close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What do you consider accurate?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by auto-5, May 12, 2012.

1. auto-5

auto-5

Nov 13, 2011
    I guess I am not talking about a type of rifle/pistol but rather the size of target it should be able to hit. Growing up I was taught you needed to be able to hit a target the size of a paper plate in order to make an ethical kill. If you couldn’t hit that paper plate every time at 300 yards than yu shouldn’t be taking that long of shots.

2. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I was taught the same thing as it applies to large game animals. I have seen nothing to cotradict it yet.

My father used a piece of notebook paper (paper plates weren't that common in my youth)at about 125 yds. when I could place three consecutive shots solidly on it unsupported then I was ready to go hunting. But I was still expected to use a rest if possible in the field.

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    If I hit what I'm aiming at, it's accurate enough :supergrin:

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    Obviously accuracy is very dependent on weapon and range. I feel a person should be ably to cleanly place all shots inside an 8" circle at any distance they choose to shoot. I'm mostly a handgun guy so ranges are typically shorter. I can cleanly hit an 8" circle offhand out to 50 yards with almost every gun I own(snubbies are not normally shot this far).

5. auto-5

auto-5

Nov 13, 2011
    Well to an extent this is kinda what I am getting at. The range I go to is mainly a pistol range. Good for off hand shooting to but mainly pistols. Plenty of guys line up 15 yards away from full silhouette targets and blast away and call that practice. Hell i could throw the gun and be just as accurate at these lug heads.

6. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Have you ever seen how big the targets are at the CMP Matches? They are way bigger than a paper plate.

In Ohio, we can't use a rifle for deer. We are limited to shotguns or Blackpowder rifles. I was taught you should be able to put all your rounds in a 6" pie plate at 75-100 yards.

With a rifle, I am not good as I want to be but I am working on it. Just not sure what that magic number is though.

a couple of years ago at a CMP event I scored in the 320's out of a possible 400 at 200 yards with iron sights. A 15 year old girl in the lane next to me, shot in the 360's. :faint:I felt like a dope.

7. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    But you are not trying to make a clean/humane kill on a CMP target.

8. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    True, but all shots do count. The tighter the group the better.

9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    Really depends on the purpose of the gun and how far I'm shooting.

My double rifles will do about a 3-4 inch composite group, at 100 yds. Thats pretty A-ok to me.

conversely, my bolt hunting gun, shoots in the 1/2 inch range at 100 yds.

for most of the rest, about 1 inch(ish) at 100 yds is the general rule of thumb.

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    IMO the 8" bull on a 100yrd target should determine my max range, whatever distance I can hit it at.

11. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    I consider 1 moa at 100 yds with a scoped Rifle in most any caliber to be gtg.
    As for Pistols 3" to 4" is about the best I can do at 15yds.

12. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    I'm usually using the small targets (like 2-3 inches) up to 10-15 yards and I'm really trying my best to make the hits. Most of the times I can hit those targets, but sometimes I can't.
    However the smaller practice target helps a lot when I'm shooting my qualification on human silhouette size targets.
    By then the target seems HUGE and I feel far more comfortable knowing its size. I feel no pressure on pin point accuracy.
    For the long guns I'm not big on the optics (to say at least), so for me 75-100 yards is the limit even for the rifle.
    I'm not planning to go any farther anyway.

13. 8-Ball

8-Ball Drifting Cowboy

Aug 30, 2004
    Illinois
    Aim small, miss small.

I've never asked myself "am I accurate enough?" I've only told myself "I need to be more accurate".

Never settle for accuracy, you can always improve.

14. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA
    I always managed about a 8-10 inch group at the 500 yard line on the silouette. Once I got my windage dialed in. That was with the standard Marine Corps poodle shooter.

Handgunning, all depends on the gun. My old Hi Standard will constantly ring a 12 inch gong out to about 100 yards.

My glock, I can ring it maybe half that if I'm lucky.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    I agree with you!:supergrin:

16. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I'm happy if I can walk to the hundred yard target without having to stop to go to the bathroom...

17. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Great point :supergrin:

18. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    My accuracy standards are very high.

Rifles - must be capable of hitting a paper plate at 200 yards or it's gone. (I strive to keep 5 shots inside the diameter of a 'clay pigeon' at 200 yds.) Most of my rifles will do considerably better than that.

Handguns - must be capable of grouping inside a fist sized area at 25 yards.

Archery - must be capable of grouping 3 shots inside of a styrofoam cup at 25 yards.

19. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I want my rifles to shoot 2 MOA or better. The only one I regularly shoot that doesn't is my Garand - I forgive it for that. IT's really the main reason I'm going to sell my AKM. It drives me nuts to see 6" groups at 100 yards.

My handguns are purely self-defense, and I practice rapid-fire with them, so softball-size groups at 7 yards is fine with me.