close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What do you all think about a single shotgun?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by drider, Jan 22, 2010.

1. drider

drider

Mar 13, 2009
    Hi all i want to hear what are your thoughts about a single shotgun, that only holds one round? I may just buy one to find out since they are only $100. Who makes them, and are they pretty dead reliable?

2. Jeager106

Jeager106

Sep 23, 2005
    Ohio
    One presumes to think you mean a single shot shotgun??? Yes?
    It will do litterally anything a repeater will do but, sadly, it will only do it once.
    Personally I would not waste $100.00 bucks on a single shot when they can be had used about any place for between $45 and $75 bucks.
    I would put a 5 shell carrier on the stock, one of the elastic WalMart carrier things for under 10 bucks and learn to shot , break it down, eject the empty, reload and be ready to shoot again.
    Chances are real good a 2nd shot won't ever be needed.
    You may consider cutting the barrel down to about 22/24 inches.
    No need for a real shorty like 18 inches as the muzzle blast will flat blind you and you won't be able to hear anything for a week.
    Most single shots are chambered in 3 inch so I'd go with a serious load, like #4 buck.
    Just a few thoughts since you ask.
    I would not feel real handicapped with a single shot 12 bore loaded heavy.

3. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    For hunting yes, rabbits and birds don't shoot back. Not for defense. Be warned, they are lighter so the recoil is heavy and that 3" magnum round will rock your world. If you do cut down the barrel as sugested above the recoil is even worse.

4. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

May 8, 2004
    sticks
    link-This video gives some demonstration on use of a single-shot for defense.

I'd probably choose one over a .22 rimfire and maybe even a handgun for home defense, but some quality pump shotguns are also relatively inexpensive. They also provide quicker follow-up shots, if needed. If the average defensive encounter truly averages 2.3 seconds, then this might come in handy.
    They are about as reliable and simplistic as a design can get. But pumps, double-barrels and even autos have proven to last generations as well.

5. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Ala-freakin'-bama
    I keep an NEF in 20g toward the front of the safe for snake defense.

6. space_weazel

space_weazel

Sep 26, 2005
    Or-e-Gone?
    I bought a NEF 12ga and chopped it down to 18.5 just for kicks, it was $50. I get the aguilia shorts and teach newbies how to shoot trap / skeet.

7. inzone

inzone

Aug 20, 2009
    I pick these up everytime i see a good deal on them....I have a whole gaggle of them, I use them primarily to keep on hand to give to family and kin if shtf, they are about the simplest yet most effective CQB weapon, especially for inexperienced shooters.... they provide an inexpensive little CQB force multiplier and also they provide dome redundancy for your semi-auto shotties and pumps. I know they are the prefered firearm in jungles and swamps by bush folk because they are so simple that they dont malfunctin do to humidity and muck and are so easy to clean.

8. The H&R single shot shotguns, Topper and Pardner, offer a very high degree of value for your money, IMO. (FYI...the H&R brand now includes all single shots formerly branded NEF. Since 2007, the only NEF-branded guns are the imported pump and auto shotguns). They are solid and reliable. I have upwards of 20 pump guns, several of all the major brands, but few, if any, are a better value than the H&R single shots. JMO.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  9. drider

drider

Mar 13, 2009
  10. The single shot works fine. The need for fast 2nd shots is somewhat over-rated, and the single shot, when you learn to use it, can maintain a pretty good rate of fire. Is it as good as a more sophisticated gun? No, but it will work for most situations.

11. "shoot what you got" Clint Smith

forward men.....for God sake FORWARD!!!!

12. gnepig

gnepig Remember

Oct 13, 2009
    Fl

I like this way of thinking... Everyone I know knows I collect guns and most have some idea that when the shtf that they will just show up at my house and I will start handing out guns and ammo. Yeah, well, I say good luck with that. But I think collecting cheap shotguns is a great idea to share with friends and family. (crap, now I gotta get another safe...)

BTW, a 12 ga single shot shotgun was my very first gun, got it from my dad for my 16th birthday.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  13. desertfox

desertfox <font color="red">Suspended</font>

Apr 6, 2005
    Arizona
    I have a single shoot handed down from my dad. he used to huint with it. I remember sitting in the blind watching him duck hunt with it. when I got old enough and he up-graded to a semi-auto (Christmas Present from us) I got that single shot. I still have it in the back of the safe.

14. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Look for a good used Savage-Stevens 94 in 12 gauge. Should be found anywhere for well under 100 bucks. Very, very common.

These guns are built like a tank. It may not look like much outside, but they are reliable. Ignore the fact that the case colors are long gone, and the barrel blue has rusted and thinned.

You won't find anything as well-made today. I don't think we even make steel like this anymore in the United States.

Cut the 30" barrel back to 22." Re-blue the barrel with cold blue, applied to a warmed barrel. You can polish the barrel first with steel wool, or better yet, have someone who owns an air-blast-gun bead-blast it for you to a matte finish.

Paint the stock and fore end, or sand lightly and refinish with Minwax stain.

Polish the action with steel wool to a gray satin if you want to, and leave it in the white. Or bead blast it to matte gray.

Load it with 2 3/4" Federal 00 Buckshot, with the Flite-Control wad.

I love these old guns!

-ET

15. krush777

krush777

Jan 19, 2010
    Planning to get one for my daughter also. I figured it would be good "first gun" for her to shoot with.

16. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Overrated. Hardly. Single shots should be used for hunting non dangerous game only.
    pat

17. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    I carry a light weight single shot 12 gauge when I go camping. I shortened the barrel to 18 inches and shortened and lightened the buttstock. Can load and reload pretty fast with practice. I chose a single shot for camping because it's much lighter weight than other actions. I carry 2 3/4 inch slugs for it. I wouldn't get too cheap of a single shot though.

18. If a single shot is all you got they will work just fine for self defense, learn how to operate it like Clint Smith shows and you will probably do fine.

But, if you are going to buy a single shot shotgun for $100 for another $50 or so you can get a used pump action Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88. There also are a lot of older Stevens, Savage, and store brand pump shotguns out there for $100-$150. I've bought 2 Mossberg 500's for less than $87 each at auctions.

If you are going to chop the barrel anyways on the single shot you can do the same thing on the pump gun.