close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What constitutes valid religious beliefs?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Gunhaver, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    For instance, if I were a Muslim or a Jew that kept kosher and I went to prison they would have to provide me with special meals based on my religious beliefs. What if my religion said that I'm to partake of steak and lobster once a day and enjoy the company of a beautiful woman once a week? How do we decide what beliefs deserve accommodation and what beliefs don't?

It seems to me like a lot of us could be getting away with a lot more if we just jumped on the religion bandwagon. Gay people could make gay their religion and enjoy protection from being discriminated against for it. The whole DADT deal would have never needed to happen if the government was telling people that they couldn't join because they belonged to the religion of Gay. Anybody could open their own business and just call it their religion and no more taxes. The possibilities are endless.

2. I know what your are trying to do here, but for clarity sake, I will tell you that at my work place, they only respect prayer time. We have muslim instructors who require prayer time at 12 noon, so they are excuse from any duty at that time. Same goes for our. Catholic instructors who are allowed to come late or leave early on ash wednesday or any other day of obligation cause they have to go to mass. As far as diet acommodations and any other type of acomodations are non-existant. Then again that is at my work place. Every employer is different.

3. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    As long as you can show you have an established religious belief, I don't see an issue. For instance, Atheists seem to be obsessed with speghetti and meatballs for some unknown reason.:supergrin:

4. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012

So it has to already be established? Is that because of the assumption that with many thousands of different religions out there one of them has to be right so we don't need any more?

5. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Of, which, Atheism is one. Though, it has an odd doctrine:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyR_XOWzc6s"]The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster - YouTube[/ame]

6. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    A cult is an unpopular religion, whereas a religion is a popular cult.

7. Altaris

Altaris

Feb 16, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Yup.

Con enough people, especially those with power, to follow you and you too can create your own religion!

8. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM

Nice.

9. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    It seems that if it is culturally accepted as valid, then it can be considered for religious exception.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  10. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Actually, you are think occult, which simply means "Against Culture"; so, just going by the numbers no matter where you go Atheism is actually occult.

11. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    How so?

12. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM

A cult is a group that worships together.

SDA is a cult more then Atheism will ever be. Unless this is another Atheism is a religion thread.

13. ksg0245

ksg0245

Feb 28, 2008
    California
    Nope.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/occult
    noun : matters regarded as involving the action or influence of supernatural or supernormal powers or some secret knowledge of them —used with the

adj : 1 : not revealed : secret
    2 : not easily apprehended or understood : abstruse, mysterious
    3 : hidden from view : concealed
    4 : of or relating to the occult
    5 : not manifest or detectable by clinical methods alone <occult carcinoma>; also : not present in macroscopic amounts <occult blood in a stool>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult
    1 : formal religious veneration : worship
    2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
    b : the object of such devotion
    c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

14. The legal criteria used by the IRS is disputed by the International Coalition for Religious Freedom. Here is the IRS criteria. The link that follows is an article refuting the criteria.

a distinct legal existence,
    a recognized creed and form of worship,
    a definite and distinct ecclesiastical government,
    a formal code of doctrine and discipline
    a distinct religious history,
    a membership not associated with any other church or denomination,
    an organization of ordained ministers,
    ordained ministers selected after completing prescribed studies,
    a literature of its own,
    established places of worship,
    regular congregations,
    regular religious services,
    Sunday schools for religious instruction of the young,
    school for the preparation of its ministers.

http://www.religiousfreedom.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=431&Itemid=442

15. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Apr 22, 2007
    North Idaho

Let it go, Syclone, Art can't seem to grasp the concept and the horse has been dead a long long time.

16. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    Well that's quite a lot of hoops to jump through. Has the IRS not seen Webster's Dictionary?

17. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    There's a lot of Football fans paying taxes that don't need to, they're exempt!

Randy

18. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Pastafarianism is not Atheism.

19. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Define it. Considering where you are comming from, I see a strong sense of irony.

20. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    When asking for equal or special treatment, lots of things have become religious beliefs, including atheism.

I had a medic once that was a rastafarian, and said he could not eat pork, so he got the special kosher MRE's, which are a nice change. That lasted till I caught him eating an egg and bacon biscuit on two occasions. Shared misery breeds comradery. Watching people get special treatment breeds friction.