close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What do you use to clean your progressive press?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Praetorian27, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Praetorian27

Praetorian27 NRA Life Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I bought a used Dillon Square Deal B on ebay, and it's filthy dirty. I want to get it all clean before I use it but didn't know if some cleaning products would be harmful.

Any advice?

2. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    It would be hard to find anything that would actually hurt it. I'd just scrub it with some soup and water and a good scrub brush.

You can always send it to Dillon for an overhaul if you want. Might be worth the $50 depending on how much you paid for it.

Congrats on the press.

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Other then the inner working of the powder measure. WD40.

4. Praetorian27

Jan 25, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Thanks guys. Do you think BrakeClean would be bad? I'm not worried that it would be harmful for the metal...I was thinking of residue left over mixing with the powder or getting on the primers. Seems like potential for trouble. Maybe I'm just an idiot though!

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Break Clean can damage some plastics. I wouldn't use it. Also, wd 40 will not leave a residue if you wipe it well afterwards. Clean inside the primer tubes with a small patch and some bore cleaner.

6. Praetorian27

Jan 25, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Dillon does overhauls? I checked their website and didn't see anything. I'll try giving them a call.

7. bdhawk

bdhawk

Mar 18, 2000
    disassemble and clean with simple green and an old toothbrush. lube and reassemble.

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I will say if it's actual dirt I would use simple green to start. But I would finish with WD 40. It repels water and will get grease out pretty nicely.

9. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA

DO NOT USE REGULAR SIMPLE GREEN! It is highly corrosive to aluminum alloys which alot of the SDB is made of. You can use AVIATION SIMPLE GREEN, which is actually clear in color and aluminum safe.
    Personally I would use Orange glow citrus based cleaner as it does as good a job as Simple green, is readily available and it works I know cause I have tried it. Take an old rag of two to remove heavy built up dirt and grease first.

10. Praetorian27

Jan 25, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for the cleaner tips guys...just what I was looking for!

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I didn't know that. Great to know.

12. bdhawk

bdhawk

Mar 18, 2000
    i did not know that. after 22 years of cleaning my square deal b with simple green, i am surprised it has not fell apart or something. just yesterday i loaded 'bout 80 rounds of .40 S&W on it without incident. hummmm...

13. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

It's a time release formula... your time's about up.

Jack

14. bdhawk

bdhawk

Mar 18, 2000
    ok, next time i clean it i will put it in the dishwasher with my glocks.:supergrin:

15. Boxerglocker

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum

If you are aware of what can happen, and use it as instructed... chances are you will be ok, rinse very, very thoroughly. My personal experience with the product with airplanes and private owners directs me to stay away when dealing with aluminum. As in all cases YMMV.

16. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    +1 Use what ever cleaning/lube product you would normally use on a gun.

17. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country

Simple Green makes a specific product for use in Aviation that is safe on aluminum. http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_products_extreme.php

I use lots of SG; I just don't use it on aluminum. Sort of like avoiding amonia based products on brass.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  18. Boxerglocker

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    stated that in my first post. I get it in 5 gallon jugs for washing planes.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  19. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Nov 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I use BrakeClean (green can) on metal parts when I am doing a good cleaning. Then I hit the parts with my air compressor to make sure all of the brakeclean has evaporated off of the parts. No harm done so far. Just make sure you lubricate the press as the manual states after using that stuff.