What do you remember about the 1994 ban?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by sjfrellc, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Buying pistols and getting stupid 10 round mags instead of the standard capacity that the pistol was designed for.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The G19 was not as ridiculous as seeing full sized guns like the G17 and Beretta 92FS with piddly 10 rounders which were either blocked off or single column.

Why even bother with those guns if you are limited to the same capacity as a smaller or lighter gun?

3. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED!
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem
    2. Show Me Glockers

I remember dealers here stripping full capacity magazine from guns that people brought in to sell. Glock 17's sold without magazines for new gun prices, and magazines being 80 bucks a pop for well used mags. Those could be found right up until the ban sunset.

I remember the GI AR magazines and M14 magazines being fairly plentiful and being at just about any gun show. I don't recall the AR magazines being much above 15-20 bucks. The M14 magazines were 50 to 60.

I remember magazines for the larger Glock pistols being well over 100 bucks. Mostly around 150 or so.

I remember neutered AR rifles being sold. At the time Bushmaster was still shipping ever rifle with 30 round magazines....(1998-99 or so).

#23 Jason D, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  4. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

The two most memorable things for me about the ban were that it did nothing to reduce crime and it drove the prices of all the good stuff through the roof.

:steamed:

#24 NEOH212, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  5. Well, you still have a larger grip, longer barrel, and sight radius. But yes, it's pretty silly, overall.

6. I remember that after Bill Clinton signed it into Law & it stayed on the books till apx 2006 It did not do a Dam thing to bring down or stop any Firearms Gun crimes at all.? It was a worthless Law that put restrictions on number of mag rouinds some States like mine can own or use etc.& now D. Feinstein ( Cal.D) wants to re introduce it again.? & Again it will nmot do anything to stop any gun crimes etc.?

7. This and no bayonet lugs and/or flash suppressors.

8. I remember wanting an AR but being too poor to afford one.

I also remember all the hype around high cap mags and how it drove prices through the roof, once again, I was too poor to afford any of it. My cousin was really into it and had more cash than me, we went to every gun show and store in FL and he would by ammo, Glock mags, "tactical shotguns", AR's, etc. I sat back and watched the madness sort of shaking my head at what he was paying for some of this stuff and how he was "hoarding", I guess it's time for round two.

My financial situation is much better this time around but it drives me nuts to see the hype, panic and shortages that this crap brings with it which has absolutely no effect on crime in any way shape or form. Just maddening!

#28 roger123, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  9. MrMurphy

MrMurphy *********
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

I was six months too young to buy anything legally, and it sucked.

Hi-caps were available, though expensive, right up till the day the ban went away. I was working in a gunshop then and we had just about everything available, just not cheap.

10. Being only 20 I really don't remember the AWB but all this hysteria is teaching me something. Best to gradually stock up on mags, ammo, etc. before this sort of thing happens. That way you have everything you need without paying $150 for a 33 round Glock 18 mag.

11. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

Bought my first AR during the ban... a new 16" Bushmaster XM15-E2S/A2 carbine... fixed stock, no bayo lug or flash hider, but a perfectly good rifle. Came with a couple of lame 10 round mags, but used military 30 rounders weren't all that hard to find at shows; and weren't THAT expensive. Bought a handful of those, stripped them down and refinished the bodies, then replaced the followers and springs to create essentially new mags.

Still have the rifle and the mags... though the fixed stock got replaced with a collapsible one in 2004 when the ban expired.

The biggest annoyance for me was not being able to get standard capacity mags for my Glock 19. Bought that during the ban too, and it came with a pair of blocked 10 rounders. Pre-ban Glock mags were nowhere near as plentiful as AR mags and were priced accordingly. Didn't really stock up on standard capacity mags for the Glock until the ban expired.

Generally the ban was a useless PITA and caused many of us to pay more for the stuff we wanted than we should have... and it had ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on the violent crime it was supposed to prevent. Stupid, clueless politicians. :steamed:

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

For most people with average sized hands, those guns push the edge of what is manageable for a solid master grip. The compromise is the amount of ammo inside the grip, but without the number of rounds, there is no reason to compromise and the focus shifts back to getting a gun that fits you over a gun with highest capacity.

13. Three day waiting period on handgun purchases.

14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

We actually had a 15 day wait period forever in CA and then sometime during the 90's, it got reduced to a 10 day wait and it's still the same now, so we never knew about having no wait periods or anything less in CA.

15. kirgi08

kirgi08 Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

Even for LEO.'08.

16. i remember my Sig p229 .9mm coming with one regular magazine. i wrote Sig a letter about this to complain. they sent me a 10 round mag in the mail for free...

17. I was about two years old so not much.

18. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

Well, I only remember the back end of it, I couldn't even own a gun when it was passed. I seem to remember that heavily used 30 round pre ban USGI mags were going for around $20 or so when I bought my first AR15. However, there are a LOT more AR15 owners now than there was in 2002~.

Then again, ammo was cheap back then. $80 for 500 rounds of brass cased .223.

#38 RMTactical, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  19. If you're a hotrod guy, I'm sure it was like being in about 1971, with all of the good stuff going away, being replaced by kinder, gentler versions that kinda looked the same. It stunk, and I started in '04 gathering what I may need, should it ever happen again. And, now the day may soon be upon us.

20. I remember finding g17 mags for $79.99 from CDNN. I was so ecstatic to find them at they price as every other source has them for $100-135.

I also remember the sad feeling of watching ar15 rifles going from $750 and then overnight going to $1300 and then jumping again magically to $1800...then $2300....

I also remember meeting a guy who had purchased 100 ar15 rifles just before the ban. He sat on them and flipped them later and paid off his mortgage.