close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What do you think of 44 special for SD?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Manzoli7, May 27, 2011.

1. Manzoli7

Manzoli7

Apr 6, 2010
    Do you think a 44 special snub Taurus or Charter arms is better for self defense stopping power than a Taurus snub 38 Special. I have read that 38 has more stopping power because more reaserch has been put into modern hollow points for it. However hollow points can clog and the 44 special bullet is wider and heavier. Have you ever carried a snub 44 special for SD?

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Carried a Charter Bulldog .44 for a while long ago, didn't care for it. The Gold Dot is promising in that caliber, but don't know of any shootings with it; Winchester apparently reworked their Silvertip .44 Special a few years ago and midwestern handgun hunters I know have told me it performs well on large whitetails, which is a good indication that it'll work on bipeds.

Personally, I'm comfortable with 135 grain Gold Dot +P in a J-frame .38 Special for backup, but your mileage may vary.

best,
    Mas

3. Manzoli7

Manzoli7

Apr 6, 2010