close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What do you think?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by GeorgiaRedfish, Dec 7, 2010.

1. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    There is a guy who had a 1911 built by a Gun smith in 1999, using Essex Frame and Colt Slide, with all wilson combat parts. He said 2k rds though it, and he said it is a flawless shooter. Should I be worried about this gun? Comes with a Wilson 47d mag, and i am trading my glock 19 with 4 mags, and 100 bucks for it. Opinions?

I will be meeting him some day soon, he said lock up is tight. What should I look for?

Pic:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help, the guy is on this sight.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. BWT

BWT

Apr 27, 2010
    USA
    IMHO I would try and meet the guy at a range and shoot a box or two thru it. If he balks at that plan: walk away. If it shoots great and u like it, go for it; but it's hard to beat a Glock

3. GeorgiaRedfish

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    Actually its quite easy to beat a glock for me, at least they are second to 1911s. I still love my 19, but add those two 1's and I'm in heaven.:supergrin:

4. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    A G19 w/4 mags and $100? Seriously? Either grab it and run, or BEWARE!

5. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    I'd go for it if I liked how it shoots.

6. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    I would need to know who the smith was and do a little research on him.

7. GeorgiaRedfish

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    Well he agreed to go to a free range, so thats what I am going to do. But some HP's meet and see how it goes.

8. GeorgiaRedfish

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    Do you think I should sell my glock and take the extra money and buy a Springer GI for 400 and use the money to upgrade it? Thanks guys

9. GeorgeD

GeorgeD

Dec 2, 2010
    New York
    Just as price comparison, I've seen 2 1911 builds on essex frames for around $300, one with a colt slide. This was at my local gun shop. Essex frames are what they are. Not great, not terrible. I would shoot it if you have the opportunity.

Thanks,
    George

10. 1006

Aug 12, 2007
    Newnan, Georgia
    Well, I will take a chance and give my opinion; I would not use an Essex frame for anything other than a throw away gun, a 22 conversion, or to learn some gunsmithing skills.

You can certainly dissagree with my thoughts on qallity, but there is a reason that they are cheaper than caspian.

I would talk to a local, well respected gunsmith first.

Good Shooting