gubmen't is going to ban a gun simply based on how it looks. & if they do. we can still buy rifles that fire the same cartridge.

I've been reading some scare tactics on this site & I've got to admit that I don't believe it.

The gun industry is far to big for this to have any real effect and since the AR is probably the most popular platform in America, how are they suddenly going to make them disappear?

#9 GunLoverLiberty, Dec 20, 2012
  10. wvtarheel

wvtarheel
    Expand Collapse

11. WinterWizard

WinterWizard
    Expand Collapse

The AWB from 1994-2004 didn't convince you? Nor the speech that Obama just gave in which he gave VP Biden till the end of January to come up with a gun control agenda that he has promised to pursue?

Don't be so naive, bro.

12. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Has to pass the House. Probably not going to happen with the Republican majorities we have now. Maybe it will. But I'm saying probably not.

The other side of this debate hasn't even been considered nor have pro-gun folks voiced their opinion on the national stage. The last time the Dims did this they lost their majorities in both houses in landslide elections. There are still quite a few of them that vividly remember the political price they paid for such foolishness. Clearly they have us on our heels now and have some momentum. But that doesn't mean our side is done.

The Dims will get some religion soon--when the polls begin to reflect the unpopularity of what they are trying to do and the gun lobby kicks in. Maybe its different this time. Maybe not. The Stockton School yard massacre in 1989 gave impetus to the original AWB. But the Dims controlled the both houses of Congress back then and it just BARELY passed AND it took them 4 years to get it done!

As I said--they still remember their loss of both houses in the elections that followed. Pro-gun forces are credited with those victories. Anyone willing to bet the Democrats from Red states are going to imperil their seats and current majorities over this?

This things not over yet by a long shot. But instead of stupid panic buying we need to get out and get busy. Writing letters to Congressmen etc.

#12 Big Bird, Dec 20, 2012
  13. BobbyT

BobbyT
    Expand Collapse

Don't think smaller, think bigger.

AR-10
    FN-FAL
    M14 (M1A)
    G3 (PTR-91)

14. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

Those will also likely face a ban if passed. I like the idea from a slightly different angle. If they can't get a ban passed but do get a mag limit ban passed them a smaller number of larger bullets would be a way to go.

15. DeLo

DeLo
    Expand Collapse

Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. The earth will shake and your enemies brains will vaporize.

16. TedG

TedG
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel USA

A good defensive shotgun. Semi or pump is fine. Winchester, Mossberg, or Remington. Inexpensive and good out to 100 yards with slugs. This is a very inexpensive, and efficient alternative.

17. K. Foster

K. Foster
    Expand Collapse

You are way over thinking this. There’s not going to be a civil war. If you want a semi-auto rifle, buy a Ruger 10/22 and a bunch of ammo.

18. Jfduece

Jfduece
    Expand Collapse

You are confusing "assault rifle" with "assault weapon". An assault weapon is politically defined as whatever the gov't deisres. An assault rifle is as you described.

19. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

Well if you have no funds sounds like you SOL! Cause the prices will be going stupid high! So your never going to have enough. Get a good Rem 870 and call it good atleast you have something to protect yourself!:whistling:

20. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I'd put the AR lower ahead of reloading compnents. They did cost under $150 for plenty of good ones, but they may have just gone way up.